best food to grow when you have no garden space

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i want to grow as much food in a 5 gallon bucket as i can. so what do i grow i just want to prevent starvation if the food grid goes down

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you have a fence or some kind of place for vines to grow you can grow beans on a vine along with something in the center a tomatoe plant and perhaps some squash running along the ground around the bucket.

I have a neighbor who grows stuff in 2 litre bottles hanging upside down over 5 gallon buckets. You drill two or so holes in the lid to let excess water drain onto the 5 gallon bucket(s).

raggie33

*the raggedier*
that would be cool ill be totaly honest i have no idea where beans come from if i just throw some navy beans in dirt will i get a navy bean plant. also what beans are ussed to make the sprouts in Chinese food?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You can grow potatoes, and with a sectio of wire fence in a bucket grow tomatoes and other climbing food plants.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's your bucket:
https://www.legacyfoodstorage.com/p...utm_medium=search&utm_source=google&utm_term=

If the grid goes down, no fruit or vegetable you can grow in one bucket will keep you going longer than a meal or two. Fruit trees take 3-4 years to grow fruit. Herbs grow quickly. Vegetables grow in a season. If you have to grow your food, you'll have to leave and go somewhere with land and have a cashe of shelf stable seeds you can plant. In the meantime, I suggest filling up a 5 gallon bucket with rice and another with beans to start. Tractor Supply carries food grade 5 gallon buckets cheap ($5) and gamma seal lids ($12) for easy opening. Remember, if the SHTF, you not only have to grow your own food which takes time and land, you have to protect it from other starving people which means setting up a perimeter around your food (requiring more land). Best to start small and at least have shelf stable seeds to take somewhere to grow and a supply of food to get you through until you get a crop going. My family has already started raising chickens. Our neighbors suddenly have chickens, cows, goats, sheep, and horses. Times are changing and everyone is seeing what is going on with food, baby formula, and fuel supplies. Time to take a crash course in learning how to grow and preserve fruit, herbs, and vegetables and how to raise, kill, cook, and preserve animals and their meat. Get books if you don't have them because if things go bad, you shouldn't depend on having electricity or the internet for your survival.

fulee9999

Enlightened
I would also look into hydroponics, requires power yes, but you can grow basically any plant in a basement / hangar area