Best D3S bulb

twin1987

Newly Enlightened
Hey gang. Was thinking of upgrading lights on my 2018 Buick Lacrosse. Has standard D3S HID bulbs. Is there a brighter replacement for this bulb?
Thanks
Ryan

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Osram Night Breaker Laser D3S is a good choice.

It's not necessarily "brighter" (they say "up to 200% brighter" but there is a legal definition for the luminous flux for a D3S and other automotive arc-discharge capsules); it is made with extreme precision to yield higher luminance and better beam focus.

Avoid any offerings such as "cool blue intense" or "cool blue boost" or other gimmicky bulbs.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I second Alaric's recommendation. The Osram NB Laser D3S is readily available and will make a big enough improvement to be worthwhile. It is critical to make sure the headlamps are correctly aimed (really check with the correct equipment, don't just guess/assume).

twin1987

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! I will go that route. Amen on the proper aim as well. I even keep the allen wrench in the glove box of car for if I ever have extra weight in the trunk and need to slightly lower them to not hurt others.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I even keep the allen wrench in the glove box of car for if I ever have extra weight in the trunk and need to slightly lower them to not hurt others.
While it is appreciated you consider that, I must remind you that you should be very careful not to accidentally cheat yourself out of seeing distance by adjusting it too aggressively-- and also that you should note very carefully how much you adjust it so you can set it back. Even with appropriate care, you may find that your headlamp aim will still fall out of spec, so get your aim checked regularly.

You might be able to get a shop to aim them for you and set up index marks and then load the trunk and do another set of index marks-- that will at least get you closer to the right aim loaded/unloaded, but the aiming adjuster may have a small amount of play/slop in it.

twin1987

Newly Enlightened
While it is appreciated you consider that, I must remind you that you should be very careful not to accidentally cheat yourself out of seeing distance by adjusting it too aggressively-- and also that you should note very carefully how much you adjust it so you can set it back. Even with appropriate care, you may find that your headlamp aim will still fall out of spec, so get your aim checked regularly.

You might be able to get a shop to aim them for you and set up index marks and then load the trunk and do another set of index marks-- that will at least get you closer to the right aim loaded/unloaded, but the aiming adjuster may have a small amount of play/slop in it.
Yup! I have marks I tape on garage wall from stock settings that I compare to when I adjust. It is not often I adjust, only when going on vacation and trunk is packed to brim. I have marks on garage floor also where I park car to set aim so it's the same distance from wall (about 15 feet) everytime. When I lower for vacation it's only 1/4 turn down so basically nothing, but I feel better knowing it's just that touch lower so it helps with being in people's eyes.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup! I have marks I tape on garage wall from stock settings that I compare to when I adjust. It is not often I adjust, only when going on vacation and trunk is packed to brim.
By index marks, I mean on the adjustment wheels and the lamp body.

I have marks on garage floor also where I park car to set aim so it's the same distance from wall (about 15 feet) everytime. When I lower for vacation it's only 1/4 turn down so basically nothing, but I feel better knowing it's just that touch lower so it helps with being in people's eyes.
15 feet is 10 feet too close-- remember your trigonemetry! I tiny bit of adjustment noticeable at 15' is a lot bit of adjustment at 150 feet.

Also, it's important that the floor is such that the plane the wheels are on is level and the wall is plumb.

twin1987

Newly Enlightened
By index marks, I mean on the adjustment wheels and the lamp body.

15 feet is 10 feet too close-- remember your trigonemetry! I tiny bit of adjustment noticeable at 15' is a lot bit of adjustment at 150 feet.

Also, it's important that the floor is such that the plane the wheels are on is level and the wall is plumb.
Yes I understand all this 👍
I use 15' because that's all the room I have.

I should explain more. I mark garage wall with tape at cutoff of low beam with original/correct leveling. I Have tape on garage floor marked where my tires are so car is in exact same spot everytime. Maybe twice a year wife and I go on long road trip with lots of weight in trunk. I turn down headlights about 1/4 turn as I can clearly see they are higher with the weight in the trunk. When I get back from vacation I turn them back that same 1/4 turn, then park on my tape with car and check marks on wall. They are always exactly where they should be. When you turn the adjustment 1/4, then back the same amount, they end up where you started haha!

twin1987

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys I have a problem. Went to switch bulbs, got old one out and it has the black plastic tabs that click into housing. We'll new bulb does not have it? How do I transfer them?

Attachments

• 20220122_181926.jpg
    20220122_181926.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 113

twin1987

Newly Enlightened
Problem solved! The clips separated and I was able to transfer them. All good!

Attachments

• 20220123_133628.jpg
    20220123_133628.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 111

Latest posts