Been a while, But I think it's time again ;)

Wurkkos

Jefff

Well it's been a bit since I have posted up on here .. I had found my perfect light That kept me happy for some time now.. A Modded Q3 TWOJ running on my Shan 123's .. Pretty decent run times.. Awesome light and free lumen's for going on 2 years now give or take a little.. I have used this little light for everything under the sun and was very happy with it.. And Just after Moving up here to NW Ohio to be closer to family, my Step father had mentioned how cool the little light was after using it around his place and just yesterday at his buddies farm to put on a tractor tire right as it was getting dark out.. He said again Man that little sucker comes in handy and puts off some good light.. He said I'll give ya a dollar for that half jokingly.. I replied, yeah I have had this little light on me pretty much every minute since the day it showed up to the house after trading another light for it from my flashlight forum..
He said Ok then I'll give ya $2 bucks for it then .. hehe. I just smiled and said here ya go..How about if I just give it to ya.. I will get another one.. and handed it to him and told him tomarrow I will bring the other batteries and charger to it for ya.. Funny thing was it took me 3 more hours trying to convence him to keep it.. telling him no man just keep it lol .. you will get good use out of it.. Besides it's about time for me to get another cool little light..

So here we are yet again.. looking on here for another cool little light that I can keep and use just like that little Q3.. But this time I want a little more run time and a bit more light output if there is such a beast out there for around the same price range. $30-40 bucks.. and that will run on Rechargable 123's. Any help would be greatly apperciated, seeing I have been out of the game for some time now and not sure what is good out there and what isn't..

Thanks for your time

Jeff

Lobo

I don't know that much about cr123 lights, since I prefer standard batteries, but I can give it a try.

Well, I dont know how bright your modded Q3 is. But I remember when I signed up here, the Q3 was the light on everybody talked about, but then came fenix, and I rarely hear anything about the q3 anymore. So almost anything you buy now, will beat the Q3. I mean, Fenix L1p outperforms the Q3 on AA alkalines, and that's an old light, plenty of clones with better performance now.
If you're not a white wall hunter and very picky about the beam, the new Fenix P1D CE (with the new cree led) seems to be the bees knees. But it's performance on rechargables isn't optimal. But on primarey it's screaming bright, and three variable lvls of light and strobe and sosmode (which I find gimmicky, but some people like). But it's 70USD. For 50USD you can get the P1D with a luxeon led, and still A LOT brighter than the Q3, and longer runtime on the lower lvls. Don't know how it works on rechargables but guess it's like the cree version. No lvls, only full blast.

Another good cr123 is the older Fenix P1, bright, 2hours with cr123, 40USD, input voltage: 1.5V~3.7V so rechargables should be ok.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p1.htm

Sorry that I only mention fenixlights and that I dont one of the mentioned, sure there are plenty others that would suit you, but theese ones are mentioned a lot here.

But if I where you, and if you're not in a immediate need of a new flashlight, I would wait a while. The P1D CE is the first massproduced cree light, and there are surely a lot of them coming the next few months, and they will spank the luxeon lights butt so hard that their mothers will feel it.

Lumapower has a cree also that looks nice, but no multilevels.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143409&highlight=lumapower+cree

Jefff

Hey Lobo Thanks .. I am gonna have to check out the specks on this new cree light.. is it a whole other class than the Luxeon? wow things sure do advance fast even in the flashlight world..

jsr

Not sure what Shans 123s are...if they're Li-Ion rechargables, then your Q3 was probably as bright as most current 1x123A lights available when running on primaries.

Do you still want a clicky? Many of the 1x123A lights now are twisties due to the demand for smaller size. Lobo already mentioned the Fenix offerings (P1, P1D, P1D CE) which are very small and twisties. I have the P1, nice light, good strong finish, very good regulation, very bright on R123As (Li-Ion), but no clicky. The Lumapower LM-303 is smaller than the Q3, narrower, and has a clicky and only $27 shipped. Not sure how bright it is tho, but should similar to your Q3 on R123A. There's also the Spiderfire Waion's offering in the Dealer's forum. A screaming deal for $30 shipped for a 1x123A light with an additional 2AA extender and 3V xenon bulb all in the package! The Pelican M1 2310 (new version with tail switch) is nice, has very long runtime, but only about as bright or a tad brighter than the stock Q3 was on primaries. It runs around $40. The Huntlight FT-02 or FT-02X available at JSburlys.com is a great deal also. Runs on primary 123A or Li-Ion R123As, attractive, and has good regulation. Probably the brightest of the ones with clickies.

carrot

The new light that's being hyped is the Fenix P1D CE -- a Cree XRE based light that runs off of 1xCR123 and offers 3 regulated output levels and emergency features (strobe and SOS).

It'll happily take a 1xRCR123 but you lose the 3 output levels. It's still bright and regulated, though.

Cree XRE is the new "big thing" as it is much more efficient than a LuxIII and brighter than a LuxV at the same drive levels. I don't know much more about it, except that Cree has managed to refine the manufacturing process where there is much less variation within a bin.

Having just gotten recently, I have to say it's a brilliant little light, bright and still very pocketable. It is smaller than the QIII too.

adirondackdestroyer

If you are willing to spend a little more I highly recomend the Fenix P1D CE. As others have said above it will take a rechargable 123 cell but will then only have the high level instead of having high,medium, and low output. When on the rechargable cell it will be fully regulated and will run for around 40 minutes with VERY VERY bright output! Probabley around 2.5-3 times as bright as your Q3.

Jefff

Wow Great feedback.. now just too decide on one.. I really like the clicky for one hand instant operation.. The one level on high for the P1D CE is fine with me.. but 40 minutes run on full bright is still not pulling my chain for that price... I am not sure on the exact run time of my Q3 with the Shan r123 Li's .. But I am pretty sure it would run for a good while longer than 40 minutes.. with great bright white light output.. it would get warm but I had modded the heat sink and was running a TWOJ bin with 4.2v driving it.. it was plenty bright.. :) I chose the SHAN batteries because they would flicker before dying rather than just shutting off at the end of the cycle.. I have a plain blue label 4.2 also that would just leave me in the dark with no warning..

I will check these little light's out you guys have offered up and see what I can decide on .. wish I could get em all.. I'm sure that's not the first time someone has thought that on this site lol ..

Here is another helpful desire I have when choosing.. I am looking for a tactical looking light, preferably black HA coated or dark in color.. and not really into plastic lights..

Again Thank all you guys for your time and input and help with this..

Jeff

Jefff

Ok the Huntlight brand has caught my eye.. Can you give any more details on what ones are going to work with RCR123's and the best light out put along with best runtime

This one Huntlight FT-01PJ 3watt Luxeon 2x123 has a nice price but is there still a problem running 2x rcr123's or is there a stickpack battery that will run it in rechargable and if so any one have a link to it.. 80Lumens Two 3V CR 123A or one 18650?? ( Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium ) battery , inexpensive and widely available 4-hour working time
The price is really good..

I will probally wait to get into the Cree lights till the price's start to drop seeing that they are fresh and still in big demand..

also Huntlight FT-02 3watt Luxeon 1x123 or FT-02XJ out of these 3 what one would be the better choice..