Best AA or AAA light EDC

M

Mowgli25

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a every day carry light to be used with eneloops or primaries.

Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $50.

Format:

____I want a flashlight.

Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).

What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today’s most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)

How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).

Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

Not a twist light

updates.
I would like more throw then flood but a middle range would be good also.
size requirements

lenght- 100mm max
body size- 25mm max

im having trouble finding a light in that size range since i would like a AA light over a AAA. it must have a buttom to turn on not twist.

Last edited:
J

joe1512

Enlightened
You have tons of great options. Heres what I would look for:

An XP-G emitter. At your power levels, an XM-L is kind of overkill and costs a lot more for little gain.

A clickey. Many keychain varieties are twisties. The slightly bigger ones are more "EDC" category.

How about batteries? Do you have CR123s? Those will be the brightest, but they are expensive. A 2xAA light will have the same brightness nowdays though its kind of long. A single AA light will be a better EDC, so you might go with CR123 if you really want the extra brightness.

go to goinggear.com and click flashlight, 1xAA and see what all is available. Narrow it down some THEN re-post.

G

GaAslamp

Enlightened
You've started a fair number of threads in this forum--are you looking for a lot of different flashlights, or just refining your requirements?

Anyway, take a look at these:

Klarus P1A
Klarus ST10
JETBeam PA01
JETBeam BA10
Fenix E11
Sunwayman C10A
Olight T15-T
iTP SA1

M

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
Looks like there's still an available Klarus ST10 available at Going Gear's Garage Sale in the CPF Marketplace.

R

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say your specs are very wide and generous, except price... it's like asking "who makes a <$50 AAA or AA light?"

M

Mowgli25

Newly Enlightened
updated with sizes. i didnt have a meter with me to measure my old light at the time i posted

trevordurden

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind not having a low mode, there's always the xenos e03.

G

GaAslamp

Enlightened
updates.
I would like more throw then flood but a middle range would be good also.
size requirements

lenght- 100mm max
body size- 25mm max

im having trouble finding a light in that size range since i would like a AA light over a AAA. it must have a buttom to turn on not twist.

The short length requirement is going to limit throw, but there are still some decent options available:

JETBeam PA01 - The most compact of the bunch, but has the least throw. Reverse clicky tail switch.

Fenix E11 - A bit larger than the PA01 and lower in total output, but has slightly better throw. Forward clicky tail switch.

Sunwayman C10A - Seems to have better throw than the PA01 and E11 due to its deeper reflector. Electronic clicky tail switch.

Fenix LD10 - Best throw of the bunch, but barely fits within your length and budget requirements. Reverse clicky tail switch.

M

Mowgli25

Newly Enlightened
would i be better going with AAAs or would that be mainly a floody light? Trying to keep it around $40

G

GaAslamp

Enlightened
would i be better going with AAAs or would that be mainly a floody light? Trying to keep it around $40

Most 1xAAA flashlights are more floody than throwy. The few that are throwy in terms of beam pattern are either twisties or have low output and therefore won't throw very well anyway. The ones that have sufficient output are either twisties or outside of your price range. The 4Sevens Preon 1 with the optional clicky tail cap and the Tiablo E3A are the closest to what you're looking for in a 1xAAA flashlight, but they're both over $40 and neither is a good thrower per output.

In general, you'd be better off with a 1xAA flashlight in this size range, but your revised budget requirement eliminates the best options that I've managed to find, leaving pretty much only the Fenix E11, which isn't a great thrower. Based on your other requirements, you'd probably be happiest with the Fenix LD10, but that's in the $50 range. Allowing for a few additional millimeters of length would increase the number of options available to you.

F

fccwpe

Newly Enlightened
If you can go ~$50 then I would go with the Fenix LD20 R5. I have one and it sounds like what you may want.

link removed

EDIT: Fenix LD20 is a longer than the 100mm that you want. 6 inches compared to about 4 inches.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mowgli25

Newly Enlightened
I guess I can go with a twist light to be able to get more output and throw. What are my options with this them. I also wouldn't mind a few mm more as long as its not inches more

D

davecroft

Enlightened
I have a few single AA lights. The best throwers are the Fenix E11 and Jetbeam BA10. Although neither are really very 'throwy', these two seem to illuminates objects further away better than the Mini AA or Fenix LD15, for example. And they both have tail switches.

GForGeep

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
A small AAA thrower I would suggest is the Streamlight Microstream. Its a 1 mode 28 lumen light with a pretty deep reflector for its size and I think it has the best throw for a AAA light, not to mention its ~$15. Worth a try and if you dont like it, i'll be happy to buy it from you :)

M

Mowgli25

Newly Enlightened
A little high in price but how are the eagle tac lights?