Best bike light?

bonermaster

Newly Enlightened
check out the blackburn flea, its super small, charges on a usb and is honestly plenty bright at 40 lumens...i found that my super bright flashahollic lights just weren't necessary for most night rides

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
Do a search on DX for "mc-e warm" and pick any of the first 4 (I like that later 2). You'll get plenty of light, a much better tint for outdoors and a host that you can upgrade in the future.

I'd go with the 9-led DX light, much better than the 5-led. Also if you search for "red 501b" on DX is a nice red, 18650 flashlight (host is also upgradable) that if I had to chose only one rear light I'd go with that..much brighter than any blinking light.

The lockblocks on DX and Kai are a bit taller than those on 4sevens, work just as good. Only worth the extra to me if you plan on helmet mounting.

You might want to try some wheel lights too.:whistle:

How about this XP-G light from Dx? 320 lumens and 5 modes:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33549, $21. Haven't tried it, but looks like a lot of bang for the buck.

eupremier

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

I've read through the various posts across the forum but cannot find any relevant thread on "Best Bicycle Light" for 2010. I know one guy has collated earlier posts but the most recent is 2007! Technology has moved on and I understand HID was the way forward over LED back then? (i.e Lupine Edison 5)

Regarding this post, IMO, 'Best' bicycle light means "best" not "my budget is $18-$50"!

Some of you guys have provided detailed advice but based only on a limited budget. Can you please provide a recommendation for a bicycle light with massive light output, waterproof, durable, strobe & steady, flood/spot combined with a 1.5hrs steady run time?

I'm not overly fussy about weight so a battery-pack /light, component-style kit is fine so long as bicycle-specific mounting components are bundled in the pack.

Now, to be fair regarding budget, $50 is low-end compared with not getting killed cycling at night but brands like Lupine & AYUP seem to be wildly expensive @ $400 territory. I assume this to be marketing & Tour de France sponsorship recovery tactics rather than €300 worth of gold-plated lighting tech..!

So, my question is, can this high-end stuff be bought closer to manufacturing cost via Asia or a less greedy Western brand perhaps at the $80 -$150 range depending on features?

Thanks for your advice in advance,

Regards,

Greg

tandem

Enlightened
What parameters then?

For road or single track riding? City commuting or way out yonder no street lights at all highway riding?

Best bike light under 200$ then? No titanium allowed? Or how about "best production" bike light, cutting out the custom makers which often as not don't have stock anyway.

Are we talking about best light period, or best flashlight that works well as a bike light? Or best AA cell driven flashlight that works well as a bike light? Or best flashlight regardless of battery technology that works as a bike light?

eupremier

Newly Enlightened
What parameters then?

For road or single track riding? City commuting or way out yonder no street lights at all highway riding?

Best bike light under 200$ then? No titanium allowed? Or how about "best production" bike light, cutting out the custom makers which often as not don't have stock anyway.

Are we talking about best light period, or best flashlight that works well as a bike light? Or best AA cell driven flashlight that works well as a bike light? Or best flashlight regardless of battery technology that works as a bike light?

Hi Tandem, thanks for your reply...

It'll be dark here (Ireland) by 4pm approx once winter settles in and it'll be after this that I'll be cycling. I shall be commuting between the city and the countryside along some unlit roads.

Primarily, I want to be able to clearly see where I'm going and be seen by oncoming motorists. I have a few CATEYE brand rear strobing LEDs in RED and they seem to be adequate so it's really the front that I'm primarily concerned about.

To answer your specific questions:

1. Road-use with City & Way out yonder!
  2. Not fussy about Titanium, Carbon Fibre, Gold, Silver or Platinum:) and I think I'm happiest with the reliability and back-up of a production outfit rather than a back-yard inventor! I'd hope to only have to buy only one of these every 4 or 5 years at this money territory, if ever again! However, I'm not rigid on price -if the holy grail is $205 or $250 I'd consider it for sure. I do think that $400 is madness though-for a bike light. In my business, we import from Asia and the prices we pay for stuff is far less than what's charged on websites etc. Therefore, as I'm a consumer in this regard (bike-light) I can't help wondering if someone somewhere is buying my $400 light, for example, for $50 off a Chinaman?
  3. I suppose it's important that the light comes with a purpose-built bracket for bikes so a flashlight that moonlights as a bike-light won't really cut it?
  4. If it has to be one choice -I'd say best light period: Designed for bikes whether on or off-road. Max brightness with a blend of spot and flood to illuminate my passage effectively. Battery... Li-Ion perhaps, rechargeable pack that clips to the crossbar? I'd need 2hrs of run-time per charge at least.
Researching on the 'net I've seen these:

SECA: http://www.bikelightingsystem.com/seca1400.html $700! I just cannot understand how they keep a straight face at these prices? Am I being ignorant? Is there more technology in this light than a Laptop PC -which I could easily buy for less? :shakehead

LUPINE: http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=45 $1000 approx! The Lupine Betty II 14. Manufacturer page: http://www.lupine.de/web/en/technology/betty/lenssystem

AYUP: http://www.ayup-lights.com/systems/lighting-systems/ $300 (2 light kit)- $520 (4 light kit) -These seem a bit more sensible?

I am not an LED, HID or any other kind of light expert. I'm a consumer and I want to get a light that won't leak with rain (Irish rain :devil:-submersible!!), will sit well on the bike and not point in the wrong direction after each bump and won't weigh 5kgs!

Again, thanks for your help,

Greg

tandem

Enlightened
That Lupine system really is something else. Multiple LED's - probably way too much power for your particular use. If you were bombing around downhill on a rough mountain trail (or no trail) perhaps I could see that light being of use, but if I were doing that sort of riding I'd save the $1,000 and buy another bike (or part of one) or spend more at the pub or pocket the savings... and ride in the day time instead.

Two Planet Bike Blaze 2W lights might solve your problem... that'd cost $68 CAD at a walk in store in my city (which gets plenty of rain). Being bike specific they come with quick release mounts and are geared to cyclists. Sometimes I put two on my wife's bike, one on flash, one on high. Certainly you'll be seen, and I suspect unless you are a racer, you'll be able to see. Might be worth a visit to a bike shop to see if you can get a trial.

Myself I've been leaning towards repurposing flashlights lately - I like the flexibility of using them, and often as not you can get one that uses pretty cutting edge technology.

Another option for you is the Magicshine which gets discussed here and on bikeforums.net frequently - bike specific but fairly low cost.

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
Hi Tandem, thanks for your reply...

It'll be dark here (Ireland) by 4pm approx once winter settles in and it'll be after this that I'll be cycling. I shall be commuting between the city and the countryside along some unlit roads.

Researching on the 'net I've seen these:

SECA: http://www.bikelightingsystem.com/seca1400.html $700! I just cannot understand how they keep a straight face at these prices? Am I being ignorant? Is there more technology in this light than a Laptop PC -which I could easily buy for less? :shakehead

LUPINE: http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=45 $1000 approx! The Lupine Betty II 14. Manufacturer page: http://www.lupine.de/web/en/technology/betty/lenssystem

AYUP: http://www.ayup-lights.com/systems/lighting-systems/ $300 (2 light kit)- $520 (4 light kit) -These seem a bit more sensible?

I am not an LED, HID or any other kind of light expert. I'm a consumer and I want to get a light that won't leak with rain (Irish rain :devil:-submersible!!), will sit well on the bike and not point in the wrong direction after each bump and won't weigh 5kgs!

Again, thanks for your help,

Greg

Greg, you really should add the Amoeba to your list. They look really good.
Ultralightweight, lots brighter than an AyUp, pretty waterproof, $220 or so.
http://amoebalight.blogspot.com/

2x Cree XP-G R5 LED's (spot beam pattern) - ~600 lumens total output
regulated at 800ma. Single mode – on/off
anodized aluminum housing (matte silver, bright silver, or dark bronze)
Optical grade Lexan front cover, rubber switch cover, Trail Tech connectors, waterproof cable gland
7.4V 2400mAh rechargeable Li-Ion Battery w/ 1.2 amp smart fast charger
Trail Tech jumper cable
~3 1/2 hours runtime - ~3 hour charge time with a total weight of 159 grams

$220 dollars (plus $10 Priority shipping in the USA) for 1 light head, battery, smart charger, charger adaptor cable.

Handle bar mounts for $10.

$40 for extra 3hr batteries.

markus_i

Enlightened

1. Road-use with City & Way out yonder!
  2. Not fussy about Titanium, Carbon Fibre, Gold, Silver or Platinum:) and I think I'm happiest with the reliability and back-up of a production outfit rather than a back-yard inventor! I'd hope to only have to buy only one of these every 4 or 5 years at this money territory, if ever again! However, I'm not rigid on price -if the holy grail is $205 or $250 I'd consider it for sure. I do think that $400 is madness though-for a bike light. In my business, we import from Asia and the prices we pay for stuff is far less than what's charged on websites etc. Therefore, as I'm a consumer in this regard (bike-light) I can't help wondering if someone somewhere is buying my $400 light, for example, for $50 off a Chinaman?
  3. I suppose it's important that the light comes with a purpose-built bracket for bikes so a flashlight that moonlights as a bike-light won't really cut it?
  4. If it has to be one choice -I'd say best light period: Designed for bikes whether on or off-road. Max brightness with a blend of spot and flood to illuminate my passage effectively. Battery... Li-Ion perhaps, rechargeable pack that clips to the crossbar? I'd need 2hrs of run-time per charge at least.

Ok, so if I'm flying off on the wrong tangent, just ignore me, but: have you considered a dynamo light? At your price bracket, the SON/Edelux combo (considered 'best bikelight' by many who do long distance commuting and/or touring) is out, but you should be able to fit in:
- Shimano/Sanyo/SRAM hub dynamo
- a set of spokes (or alternatively, if you're not willing/able to re-build your wheel, a new front wheel with hub dynamo, e.g. through eBay)
- a b&m Cyo front light (and maybe a Toplight Line rear light) at eBay or Amazon prices

That will get you:
- enough light to see up to maybe 25..30 kph
- ample light to be seen (especially from the rear)
- no maintenance (unless the bearings in the dynamo give out - the main known weakness of the Shimano hub dynamos, but not worse than other Shimano cup/cone bearings, just basically impossible to open up, grease and re-seal)
- no batteries to charge or forget
- basically infinite runtime (or at least as long as you can ride your bike)

Drag is negligible - opening a zipper on your jacket is worse.

Bye
Markus