Best bin for rechargable 123??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I hope this is the correct area for this post as it is mostly dealing with battery and Luxeon combination....
If all goes well I will shortly have several different combinations of Luxeons in ARC LS lights. I also have some rechargable batteries coming for my Q111 and I am wondering which one of my ARC lights would do best,if any, on these rechargables. I have one TWOH at667 mAh and a search showed that this one could maybe smoke if used with these so I am not touching that one....it is a LitFuse Classic..hehe
I will have also 1 TWOK at 667mAh - 1 SWOK at 667mAh and 1 factory LSHP that is already nice and white.I am not sure if I want to bump the current on the factory LSHP yet so that is also an issue that I do not know. I know both the K bin luxeons are the same VF but I am not sure on the LSHP that I may leave stock. If I leave the light stock will it handle the rechargables and if I bump the current will the factory luxeon be ok as well. Should I try the K bin mods on the rechargables?...basically out of all the lights would any be suitable for rechargables? If not I will be fine by keeping these for my Q111 but I would also like guilt free lumens from my trusty ARCs as well if possible. Thanks for any help.
Has anyone else noticed that it takes me forever to get to my question?..haha sorry bout that but I do tend to ramble on at times.

Robocop

I am not really sure what bin my LSHP is but if I was going to use rechargables would it also be best to leave the current at factory level?

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current is not the issue here but the vf of the led. I don't think TWOH would last long with a rechargeable 123. A "j" bin would be as low as I'd go as it will still be overdriven. A TWOK would be perfect as it's vf is exactly in the range of the li-ion's voltage.

Robocop

Billson thank you for the advice. The TWOH is without a doubt the finest light I own and I am leaving it alone. The tint is awesome and with good runtime and brightness as well. I have two K bin luxeons on the way so it looks like I am in luck. Thanks again

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost went with a TW0K for my Q3, but decided on a TW0J instead so that it will be brighter on regular lithiums. We shall see if a 4.2v 123 burns the star /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we are to follow evan9162's tests, The K bin would eventually shift towards a J bin so a J bin might not be a good idea to start with after all if it's voltage falls to H levels.

Robocop

Thanks for the link and that was a very interesting read. I try to rotate my carry light as a back up on duty and most of the time my better mods see little use for long periods. I am kind of partial to my LitFuse mod and have carried it the longest. I have been rotating out with my QIII lately but I keep going back to the old faithful ARC. I am wondering now what the TWOH Luxeon vf would drop down to with heavy use?...

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Robocop said:
Thanks for the link and that was a very interesting read. I try to rotate my carry light as a back up on duty and most of the time my better mods see little use for long periods. I am kind of partial to my LitFuse mod and have carried it the longest. I have been rotating out with my QIII lately but I keep going back to the old faithful ARC. I am wondering now what the TWOH Luxeon vf would drop down to with heavy use?...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome Robocop.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have J bin DD lights that pull like 1200mA.. haven't measured lately but they are similar in brightness to the lionheart, at least the one that has the same reflector.. they are taking a beating and keep on working just as nice as the day i first lit them up. The light is 50% heatsink by volume though so that may have something to do with it.

When i use R123 i use an LDO driver to hold bat the power to about 3W.. much better runtime and flat output.. costs me about $2-3 in parts to build the driver and it's well documented in this forum.

-awr

Latest posts