Best bicycle flashlight for <$80?

Wurkkos

noisebeam

I would never compromise my safety or use too little light.

I've used over the years first tungsten, then small LED lights, a Cygolight 6.5Wx2 halogen w/NiMH 5Ah 'water bottle' battery, a TrailTech 10W HID with Li-ion battery pack. The small LED/tungsten lights were all that was affordable/available 10yrs ago the other two lights developed daily use reliability issues, with poor wire connections, bad switches and the batteries (due to lack of smart charging, poor battery configuration, no independent cell access) soon didn't maintain full capacity - all with replacements that were higher than the then current value of the light. I've also cycled with many folks who use the state of the art $500+ systems and know their capabilities.

In the end using a Fenix L2D/LD20 is the most reliable and easy to maintain light I've used and is bright enough for all conditions/speeds I've cycled in. I know this light will last 'forever' and replacement cells will never be an issue. I know that the two cells I put in will give me 1:45 on turbo and that two (or four) I put in my jersey will give 2x-3x more time. The same can't be said of 'custom' battery packs that can't be evaluated with a charger like the maha c9000 - when they lose power early on the road you are stuck.

I can depend on the L2D/LD20 to reliably provide the quantity and duration light I need for safety - I've never had that confidence prior.

Last edited:

larcal

o mount them to the bike, the TwoFish Lockblocks are a good choice and are widely recommended here. They are available, among other places, at 4Sevens, a very well-respected dealer and supporter of CPF. He would have the Fenix lights also.

No, these fishies totally suck with the ld20. when you push on the switch the light revolves, cause you can't get it tight enough, regardless of thickness of bar or putting tape underneath. I actually tried it. amazing as that may seem.

Last edited:

Sherbona

No, these fishies totally suck with the ld20. when you push on the switch the light revolves, cause you can't get it tight enough, regardless of thickness of bar or putting tape underneath. I actually tried it. amazing as that may seem.

That's really odd because that is not my experience at all. The Twofish Lockblocks work great with my LD20s. It is plenty tight and does not shift or revolve when the switch is pushed on. They have worked good for pleny of people in bike-focused forums too.