Best AA edc flashlight?

fulee9999

Enlightened
If we mean format, not fuel, then Peak El Capitan or FocusWorks F2, if you mean fueltype then Malkoff MDC AA

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite AA format is the ReyLight LAN Ti. I enjoy everything about it, the tint, the low low, the styling, the fact that it can take primaries, eneloops or 14500 cells. And, I'm a sucker for Ti what can I say. The clip is the only lackluster part in my opinion and it is still halfway decent compared to other cheapo clips.
Hard to beat dual fuel. That's why the Reylight Lan's are my go-to lights. Lithium 3.7v or in a SHTF scenario it will run on 1.5v alkalines and NiMh. Tritium to find it quickly in the dark and tailstand capability.
I agree!

beyond aluminium...
The Titanium LAN is the total package.. dual fuel, high cri, great beam profile, great UI, great tailswitch feel, a fully captive clip, plus Tritium option installed by Rey.

oWLzKrG.jpg

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always been about duel fuel lights. You aren't always near a charger or have a battery pack near by, I like easily replaceable cells you can find at a store. Just in case I am camping or something.
For edc pocket carry, I find it more convenient to have a smaller usb rechargeable light that doesn't take leaky alkalines for everyday use. The Nitecore TIP 2 can be clipped to a hat or stuck to metal with the magnet for hands free use. Has settings from 1 to 720 lumens to cover most bases. For duel fuel, I go with 21700. Nitecore E4K and MH10 v.2 have plenty of options to power them (I carry one or the other). Remember, two is one and one is none in survival. Always have a spare. It's okay if one has limitations as long as it's not all you carry. If it was an emergency, I'd at least have a Luci Lux Pro lantern, a 12 volt USB adapter for the car, a usb battery pack, or a Goal Zero solar panel to charge the lights.

Leaky alkalines have soured me on carrying lights that take those batteries. I'll carry a 1AAA light like a Olight I3E Eos or Fenix E01 v.2 with an eneloop, but at the price of decent 1AA lights, you're looking at $30+ and can just as easily go with something like a Nitecore TIP SE or any number of other lithium ion options.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Does dual fuel but different body size count? All m31 and single mode mdc 3v Malkoffs run about 30% on a single aa. Don't know if multimodes do the same because I don't have one but I doubt it. Lately my favorite is a m31w running a single aa for a non aggressive front door light. Good for spotting packages left by delivery people and dogs…

Last edited:

fuyume

Enlightened
After now using a fenix E12 for a bit, I love it. However I wonder what is your guys best edc AA flashlight?
I replaced my Fenix E12v2 as my EDC with a Nitecore EC11, but if I had been able to get a Nitecore EA11, the AA/14500 version, I would have preferred that. The main advantage for me is having access to the red secondary LED with a single button press. Sadly, Nitecore discontinued both the EA11 and EC11.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does dual fuel but different body size count? All m31 and single mode mdc 3v Malkoffs run about 30% on a single aa. Don't know if multimodes do the same because I don't have one but I doubt it. Lately my favorite is a m31w for a non aggressive front door light. Good for spotting packages left by delivery people and dogs…

Malkoff won't get any love in this thread, which is always humorous

ledbetter

Enlightened
Malkoff MDC AA. Does everything, great size and feel, replaceable parts. Can even do other drop-ins with a VME in a pinch.
Just ordered my first sst20 mdc aa. Trying it in neutral since I like the m61n with the sst20. Sold my 219b aa here, just didn't love it- pink with rings. Reflector seems to work best with xpg, xpl and now the sst. Have an old aa with a cool xpg that is a pure white with no green. Not as bright as the xpg2 but looks better to me.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I wonder if I should try Nitecore. I've stayed away from what I would consider off brands from what is used at my job. If it ain't streamlight, surefire or pelican, most poo poo on it. So far, I've been impressed with fenix, olight, foursevens and I guess I will try more.

Arcadefreak49

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen's AA EDC in my opinion as I carry this in the winter would be the Eagletac D25A MKII Version. Prefer a Nimh battery in it. Will also take a 14500 for bragging rights.

Vemice

Enlightened
Peak Logan 17500 with adapter kit will run on not only 17500s but also CR123A, AA and AAA primary Alkaline and Lithium ion batteries and AAA and AA Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeable batteries can also be used.
Very rugged build and made in the US (if that matters).
aBqKWFQl.jpg

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff won't get any love in this thread, which is always humorous
How so? It's actually pretty understandable why for me, I kind of have a love/hate relationship with my MDC AA. FIrst is it's only a 3 mode light and the first mode is just too dim to be taking up 1/3 of the modes. The bigger dislike for me however is the bizarre use of on time for mode switching rather than off time. I can't count how many times where I had a quick "what's that?" *go into momentary medium* "oh" *releases momentary switch* situation. Now in any other light, the light would either remember medium if it has a memory or revert to low if the light doesn't have memory. Not the Malkoff. It'll come on in high after one of those situations, which honestly, for me, is quite often.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
ON-time memory for me is the same as next-mode memory (there's basically no difference if you use your light in short bursts) -- trash :barf: Give me OFF-time memory or no memory at all.
Dare to explain a bit more? All that I know is "latched memory" (ie. light returns to your previously used mode).

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Dare to explain a bit more? All that I know is "latched memory" (ie. light returns to your previously used mode).
Next-mode memory is a feature of cheap lights. Say it has Lo-Mid-Hi, if you turn it off it'll turn on in the immediately following mode, which is a nuisance and has zero benefit; for it to turn on in the mode you actually want, you need to do a full cycle and stop in the mode before the one you want (i.e. for it to start on Lo you gotta shut it off on Hi). Far too much faff.

ON-time memory needs the light to stay on for a certain amount of time (e.g. 5 seconds) to memorize it; if it stays on for less than that (per the example, 3 seconds), it'll jump to the next mode after it shuts off. If you, like me, tend to use your light in short bursts, you'll trigger it to jump to the next mode rather than the one you were, exactly like next-mode memory does.

A much better alternative is OFF-time memory, where the memory storage depends on how long the light stays off. This way, short-burst usage as I mentioned has no effect on memory.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MDC series needs to be on for more than 1 second to reset to low mode, otherwise the next time you turn it on, it''l go into the next mode. In theory, that doesn't seem like a big deal, 1 second isn't that long, right? In actual use, at least my usage, it leads to undesirable mode changing.

EDIT: Also, if you are using a 3 mode light with a forward clicky, clicked into medium, you would normally click it off and back on to get to high. The MDC would require you to click off, momentary press, momentary press, then another press and click.

Last edited:

ledbetter

Enlightened
Too funny. One man's trash is another's treasure. Even though my favorite lights are single mode with hi/lo, the only multi mode lights I use are MDC and forward clickies. Can't stand reverse clicky nonsense. What could be simpler? Use light and it will start on lowlow or advance modes quickly and the next start will be on the next higher mode. That's it!