Best 1xAA like Lumintop Tool AA 2.0 only with better clip and nicer LED

cpfnovo

Newly Enlightened
Haha! Thanks for that. Fortunately for me, I don't use clips so I think it might be my huckleberry

Right! If you take clips out of the equation, it's a great flashlight for sure. Especially re: the "value" proposition. It's the kind you can buy a bunch of and not worry about misplacing a few.

bulbaroo

Newly Enlightened
Wow, nice collection there. I too am on the lookout for a new 1xAA. Any chance you can comment on which of those in your 1xAA collection have the most gripy knurled handle? I prefer the sharpest knurls, but from the photos it appears they are sanded over somewhat. Thanks

GuitarZnGunz

Newly Enlightened
I very much appreciate this thread, I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have many of the same flashlights as you. I will be ordering the Streamlight 1-AA pocket clip for my Tool AA's. OP what do you think of the Fenix PD25 as to me it seems to check all of the boxes, I haven't purchased one yet though.

nbp

Flashaholic
Was the Streamlight 880104 the best clip you (or anyone else) found for the Tool? I just picked up a Tool 2.0 Illumn Edition in copper with the Luminus SST20 emitter and it is a nice little light but I agree the clip stinks. Deep carry with a firmer grip would be good. It's a bit heavy for its size, naturally.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Was the Streamlight 880104 the best clip you (or anyone else) found for the Tool? I just picked up a Tool 2.0 Illumn Edition in copper with the Luminus SST20 emitter and it is a nice little light but I agree the clip stinks. Deep carry with a firmer grip would be good. It's a bit heavy for its size, naturally.

Putting on that SL clip is going to tear-up that copper.

nbp

Flashaholic
It's a $35 light; not exactly a shelf queen. Haha. But I hear you. Can it be slid on from the end of the light instead of pushed around it?

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood; I appreciate it. :) I might buy one and give it a try....gently.

You can also try to drinking straw method. Use a plastic straw, when flattened, is wide enough to cover the arms of the clip. Cut small sections to act as masking to prevent the clip from scratching the light. Pop the clip on, then pull the straw segments off. Reverse the steps to remove the clip without marring the surface.

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah, that's a good idea. A slippery layer that can be yanked out once it is in position is probably the way to go.

boo5ted

Enlightened

Benchmade clip, couple screws and viola.

49762343706_19a54aab8c_c.jpg

49732779742_31718e41dc_c.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
Oooh, I like that. How hard was it to bend the clip so it sat flush against the radius of the light?

boo5ted

Enlightened
Oooh, I like that. How hard was it to bend the clip so it sat flush against the radius of the light?
Not hard at all, I used two plyers and slowly bent it until it was close to the shape of the tail of the light.

Nah, don't like that at all. Takes away an important feature for an EDC in my opinion.

Tail standing? This one doesn't need to as it was my EDC for work in an automotive shop. Out of all of my EDC lights I've never once needed any of them to tail stand.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks, I will have to explore that. I never thought of using tiny screws and nuts to hold something to the lanyard slot but that's a nice solution. The only time I really tail stand lights is at home and I have lots to choose from there so I wouldn't care that much if one out of many couldn't do it.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Thanks, I will have to explore that. I never thought of using tiny screws and nuts to hold something to the lanyard slot but that's a nice solution. The only time I really tail stand lights is at home and I have lots to choose from there so I wouldn't care that much if one out of many couldn't do it.

Well original plan was to tap the lanyard hole and just use the screws. Stupid me drilled the holes too big and had to come up with plan B lol. It's been over a year since I've done it and the clip and screws are holding up just fine.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast

This Convoy clip will work. It fits the Convoy AA, so it'll fit the Tool AA.

Latest posts