Beryllium Copper Rotary Anniversary Run

Wurkkos

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Re: Beryllium Copper Executive and Rotary Anniversary Run

Guys, wait for 351D tests for final decision.

d13avo

Enlightened

Yeah I'm going to wait but I like the Nichia 219B so probably will end up with the 4500K version. I'll have a look on the internet for some comparison beam shots between the 351D and 219B to try and get a sneak preview before the results are released.

Guys, wait for 351D tests for final decision.

glimmer

Newly Enlightened

I own a 351D light (rated 90+ CRI fwiw), and several Nichia 219B's. I've compared the 4000K versions of each, side by side. The Nichia has slightly richer, more vibrant colors.

Obviously, there are other factors like efficiency, output, beam, etc..., so it would be difficult to call one or the other "better", but the Nichia shows colors better to my eye.

d13avo

Enlightened

Thank you glimmer, most helpful. You wouldn't have any photos?, we like photos :twothumbs

I own a 351D light (rated 90+ CRI fwiw), and several Nichia 219B's. I've compared the 4000K versions of each, side by side. The Nichia has slightly richer, more vibrant colors.

Obviously, there are other factors like efficiency, output, beam, etc..., so it would be difficult to call one or the other "better", but the Nichia shows colors better to my eye.

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened

I am really curious what others are thinking as well for emitter choices. It will be exciting to see if any of the other choices under evaluation are offered. Personally, I like the high noon for daytime work, like engine repair, but love warmer colors like the 3500K by the nightstand in complete dark conditions. Personally though I am leaning toward the Nichia 219B 4000K as it is my favorite all around user LED I have found so far, not too warm, not too cool, with outstanding color rendering.

It still begs the question though, what goes best in BeCu?

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

I have no dog in this fight but a warm metal needs a warm emitter. Loving this 90CRI 3000K XPG2 in my WM61LLLL it is very pleasant. I would definitely be fine with a rotary with this emitter.

d13avo

Enlightened

I have no dog in this fight but a warm metal needs a warm emitter. Loving this 90CRI 3000K XPG2 in my WM61LLLL it is very pleasant. I would definitely be fine with a rotary with this emitter.

I was thinking exactly the same as you but I was going to make this my main user so thought 4000K to 5000K would be a more useful light than 3000K. My Brass has the 3500K fitted and it stays on my bedside table.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

The pre-order for the run of Beryllium Copper Rotary flashlights has ended. We will produce a few extra. After the pre-orders have shipped around the end of the year, we will offer any remaining lights at a base price of $1250.
It sounds like the decision was done on how much BeCus are made. Therefore how much of this babies will be made. I am sooooooo curious :D

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Hogo,

any news about the BeCu-Run? :poke: :kiss:
screen-shot-2020-05-19-at-3-12-22-pm.png

screen-shot-2020-05-19-at-3-12-40-pm.png

:popcorn::poke::popcorn:;)

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Real update.
Some of the BeCu switch caps arrived for us to proof. I wasn't there but Henry called me and said they looked really good.
I won't be back to HDS until Monday, so I will see about getting a photo.

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter

That looks really sweet.. man I’m gonna be itching for one of those lights some day

Stoneking

Enlightened
Hogo, is there any special marking for the Anniversary Light in the works or should I stop asking questions and wait to see?

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be cool if the BeCu will be marked somehow as Anniversary Light. I do not know if it is possible doing this laser engraving on the "tailcap ring". I guess "35 years HDS" would fit.
But if not and on the BeCu bezel only "BeCu #XX or "Beryllium #xx" is marked it would also be fine.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Got an email last night from Henry! The emitter choices he offered (while they last) for the BeCu were:

NB30 (Nichia 219B, 180 lumens, 3000°K, 96 CRI)
NB35 (Nichia 219B, 200 lumens, 3500°K, 96 CRI)
NB40 (Nichia 219B, 200 lumens, 4000°K, 96 CRI)
NB45 (Nichia 219B, 200 lumens, 4500°K, 96 CRI)
SS40 (Luminus, 225 lumens, 4000°K, 94 CRI)
SDR50 (Samsung, 300 lumens, 5000°K, 90 CRI)
SDW55 (Samsung, 300 lumens, 5500°K, 90 CRI)

Wow, tough choices! I ultimately went with the NB40 solely for it’s superior color rendering. I have the 5k Samsung in another brands light and the color rendering is very good and when viewed on its own looks great. But when crossing beams (my bad) against the Nichia, the difference to my eyes is fairly dramatic. I can’t comment on beam shape since the Samsung I have is in a smaller, shallower AA reflector. There’s a lot to be said for the greater efficiency and output from the Samsung...all in all, I don’t think there’s a bad choice anywhere on this list!
I’m hoping that SDW55 will be available for the Stainless...