Best cell to use in a flashlight stored in a car???

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Hi Vidpro

I am familiar with those cells, but they are all 3.6 V (lithium-thionyl chloride) or 3.0 V (lithium-mno2) nominal voltages.

The response from pck50 above seemed to imply that there were 1.5 V lithium cells available in C and D sizes.

Cheers,
BG

awyeah

Enlightened
Best Battery Chemistry for Storage in Car?

I'm looking for a new light to keep in my car. I live in Northeastern Ohio, so the weather can be anywhere from 0 to 90 Fahrenheit, with occasional extremes a little further. Obviously, things are hotter inside a car. What's the best and safest battery chemistry to use in this situation?

Thanks!

Raze

Enlightened
Best Battery Chemistry for Storage in Car?

Lithium primaries like the Energizer L91 would be a good bet. Else, LSD NiMH cell is another option since it is more leak-resistant than Alkalines. God forbid those Long-Life Super Heavy-Duty Carbon-Zincs!

To me, chances are that when one is gonna reach for the flashlight that resides in the car, it's would be during a situation where and when it's crucial to rely upon that light. When it matters the most, Lithium primaries are the best option, IMHO.

I keep a Rayovac Indestructible 2xAA loaded with L91s and this flashlight lives in the glove box.

Other than that, having a headlamp is God-sent, a lesson learnt when I had to change a flat tire alone, during a rainy night at 2 AM. Holding a light by jamming it between your neck and shoulder while both of your hands were wrenching lug nuts loose is pure torture. I think I musta have walked with my head tilted to one side for a couple of days after that. Kept a Petzl Tikka2 Plus with L92s in the boot ever since.

Tsportmat

Newly Enlightened
Re: Best Battery Chemistry for Storage in Car?

I have kept a Mini Maglite with LED upgrade packed with a couple of eneloops in my car for about a year. No problems so far and no high discharge. I'm in England so won't get the weather extremes like some of you, however the car gets pretty hot in the summer.

I like the fact that they're rechargeable, every few months I can bring them out, run a test cycle on the BC-700 to see that everything is fine. I do have one pack of Energizer Lithiums for real emergencies too - it would have to be an emergency to get me to use £2 per cell primaries!!

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
Since my OP I have converted into an Eneloop addict. Although my EDC has a protected 14500, most everything else has eneloops, car lights included. This has worked out well. I do bring them in every couple of months to cycle them and top them off.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
I have a Olight M-30 with AW 2600 Li-ions in it that's been riding in my door pocket for a couple of years with no problems. It gets used now and then so I just swap out the batterys for a fully charged set after using a few times. I don't rely on just one light and always have at least a couple with me. If I go out of town I bring along a charger.
Billy

Yamabushi

Enlightened
My first thought is to put Eneloops in them, but I was not sure if the extreme temperature changes would kill the cells.

Eneloop product data sheet states the following storage temperature ranges: Less than 90 days -20°C (-4°F) - 40°C (104°F) Less than 1year -20°C (-4°F) - 30°C (86°F)

The temperature in a closed car on a sunny day can easily reach 60°C (140°F).

mccririck

Enlightened
Not sure why you'd bother with an eneloop in a flashlight that isnt used much. you'd be better with an Energizer Lithium - they have a very long shelf life, and 1.6V so when you do need it it's going to be bright.

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
According to data from the energizer website, lithium L91 batteries can be stored up to 140 deg F. If one lives somewhere that sees outside temps in the summer exceed 100 degrees, is it still safe to store lithium primaries in the car?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to data from the energizer website, lithium L91 batteries can be stored up to 140 deg F. If one lives somewhere that sees outside temps in the summer exceed 100 degrees, is it still safe to store lithium primaries in the car?

No it is not safe to get the lithium or li-ion batteries that hot. many California temperature testings of cars in no shade , dark car color, windows up, sun blazing in, got temps of 144*F, 146*F , and 151*F even. And you know someone has thier li-ion gps sitting there in the direct sun, its gonna happen.

I always think about all the other things in the $$$$$ car that also do not like temps, including the handsfree (using li-ion) and the gps device and the laser in the cd player, and lcd screens, the components of the cars computer, even the plastic ages way faster. Address the whole car. Reflective window shades, light colored covers, air entry somewhere (when safe to do so) keeping the battery item out of "direct" sun, finding cooler and better insulated locations of the car. Depending on the car, there can be cooler areas, that are not effected as much by direct sun.

Last edited:

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
No it is not safe to get the lithium or li-ion batteries that hot. many California temperature testings of cars in no shade , dark car color, windows up, sun blazing in, got temps of 144*F, 146*F , and 151*F even. And you know someone has thier li-ion gps sitting there in the direct sun, its gonna happen.

That's what I thought. This is why I use alkaline batteries for my car flashlight. Yes, they can leak, but they will not vent-with-flame!

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Jetbeam PA40 as my car light for several reasons. Polymer means it won't freeze bare hands, but is big enough to grip well with gloves on. Also it takes standard AA which my EDC also does. It is a 4 x AA light currently I have it loaded up with 4 Duraloops that I top off every few months just to be safe. But lately it's been quite chilly here (closing in on -20C some nights) and I've been wondering if those Duraloops will faulter under high current drain when I really need them if the light is that cold. I have 4 L91s sitting right beside the PA40 in a case. My logic is to have them as a failsafe backup to the Duraloops. I'm wondering now if I should just replace the Duraloops with more L91s, I use the light very infrequently.

The only thing that bothers me about that is that once I "crack the seal" on the L91s I can't really be sure how much charge they have left, and it's silly but that bothers me for some reason, though I guess the PA40s battery meter should ensure there are no surprises. Also if I get to the point where I know that I've used about half the capacity in the cells the OCD in me would rather put in fresh cells but it's so wasteful especially since I use rechargeables on everything else so I wouildn't have anywhere to use them really. Haha is this mentaility common among users who always use rechargeables rather than primary?

What do you think, keep the Duraloops or just go all L91? I'm in Canada where 4 x L91 are not as cheap down in the US.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
wiggle , ya cant discharge test a primary :) then use it, I know the feeling. something had to be higher than -20*F if the human is going to survive there, so there is always body warming it. there is also having a quad of the primary as contained spares?

mccririck

Enlightened
Energizer type Lithiums all the way, they have a use by date of about 15 years in the future, they're 1.6V, and unless your car's going to be getting stupid hot they're the most reliable battery to have in your light.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's pretty cold today, guess I could always take that cold PA40 and leave it outside my window for a cold weather runtime test to see how the duraloops stand up on the high modes. Haha and yes I find that aspect of primaries a bit weird, I like being able to discharge to confirm how long a cell can work, with primaries you just have to count on it.