Best 3.0V RCR123? AW LiFePO4 any good?

gunga

Flashaholic
Thaks for the tip Gimpy. I have updated my posts and title to refect the LiFePO4 chemistry.

Also, like any good CPF, I bought both. Have the 3.7V high current RCR123's and just ordered the 3.2V LiFePO4. Seemed like the best solution for free lumens. The 3.7's weren't necessary but I just wanted to see how bright stuff got with Li-on.

:D

bridgman

Enlightened
Another thanks for the warning. I have updated my post as well.

Has anyone seen runtime numbers for a Fenix P1D-CE on a single LiFePO4 cell compared with a single CR123a primary ? That would seem to be a pretty good benchmark. I'll search around...

>>The best brand of RCR123 protected cells are from Maha rated at [font=arial,helvetica]2300mah+[/font]

Aren't those the larger CR-V3 cells ?

Last edited:

max52

Newly Enlightened
I know the reccomendation of the Unprotected Powerizer 3.0 Volt may not be popular with some. I have had good luck with them. They are cheap, pull amps like a champion, and have been tested as having good capacity by silver fox. I use them in my M6 with the MN20 lamp. I simply check them often, balance them with other Powerizer 3.0 Volt cells, and if I overdischarge I just throw away.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
bridgman said:
Another thanks for the warning. I have updated my post as well.

Has anyone seen runtime numbers for a Fenix P1D-CE on a single LiFePO4 cell compared with a single CR123a primary ? That would seem to be a pretty good benchmark. I'll search around...

>>The best brand of RCR123 protected cells are from Maha rated at [font=arial,helvetica]2300mah+[/font]

Aren't those the larger CR-V3 cells ?

I use one of AW's LiFePO4 123 cells in my P1D-CE, but haven't done any runtime tests/comparisons. I tend to use it in relatively short bursts a few times a day. After maybe 1 1/2 months using the cell, I have yet to recharge it.

- Chris

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been watching LiFePO4 now for about a year or two and use the Dewalt 36V (actually 32.5V) LiFePO4 drill system. A123 Systems makes the cells and they can kick out around 20 to 30C with no problems. The mighty dewalt can pull 750 watts (1 HP) from the 32.5V 2.3 AH pack.

My hope is that either A123 Systems improves the capacity since they initially claimed 4 AH for the pack but no news. One day they might make RCR123 3.25V batteries and 3.25V in AA size but I'm not holding my breath. As I enter the dream sequence, the A123 Systems "nano-technology" 3.25V 1250mAH "AA" cell slides into my L1D CE and I can run max output for an hour.

Some nut just blasted the electric motorcycle 1/4 mile record at around 8.1 seconds at over 155 MPH running 990 A123 Systems cells (same ones in the Dewalt packs) Serious cells... company is slower than anyone at bringing out anything different with their cells.

Since A123 is content on building one cell size, maybe that company building ultra-capacitors will have their new factory complete by the projected late 2007 date so life should get really interesting. :thumbsup:

The old catch 22, LiFePO4 has to sell in the millions to increase capacity and different sizes but... in the meantime it is Eneloops for me and Cree LEDs to keep them efficient. One day... :popcorn:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> LiFePO4 ... in AA size but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm wishing right along with you.