benchmade vs SOG knife quality?

G

grandchamp87

Newly Enlightened
I can tell you from experience that benchmade is superior to SOG knives. They are well constructed, and hold an edge very well. I tried the SOG knives, but found myself sharpening more often then I had with my other brands. On a side note, I am also a fan of the Gerber knives. The best grip I ever had on a knife was on one of my Gerbers, Skinned many animals with it and it hasn't slipped once. Plenty enough "grippy".

B

Bullzeyebill

Staff member
Moving this to the Knives forum.

Bill

C

canadadude2

Newly Enlightened
To me, Benchmade are undoubtedly the finer knife in everyway. There's no comparison really. Benchmade are pretty straight forward, no bells and whistles, just great knives.

K

knifeowningguy

Newly Enlightened
Benchmades are much, much better than SOGs. SOGs are more comparable to the cheaper Kershaws, only a much worse value. I recently purchased a Flash II, and what a terrible value it was. It cost me $67, and used AUS-8 steel and the handle was entirely made out of a cheap, soft plastic. No steel liners, nothing. Wouldn't be that big a deal necessarily if they used a hard, high quality plastic, but the didn't. SOG has better knives than the flash, but they're also considerably more expensive. You can get a Kershaw Leek for under $40, and it's made of aluminum, is a better design and a better steel. SOGs are a rip-off. Benchmades are on a whole other level above either of them, but of course there's also a price premium for that. Pretty sure the only Benchmade that can reallybe had for under $100 is the Griptilian. Griptilians are really nice knives though, so you get what you pay for.