Best 9 Volt Rechargeable Batteries

Chacho

Newly Enlightened
What are the best 9 volt rechargeable batteries, and the best 9 volt charger?

Etsu

Enlightened
I've been using the Accumanager-20 charger, along with their Accupower 9 volt NiMH batteries (200 mah) for many years. While I love the charger, I'm not overly impressed with the 9v rechargeable batteries. They worked fine for a few years, but then started to die. About half of them wouldn't hold a charge, and the other half would self-discharge within a few days.

I took the dead ones apart to test the individual cells that they're composed of (it contained 8 AAAA cells). Usually, it was just 1 or 2 completely dead cells that killed the whole battery. The other cells seem okay. I don't think this is a big surprise: put that many cells in series and some of them are going to get over-charged and over-discharged on a regular basis, leading to failure.

So overall, I'm not too happy about the concept of 9v rechargeables. Without any way to charge the cells independently, you're going to get early failures.

But, the Accumanager-20 charger is a great smart charger for charging all kinds of formats and chemistry. It does AAA, AA, C, D, and 9v. It will charge NiMH, NiCad, and rechargeable alkalines. I think it's still being sold, and I've used mine regularly for over 10 years. I'm not sure if they also sell 9v rechargeable batteries, but whatever brand you get it will charge them. Oh, it also charges AAAA cells that make up a 9v battery, but you have to destroy the battery to get the cells!

Viking

Enlightened
I agree with the post above.
And in top of that the high price of these batteries , means they rarely will be able to pay for them selfs in the long run.

If you however decides to buy them anyway. Recharge them considerable sooner than you normally would , to minimize the risk of reverse charging one of the cells inside.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the Tenergy two bay smart charger and four Centura LSD 9v cells for over a year and they're still doing well and going strong for about $28 shipped off of Ebay.

Chris

Turak

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any insight as to how the 9v lithium cells perform overall.

Less cells inside = less prone to early failure??

I have not used any and was thinking of giving them a try.

Chacho

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

After reading the replies I think I will use 9 volt alkalines.

The reason I am inquiring about 9 volt batteries is because I am about to purchase an array of Skylink burgalar alarm acessories and all of the parts use 9 volt batteries as power or as backup power.

I too have about 5 rechargeable 9 volt batteries purchased years ago, and a cheap 2 bay charger of some kind from Amazon. Three of the five 9 volt batteries I have failed years ago, while the remaining two are still going.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies.

After reading the replies I think I will use 9 volt alkalines.

The reason I am inquiring about 9 volt batteries is because I am about to purchase an array of Skylink burgalar alarm acessories and all of the parts use 9 volt batteries as power or as backup power.

I too have about 5 rechargeable 9 volt batteries purchased years ago, and a cheap 2 bay charger of some kind from Amazon. Three of the five 9 volt batteries I have failed years ago, while the remaining two are still going.

I've got an ADT wireless system and it takes primary CR123As and while I might be able to use LiFePO4s in the sensors, I don't muck with it. They last a couple of years and I don't mind that expense.

You're probably better off with alkalines, or ultra 9v primaries and just call it the 'cost of doing business.'

Chris

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Vapex instant 200mah pre-charged 9v battery`s they seem to work fine though i have not done any capacity tests, and i also charge them in my Accumanager 20 charger as well :)

John.

kingwellenergy

Newly Enlightened
The power out of these 9 volt rechargeable batteries ranges between 400 - 600 mAh (milliampere-hours), and power your 9 volt device for longer than NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride) chemistry 9 volt rechargeables. 9 volt NiMh's are rated from 250 -300 mAh, clearly making 9 volt Lithiums twice as strong with twice the power (run time).

IonicBond

Enlightened
9V is a strange world, but I generally prefer a "smart" 9v charger like the Maha PowerEx MH-C490F.

Along with that, are the differing nominal "9v" battery ranges that Imedion / Maha provides - like 7.2v, 8.4, or 9.6v batteries in both the Imedion lsd versions, and the standard discharge Maha versions.

Choose wisely - the 9.6v models after full charging are WELL above 9.6v when measured unloaded! Make sure your device can accept a higher voltage until the load pulls them down.