Best Guitarist Ever?

Frame57

Newly Enlightened
Here's my list of some guitarists that I like but haven't been mentioned.

-Terry Kath (Chicago) Even Jimmy Hendrix was impressed by him.

-James Honeyman-Scott (Pretenders)Just listen to the guitar solo on Tattooed Love Boys

-Bill Frisell, one of the most unusaual and original guitarists performing today

-Gary Ritchrath (REO Speedwagon)In my opinion overlooked and underated.

-Joey Santiago (The Pixies)One of the most influential bands of the 1990's and an underated guitarist.

-Andy Summers (Police) not flash but very very good.

My favorite Rock guitarist however is David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. Probally one of the most soulful guitarists in rock.

Jim Skinner

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulzero said:
Anybody heard of Danny Gatton ?? Yes he's deceased, but I heard a CD of Danny playing "The Simpsons" theme while browsing through a guitar shop one day - brilliant !!

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! I used to work as an engineer's assistant for a company named Sound Enhancements out of Cary, IL when I was younger. We manufacturer the spring reverb units used mostly in Marshall equipment, as well as pretty much any other amp at the time that utilized a spring unit. We also made Morley effect pedals. I used to prototype a lot of items and work on special projects for big names in the music industry. I once did a custom paint job on a switching unit for Steve Vai's bass player, TM Stevens. Had to setup a MIDI pedal for Santana's keyboardist, Chester Thompson, once. It was pretty cool. Phish opened up for them - this was back before all the GD people knew about them. While on stage working on the pedal, Phish was doing their soundcheck. Got to meet all the guys from both bands - all very nice people. The stories go on for ever.... I've still got a stack of pedals at home I need to get rid of on eBay one of these days.

Which brings forth another guitarist - Trey Anastasio - Check out the project he did with Les Claypool and Stewart Copeland called Oysterhead - some interesting stuff.

Anyway - back to Danny - While there (Sounds Enhancements), we had many opportunities to meet people here and there. I attended a NAMM show in Nashville one year and was blessed with the opportunity to see Danny Gatton in a VERY small outdoor (patio sized) venue. Outstanding show. It was a Fender sponsored show - he was using the wanna-be rebirth Fender Twin they were pushing at the time.

Since everyone is mentioning Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, you have to give mention to a guy named Eric Johnson - same idea - outstanding guitar player with a Texas sound. I still remember when he made the cover of Guitar Player magazine - I believe that issue included a 45 with some of his songs - if that tells you how long ago it was...

Music goes back a ways in the family (I've been told our roots can be traced to Beethoven or Mozart...one of those guys - who knows...) My father brags of being the first white electric bass player in the city of New Orleans, where he grew up. He's back into music now after spending 30+ years flying for Delta. He's part of that gigantic music scene in New Mexico.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif a little older and back on the upright - he plays with a different type of group now - like the "Vintage People."

ADDED - What about those guys....what are their names....oh ya - David St. Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel. You know,I watched This is Spinal Tap the other day and couldn't help notice something. The "Black Album" - you know - "None more black." Also, the mention of wanting to do a project with the London Philharmonic. Do you see a little foreshadowing here in relation to the downward spiral that Metallica took into mainstream poo-poo? Interesting.....

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashlightlens.com said:
Since everyone is mentioning Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, you have to give mention to a guy named Eric Johnson - same idea - outstanding guitar player with a Texas sound. I still remember when he made the cover of Guitar Player magazine - I believe that issue included a 45 with some of his songs - if that tells you how long ago it was...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second the accolades for Eric Johnson. I saw the 1st year for the G3 tour a few years back, it was Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Eric Johnson in one concert. They each played a 45 minute set and then came back out and jammed together for another half hour or so. One of the best concerts I've ever been too.

Another guiter great I had the chance to see in concert 12 years ago was Stanley Jordan. Very unique style of playing, especially when he was playing two guitars at one time.

[ QUOTE ]
MikeF said:
Anyone ever seen Phil Keagy play? He is amazing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, I've seen Phil Keaggy in concert six or seven times. I've seen him solo and with his band, but the best concert I ever saw with him was a few years ago at a small club in Dayton where he performed with his original group "Glass Harp" from the early 70's I was only a few feet away from the stage, and I'm still kicking myself to this day for not recording the concert with my minidisc recorder.

-Keith

Zackerty

Enlightened
Neon,
Was that concert ever availiable on CD?.................. Where you quoted...
" I saw the 1st year for the G3 tour a few years back, it was Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Eric Johnson in one concert. They each played a 45 minute set and then came back out and jammed together for another half hour or so. One of the best concerts I've ever been too. "

If so, I have never heard it. AND now I want to...

Stu

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
Blues Saraceno

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes.... Blues Saraceno ... The once solo artist turned Poison band member turned studio musician. I had the pleasure of sitting about 5 feet from about a 20 minute demo he did at a NAMM show in Anaheim one year - right after his solo career was peaking. Definitely worth mentioning here.

I'm surprised nobody's thrown in Ted Nugent or Vinnie Vincent yet - not necessarily the best guitar players in the world, but definitely interesting ones.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of Poison... What's Ritchie Kotzen doing these days. He was/is an awesome guitarist who sometimes comes across bad. ego etc. but his chops are tops!

And really Marc Bonilla is the greatest I've heard in a looooong time. EE Ticket is the album. If anyone knows where this guy is these days PLEASE let me know. I can't find him anywhere. (Missed him last time he came thru with ELP in Santa Cruz CA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
I'm also very sad that Dimebag is gone. He wasn't he greatest guitar player, but he was a great. Metal won't be the same without him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CanadianGuy

Newly Enlightened
I don't post much here, but I LOOOVE music!

I was hoping to see Eric Johnson mentioned. I found out about him when I bought the G3 Live CD a few years back. Wowww! I bought a few of his CDs after, and they're good too but he's amazing live.

Oh, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned TOM SCHOLZ (I don't think??). I heard him on a show called Rockline, in the early 90s when I was young. Love the guy's music (Boston, if you don't know who I'm talking about). I've heard he's basically Boston, because the other guys don't stick around because they can't get along with him or something. I mean, 7 years between albums? Granted, they are usually amazing albums when they do come out. I appreciate the fact that he says the music is all real, and not edited and stuff.

Anyways, I agree with the others... David Gilmour, EVH, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan (RIP), etc.

P.S. I'm proud to say that many a good band has come from Canada. Here's a few I old groups I love: Honeymoon Suite, Streetheart, Prism, and...darn I can't think of them...

Ah well, that's my 2 cents...

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashlightlens.com said:
[ QUOTE ]
Zackerty said:
Neon,
Was that concert ever availiable on CD?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check amazon.com for "G3: Live in Concert" - $10.99 for the CD

See if this link works.

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to the G3 CD, the concert is also available on DVD.

-Keith

rikvee

Enlightened
here's a few more...

Django Reinhardt-gypsy two-fingered hot jazz genius
Chuck Berry-showed 'em all how to rock
Paul McCartney-'Blackbird' AND 'Helter Skelter'
Leo Kottke-unique acoustic fingerstyle
Paul Kossof-the best vibrato and "All Right Now"
Pete Townsend of you know Who
Mick Ralphs-Bad Company
Jan Akkerman-Focus (remember 'Hocus Pocus'?)
Brian May -Queen Maestro
Brian Robertson- Thin Lizzy's "Live and Dangerous"
Malcolm Young- the rock of AC/DC

None of the above could take any of the above's place,
so in a way, they are ALL the best ever....