Best charger for 10180 cells.

De-Lux

Enlightened
I just purchase a Peak Eiger with a 10180 body and was having a hard time finding a suitable charger. Apparently, the only charger that is recommended is the Powerstream coin cell charger which is no longer in production. Also, I heard that some are using the Nano AAA but it seems that these are also hard to find these days. Does anyone know of an alternative to these chargers that is still being produced and sold? Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

De-Lux

Enlightened

Norm,
Thanks for the reply. The Nano charger has the proper voltage (3.7) but 450mA is way to high for the 10180 this is why AW recommends a 3.7 volt coin cell charger that charges at 20-40mA. I currently have a Nano for RCR 123's but that would most likely fry a 10180 cell. Is there anyone currently using 10180 cells with success? And if so, what charger works best? Thanks for your time.

De-Lux

Enlightened
Best charger for 10180 cells?

I just purchase a Peak Eiger with a 10180 body and was having a hard time finding a suitable charger. Apparently, the only charger that is recommended by AW for 10180 cells is the Powerstream coin cell charger which is no longer in production. I heard that some are using the Nano AAA but it seems that these are also hard to find these days. I am also under the impression that a 3.7 volt charger that will charge at 20-40mA is ideal. Does anyone know of such a charger that is still being produced and sold? Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

MWClint

Enlightened

De-Lux

Enlightened
Re: Best charger for 10180 cells?

Clint,
Thanks so much. Looks like it will do the trick. Should also work for 10280 cells as well.:twothumbs

Flenser

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyone currently using 10180 cells with success? And if so, what charger works best? Thanks for your time.

I've used the Nano charger that came with my Lummi Raw and Wee to charge the 10180 that goes in the Wee. It seems to work fine, although I've been careful to pull the battery when the charger's light goes green.

I saw the AW notice to use a coin cell charger, but a bit of searching didn't turn anything up, so I shrugged and used the Nano, assuming that Lummi wouldn't provide something that didn't work.

If I'm doing something dangerous, hopefully someone will let me know, and recommend something less dangerous.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use a 10440/AAA Nano charger with spacers

hazna

Enlightened
thanks for that link for batteryspace... ~$6 is pretty cheap for the unit. However, I tried putting shipping to australia... it's $70!!!

De-Lux

Enlightened
I also started a thread in the Peak LED section of the forum (Sorry for multiple threads on the same subject). MWClint recommended this charger.
Click here for thread.
Definitely more expensive than the coin cell charger but seems to have more range meaning that it should work as well with 10280 as well as 10440 cells. Not to mention that the coin cell charger would have to be slightly modified to work with Non-coin cell type batteries. Also the fact that it is portable (runs off of 4 AA batteries) is a plus as well IMHO.

I spoke with Kurt from Peak LED about using the Nano AAA for 10180 cells and he did not recommend it.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I use the Delkin Devices Charger for my 10180. It needs a spacer and I use the magnets that came with my Wee. I haven't done hard testing, but it does have about 1C for output (4.9V / 0.1A) It costs about $20 and comes with a battery. The battery isn't very good. It runs down very quickly. But again, it's the charger you want.

My old thread on the charger is Charging 10180 Cells (Lummi Wee)

Last edited:

De-Lux

Enlightened
I use the Delkin Devices Charger for my 10180. It needs a spacer and I use the magnets that came with my Wee. I haven't done hard testing, but it does have about 1C for output (4.9V / 0.1A) It costs about $20 and comes with a battery. The battery isn't very good. It runs down very quickly. But again, it's the charger you want.

My old thread on the charger is Charging 10180 Cells (Lummi Wee)

Thanks for the link. I just placed an order for the Delkin charger. Looks like it will do the trick. Thanks again!

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Best charger for 10180 cells?

You cross-posted this in both the Peak and Batteries forums, in contravention of Rule 9. The threads are merging to avoid further confusion.

Curt R

Enlightened
The 10180 for best reliability should be charged at one-half of rated C or about 45 mA. We have been looking at an IC that has user selectable current outputs that go down to 45 mA. The electronics provides the correct charging profile and has an overcharging limiter. The electronics is the simple part. Designing the mechanical and producing limited quantities in a cost effecent package is the hard part. Most chargers charge to 4.2 volts, however if charged to 4.1 volts the battery life as to number of charge/discharge cycles can be doubled. That is according to one of the battery manufacturers.

Curt

N162E

Enlightened
I just purchase a Peak Eiger with a 10180 body and was having a hard time finding a suitable charger. Apparently, the only charger that is recommended is the Powerstream coin cell charger which is no longer in production. Also, I heard that some are using the Nano AAA but it seems that these are also hard to find these days. Does anyone know of an alternative to these chargers that is still being produced and sold? Thanks in advanced.
I have this one https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14885 and it seems perfect for 10180. I use it for everything from 10180 to 18650. For 10180 no adapters needed about 1 hour to charge from 3.01 volts. Slow with the bigger cells but really convenient to throw in a bag or pocket.

De-Lux

Enlightened
The 10180 for best reliability should be charged at one-half of rated C or about 45 mA. We have been looking at an IC that has user selectable current outputs that go down to 45 mA. The electronics provides the correct charging profile and has an overcharging limiter. The electronics is the simple part. Designing the mechanical and producing limited quantities in a cost effecent package is the hard part. Most chargers charge to 4.2 volts, however if charged to 4.1 volts the battery life as to number of charge/discharge cycles can be doubled. That is according to one of the battery manufacturers.

Curt

Curt,
I just received my Eiger. The stainless steel head looks great with the black aluminum body, Very nice. Hard to believe the incredible price considering the quality of your lights. I have so far been using the AAA body and can't wait to try it with the 10180 and 10280 cells once I get the charger issue resolved. Thanks for all your help and patients answering my questions on the phone. I will definitely be ordering more in the future.

Aloha From Maui.