Best drop in module for solarforce l2?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, CPF member Vinz is really nice and Oveready is over-the-top Cool, but it seems like you will get a good feel with what you have ordered. Maybe when you are more clear about what you want you could look into these other options. I would say that Nailbender has good prices for the quality you get. And he will talk to you about your needs.

I would think the SolarForce dropins will provide some protection. Can anyone confirm that?

HighZenBurg

Newly Enlightened
Ideally I would love a light with a flood mode and a throw mode. Each with high lumen, medium, and low setting. Also a ultra low 1 lumen, and maybe a strobe. Is that possible?

I agree with you though, I should probably settle down, wait for the one I have coming, and see how they are. I tend to get CRAZY OCD. Normal people just get a flashlight and move on. They don't spend hours reading all about their inner workings etc. but who wants to be normal? Seriously, I have a problem! [emoji317]

I have to go read about Liion batteries and chargers now because the last 15 threads I read on that subject just isn't enough... [emoji6]

Thanks for all the info so far!!!

radiopej

Enlightened
I think I have the bottom 2 drop-ins, but 3 mode for the XP-L and 5 mode for the XM-L. Very similar. I find I prefer the 3 mode one with a reverse clicky switch as it has memory. I just bounce through modes.

They're all decent drop-ins, though I haven't really tortured them. I use 18650 with all of them and it's fine. I think Solarforce have a giant voltage tolerance.

L2 series should fit 18650 well. I have a few of these hosts and there hasn't been a problem. Protected cells disconnect themselves when they trip whatever the set voltage is. Just charge them regularly and you'll be fine. I rotate my lights and so every week or two I check all the batteries with a multimeter.

HighZenBurg

Newly Enlightened
I hope my switches have memory! I'm still not clear on the differences in the switches on lights (reverse clicky etc). Memory is is an important feature in my view. My lights should be here tomorrow, I hope. For the record, I love my Nitcore MH12; my first Liion light.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got some different malkoffs and triples and stuff, but my favorite for the solarforce is the edc+ x60l. No pwm. Lo V cutoff in the hi and med mode. Beam is fantastic, and its not that hard driven. It wont waste the battery for those extra few lumens, and it wont heat up that fast. Perfect.

I too bought the Redilast edc+ three mode XM-L2 U2 drop-in for my 6P and a couple of their 17670s and for $40 with facebook coupon, it wasn't a lot of money to drop.

I don't use the light much, but it's a heck of a lot more flexible than it was as an 80LM LED single mode light.

It's driven at 1.5A, so mild comparatively speaking.

Chris

HighZenBurg

Newly Enlightened
Please HELP the Noob.

OK, I just received my Solarforce lights and this is what I ordered as far as drop in modules:
4 mode XL-L2 U2 cree led 980 lumens
4 mode XP-L V3 cree led 1030 lumen
3 mode XM-L (100>60>10%) with memory IC bulb 820 lumens 3.7V

This is what I got (or what it says on the actual modual) there is no invoice in the box:
LC-XPL Module (four modes, 2,7-9v) - [[2x - I received 2 of these]]
LC-XML T6 (3.7v, three modes)

My question is which am I missing, or which did I receive? Are these what I ordered? Should I bother trying to contact Solarforce and getting this right, or just go with what I have? I was hoping to try out some different modules.

ven

Flashaholic
I would say the xml2 u2 is missing,as this is 4 mode and the xml t6 is three,it should be easy to tell.

HighZenBurg

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, that's what I figured but I wasn't sure.

Does the "V3" indicate version 3? Neither show a "V3" after XP-L on the module itself.

I received the T6 (3 mode) for sure. I wrote that I received the T6 in my previous post but for some reason it doesn't show up on CPF app version on my phone. It does show up when Viewing on my PC. But that's another issue.

What would the difference be between XL-L2 U2, and XP-L2 V3 as far as beam/performance etc? Is it generally better/worse or do they just have different applications?

I have the feeling trying to get it swapped out with Solarforce will prove to be more of a hassle than it's worth, so if it's not that big of a deal maybe I won't bother with that. This is my first time playing with drop ins, I wanted to try some different modules. Any opinions on that?

HighZenBurg

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to reach solarforceflashlight-sales about them getting my order wrong, and have not gotten any response. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing by not getting the xml2 u2? How does it compare to xpl v3?

What can I expect for run times on the L-series? (L2P, L2N, L2M)
Is there any draw on the battery when off?
Using 18650, 3400mAh Orbtronic.

ven

Flashaholic
Stand to be corrected but sure the same output,just a smaller package like an xpg2 size,so benefits would be more along triples or quads where you could fit the xpl led's in easier........Where room is not on your side.

I have the xpl v3 here

Next to vinhs quad xpg2

I went for the simple 3 mode version,dont need more modes or blinkies. The xpl will go into my solarforce p1,the quad in the p1d when i get it:)

Nice cool tint,apparently over 1000lm but no way of measuring.

There are a few different reports on the differences.............again i could be wrong,just going off what i read a while back!

HighZenBurg

Newly Enlightened
How do I get one of Vinh's quad, or any Vinh's?
I tried to contact Solarforce a few times, with no response.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered the Sportac P60 Dual Mode drop-in's?

They are a nice quality and available with a single or triple LED's and also available in a Nichia Triple.

They will work with either 1 x 18650 or 2 x CR123's.

HighZenBurg

Newly Enlightened
Where do I find these? Will someone please post a list of good places to get p60 drop ins or point me to a list? Is there a resource that gives technical specs, beam character ( flood/ throw) as well as protection circuits etc? Thank you.

ven

Flashaholic

HighZenBurg

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had trouble contacting Solarforceflashlight-sales.com? I have tried to contact them multiple times with no response. I ordered three lights and modules and they got one of the drop ins wrong. It's not the end of the world, but I would like to see some response.

ven

Flashaholic
I had to contact them just the other week and got a reply within 24hrs,it was to make sure it was the 3 mode drop in i bought. The acknowledged pretty fast ,then the other day within 30hrs of ordering a p1d,they asked about adress ...........so they are there. Maybe a holiday or something,will pm the email i have.

HighZenBurg

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, I used the email you sent and they got back to me within 24 hours. Maybe they're having issues with the contact section on the website.
All is resolved. They told me they just upgraded my order by sending me the 2 newer V3 modules. Wasn't that nice.
Me likey Solarforce. That vinh quad i looked at is insane, but i'll have to graduate up to that point. For now the lights I have are adequate.
Need to learn how to manage battery charge with the lights I have. :twothumbs

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered the Sportac P60 Dual Mode drop-in's?

They are a nice quality and available with a single or triple LED's and also available in a Nichia Triple.

They will work with either 1 x 18650 or 2 x CR123's.

If the Nichia 219 is your cup of tea, then you'll LOVE the Sportac Triple. Perhaps the best thing about this drop-in is the fact that it actually gives you the tint of the Nichia 219 with XM-L2 brightness. And it does so for a VERY reasonable $35 (or so). That's pretty cheap for the kind of light that you would normally have to spend MUCH more for. Just remember to get the dual mode drop-in and not the single mode drop-in. Not only does the dual mode give you a low mode. It also works better than the single mode drop-in on one cell. The single mode drop-in needs two cells to give you any kind of decent regulation (and I believe, it was really made for two cells).

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
If the Nichia 219 is your cup of tea, then you'll LOVE the Sportac Triple. Perhaps the best thing about this drop-in is the fact that it actually gives you the tint of the Nichia 219 with XM-L2 brightness. And it does so for a VERY reasonable $35 (or so). That's pretty cheap for the kind of light that you would normally have to spend MUCH more for. Just remember to get the dual mode drop-in and not the single mode drop-in. Not only does the dual mode give you a low mode. It also works better than the single mode drop-in on one cell. The single mode drop-in needs two cells to give you any kind of decent regulation (and I believe, it was really made for two cells).

+1 on the 2-mode Sportac Triple Nichia 219:

Left to Right:

1. Thrunite T10 (original twisty version) - cool white
  2. Thrunite T10 2014 version - neutral white
  3. Solarforce L2P with B6 stainless bezel, Sportac 2-mode Nichia 219 drop-in
This has become my primary go-to EDC light, because of the amazing tint and beautiful wide-area coverage.

The price couldn't be more reasonable, for what it is. I also have the 1-mode, installed in a Solarforce L2DE (2-18650)