Best Guitarist Ever?

Mjolnir

I prefer Blind Willie Mctell and Blind Blake to Robert Johnson interms of guitar playing; I find that Robert Johnson's playing is a little too sparse for my liking and less complex than the more "ragtime" ringer picking blues guitarists.

USACelt

I also like Dwayne Allman..
bit of trivia..he did most of the playing on Layla, which everyone thinks is mostly Clapton. He was on lone from his record lable to help with Clapton's album. Not that im putting Clapton down, just trivia.
Another name..John 5 from Marilyn Manson's band is very good.

greenpondmike

What about Don Felder of the Eagles? He used to do some good guitar weaving with Joe Walsh- one of the best guitarists of all time.

Also don't forget:
George Thorogood
Randle Chowning- Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Duane Allman
Jeff Carlisi- .38 Special
Session musician Waddy Wachtel
Paul Kossoff of Free
Rickey Medlocke- Blackfoot and Lynyrd Skynyrd
Randy Bachman of The Guess Who and Bachman/Turner Overdrive
Johnny Winter
Barry Goudreau of Boston

greenpondmike

I think Derek had already been mentioned earlier, but it never hurts to mention him again. I didn't even consider Roy Clark, but you're right bykfixer.

greenpondmike

Any list that doesn't include Stevie Ray Vaughn is incomplete. Had the pleasure of seeing him live twice in my youth. Incomprable.
I read all 9 pages and I think he's been mentioned a few times. He was good and I was wanting to see him when he came to the oak mountain amphitheater, but for some reason I didn't go. He died leaving the amphitheater on the helicopter Eric Clapton was supposed to be on.

greatscoot

CPF Supporter
Any list that doesn't include Stevie Ray Vaughn is incomplete. Had the pleasure of seeing him live twice in my youth. Incomprable.
I saw his last show and you can find the encore on youtube. Sweet Home
Chicago with Clapton, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Vaughan, Robert Cray and clapton’s other guitarist.

greenpondmike

I saw his last show and you can find the encore on youtube. Sweet Home
Chicago with Clapton, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Vaughan, Robert Cray and clapton’s other guitarist.
Sounds like a good mix of artists.
I like the song "smoking gun" by Robert Cray. He deserves a mention because he could get down on a guitar.

greatscoot

CPF Supporter
Sounds like a good mix of artists.
I like the song "smoking gun" by Robert Cray. He deserves a mention because he could get down on a guitar.
Clapton is usually pretty deadpan when he plays and he was grinning ear to ear on that set. Five world class guitarists trading licks with each other and just having a blast, no ego whatsoever, it was amazing.

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
In terms of most people thinking axe guy or pop star John Mayer is thought of as just another pop star, yet if you've ever seen him do his thing at the CrossRoads fesival you understand why Eric picked him along with Robert Cray, Joe Walsh and others.

I always tried to use my thumb like Mark Knopfler when I made a noise with a guitar but never could.

One who was once pretty famous, Traci Chapman is really good at playing bass, rhythm and lead all at the same time on a guitar while playing a harmonica.

Another overlooked axe picker is ole Elvis Costello. He's mostly thought of as a skinny tie wearing goofball singing about how the dame dumped him with screaming keyboards in the background. That was the skinny, angry Elvis. The purple suit wearing fat Elvis is all about some guitar music with a great band around him when he's not in his artsy-meloncholy mode.

I had the distinct pleasure of watching the Followill brothers Matthew and Caleb at the small venue in North Carolina just days before they resleased the Kings of Leon breakout album "only the night". The way they bounced off each other in "slow night, so long" was what stood out for me. I told my friends "some day Dave Matthews is going to open for those guys"……eh, not so much but they do make a dynamic duo if you can get past Caleb's voice.

Speaking of voices, the duets by the Bodeans Sam Llanas and Kurt Nuemann along with some dual fire guitar licks was fun to behold in the 1980's.

I always admired anyone who could play a 12 string accoustic with all 5 fingers, Latin jazz style.

Best guitar player ever? Les Paul?

desert.snake

CPF Supporter
Does it mean from a technical point of view of owning a guitar, or even from the point of view of their creative success?

I like these - Tony Iommi, Lemmy, Andy LaRocque, Michael Schenker

greenpondmike

I know he was a country artist, but Jerry Reed was very good on guitar and banjo. It was said that he had mastered the guitar- like there was nothing left to learn concerning it. If he was alive now I just don't think if he had a duel with Joe Walsh that he would win- especially if you catch Joe on a good night.

Rip Jerry Reed