Best EDC flashlight that you can depend on and why..

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious as to why you would think Fenix sells so many more lights than Surefire? The civilian market is not Surefires bread and butter.
Not true. Just go ask them. They dominated civilian market before. Now they can't compete.

Every Local, State and Federal Police Dept and LE Agency in the US is issued Surefires at some level.
Did you just make this up? This is not true at all. Where do you get this from?

The US military buys Surefire lights for pretty much every rifle in its inventory. This doesn't even include the other world wide agencies that use Surefire.

Simply not true. Where is your source?

Im not knocking Fenix, but they don't come close to the daily professional use that SF does.

Probably the other way around buddy.

Edit: forgot one thing, again the OP asked for EDC, not battlefield.

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would exclude zl. Out of 4 I have used two have failed. Just stopped working properly at some moment. And I remember a number of similar comments from members.

Out of two my fenix lights one has failed.

What have never failed me are McGizmo creations. No issues whatsoever over long time.

I have an HDS which has had no issues over 3 years but this is just one sample.

I have never had issues with Tana's creations, I have had multiple and I think they can be trusted

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best EDC flashlight that you can depend on...

Crazy how times change. There was a time HDS would be first on most people's list including myself. Now they tend to be a backup to a primary light. Guess it show how much quality and dependably others companies have gotten. Good for us.

+1

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have actually had failures of multiple Quarks, a Surefire (due to a tailcap) and a Luna Sol 20. Never had a problem with an Olight or a Fenix or an HDS... if I had to pick one, I would probably pick an HDS. Despite the tailcap problem I had with the Surefire, I have great confidence in them too.

Revcov

Newly Enlightened

I love all the innovation and modes and features of the "cutting edge" lights but for me, my everyday carry lights are a microstream and an older SF G2.

LGT

Enlightened

If and when durability + reliability are the criteria, I choose Peak (for small flashlights) and Malkoff (for medium and large) flashlights.

Why ? Because I have had the least problems with those particular makers, after lots of experience with lots of brands.

Now, do I sometimes "EDC" other brands ? I do, because sometimes differences in other features outweigh the absolute best durability and reliability ... and, for me, I usually have multiple backup sources of lighting readily available.
Same here in regard to peak lights when durability and reliability are the criteria. My first brass eiger , which I bought in 2009 BC, or so, (Before Candlepowerforum entered my realm) Though the knurling has never been overly aggressive on my eigers, this one has worn smooth over the ten years of mostly every day carry. It has a nice wall of light which came in handy in many a dark basement I would enter throughout the work day.

Last edited:

bignc

Enlightened

I have some ZL that work fine and always have. But I've never relied on ONE light of any brand. I may carry a ZL since I like their low low but it will be a "user" while my main light would be something else typically by Malkoff (I carry a firearm and keep one light ready for that type of use always.)

I also have an edc bag with a backup Malkoff and a ZL and spares for all. Another option or 3 are in my vehicles and offices, etc.

For me, best of both worlds, neat multi mode options from the ZL and reliability and user serviceability from Malkoff.

Coppet

Newly Enlightened

As someone has already written here, the best EDC flashlight is the one you always have with you. For me, big flashlights are out of the question right from the start and only small flashlights come into question. In my case I have been wearing a modified Lumintop Tool Copper in my trouser pocket for almost two years now, the tool is so small that it is not noticeable in my trouser pocket. I put it in my trouser pocket in the morning and when I change I put the Lumintop in my other trousers and in the evening it is lying on my bedside table, I always have it with me or within reach.
I use it very, very many times a day and it works flawlessly and without problems with my eneloops, so far it has never let me down. If I know beforehand that I need more light or I'm out in the dark in the evening, then I'll take one of my CRX Novatacs with me and I'm well prepared:)

35403208bp.jpg

35403209yr.jpg

35403210qs.jpg

35403291rt.jpg

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy, Coppet. Is the black between the checkering dirt or did you add it? I have yet to get that look in any of my copper.

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a light as a tool I can depend on, not as a show-and-tell trinket. Having worked with hand tools all my life, I have come to appreciate the value of spending more for something that will last a lifetime and work without fail every time it is needed.

For the reasons above, I detest "programmable" lights that require coaxing to do what I want, and any light that makes me hold my breath on its free-fall way to hitting a concrete floor.

I don't need gee-wiz lumen output, 14 different versions of programmable SOS modes, multiple switches, USB charging ports, or anything with the word "tactical" in the model name (most of which are anything but tactical).

Simple. Dependable. Serviceable. Rugged and long-lasting.

Malkoff.

malkoff-5.jpg

Last week I received my first Malkoff product, a dropin M61 for an old 6P.
Something about that picture and your comments made a lot of sense to me so I just ordered an MDC HA 1CR123.
Simple is good.
Thank you.

Coppet

Newly Enlightened
Howdy, Coppet. Is the black between the checkering dirt or did you add it? I have yet to get that look in any of my copper.
Hello aginthelaw, this is all natural patina on the Lumintop Tool, on the deeper places like in the Knurling, the patina does not rub off and is therefore darker there. However, there might still be some dirt in the patina after two years of use:)

Macka17

Newly Enlightened
My Pocket EDC for several yrs now has been both an Astrolux AO1 Nichia 219B with 10440 cell on keyring.
with a Jetbeam Jet 1-MK Pro IN pocket. These both run on AAA/AA cells if/when needed.
Walkabout in general I Carry either a Astrolux (again) S41s 18650 cell. A Imalent DN35, or Convoy C8+.

ALL cheap apart from $145 Imalent.
All Used daily, in all weathers in Tropics.
NONE. Yet to give a problem

I also use a Olight E3T EOS Copper.and a little Convoy No Name Stainless twisty.

You see all these "named" expensive brands around. Fine.
But I have a coupla SkyRay S-R5's, and a 9 cell coke can.
cost a coupla $$'s each around 10 yrs ago. Always in use wet and dry.
so far. ONE rear sw for $2.30 replaced.(Have a box of them in drawer. Yet to use but the one.)

These well made cheaper? ones do have reliability nowadays.
I've soft epoxy'd a couple and keep permanent on fishing boat and yacht.
They fine and always Salt Water wet.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

you can see on Coppet's CuTool that the new preon captive clip works well..

Massdrop copper Tools w eSwitch are classic lights imo
they lego with the Maratac heads too
SQ4c5R9l.jpg

Last edited: