Best headlamp for under $50?

kenwahoo

What's wrong with one of those Chinese ones with a supposedly Cree bulb for less than $10? Runs on 3 AAA and lasts ok. Advertises as 5W but I think it's actually only 3w but still bright enough for sport. If it goes you won't worry so much. I've got a Petzl Zoom which has outlasted them but new tech has overtaken so that it's now retired. Cant be bothered to update bulb as still not as bright as current ones.

ken

Monocrom

Supporter
What's wrong with one of those Chinese ones with a supposedly Cree bulb for less than $10? . . .

If you just want a headlamp for emergency use during a blackout, their lack of build quality is probably okay. (Unless the light craps out on you while walking down the stairs of your home with all the lights still out.)

Many folks looking for a headlamp enjoy going caving. For that activity, quality is an absolute MUST. Bright & Cheap just isn't going to cut it.

Also, another vote for the PT EOS. Worth every penny.

2vtx

The EOS gets my vote also. It was my first headlamp purchase and I'm very satisfied. The customer service at Princeton Tec is amazing. My first experience with them was when I broke one of the tabs on the plastic clip. I sent an email asking where I could purchase the part, they sent it to me free of charge, no questions asked. Some time later the waterproof switch covering came off, one email later I received a brand new light free of charge.

Steve

chadakin

The EOS gets my vote also. It was my first headlamp purchase and I'm very satisfied. The customer service at Princeton Tec is amazing. My first experience with them was when I broke one of the tabs on the plastic clip. I sent an email asking where I could purchase the part, they sent it to me free of charge, no questions asked. Some time later the waterproof switch covering came off, one email later I received a brand new light free of charge.

Steve

This info. regarding Princeton Tec customer service is good to know given that I just purchased an EOS yesterday. Again, thanks to everyone for the replies. Your help is certainly appreciated. Now if I could only get some replies to my thread on chargers in the Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included forumhttp://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9 ... :anyone:

Chad

jcalvert

Hi Chad,

Believe it or not, after many, many months of researching flashlights, camp lanterns and headlamps, this is my inaugaral post on CPF. So here we go!

I must agree with the majority that the PT EOS is great and one of my favorites, in fact PT's products in general are my go-to brand for performance and value. I recognize that there are a lot of great product brands out there, but PT is where I stumbled and have been brand loyal ever since. However, ever since the PT Remix came out last year, my 50 lumen EOS's have been relegated to sitting in our vehicle's glove boxes in case of emergencies because they can use Li Ion batteries which remain relatively fresh for a long time in dormant storage. But the Remix has been my exclusive headlamp since I first picked one up at a REI in Michigan. I don't think I have ever paid more than $25 on sale.

And now, earlier in 2010, PT came out with the 70 lumen Remix Pro (ratail $60) which uses a single primary CR123, is regulated and starts out on low mode instead of high like all the other PT models I have (EOS, Fuel, Scout). Now that I have purchased some tactical flashlights (with the education I have aquired on CPF) that require CR123's or 18650's and the fact that I want to limit the types of batteries I purchase and store, the Remix Pro has become my favorite. And I have yet to pay more than $45 w/ shipping.

When the cold weather hits in Michigan, between fall/winter camping and taking my evening walks in the dark and cold, I'm counting on the Pro to perform as the Remix and EOS have.

By the way, in addition to all the uses I have found that are helped with handsfree lighting, as a night owl, I use my headlamps every night to raid the fridge, read a book, etc. so as not to disturb the rest of my household.

I sincerely hope my first post becomes a help to you!
wink2.gif

All the best,
John C

brucered

so my search for the best >$50 headlamp for my wife for camping seems to point towards the Princeton Tec EOS.

i'm in canada, and MEC has both the 50 lumen tec and the 50 lumen remix (not sure if in store will have the 70lumen stick over it), but for the price, if they are both 50 lumen, which model would be better.

Princeton Tec EOS $37.50
or
Princeton Tec Remix $43.50

as for me, i have a petzl that works just fine, but i do like the look and specs on that new fenix HP20. i'd have that on my head, and my yellow TK20 in my hand.

Imon

I love the PT EOS too but I hate carrying around AAAs.

Because all of the flashlights I carry when I go outdoors are 123s I'll usually take my Streamlight Argo HP. I think it's a nice balance between throw and flood and the UI is very straightforward.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

jcalvert

so my search for the best >$50 headlamp for my wife for camping seems to point towards the Princeton Tec EOS.

i'm in canada, and MEC has both the 50 lumen tec and the 50 lumen remix (not sure if in store will have the 70lumen stick over it), but for the price, if they are both 50 lumen, which model would be better.

Princeton Tec EOS $37.50
or
Princeton Tec Remix $43.50

as for me, i have a petzl that works just fine, but i do like the look and specs on that new fenix HP20. i'd have that on my head, and my yellow TK20 in my hand.

brucered,

I have the EOS (50 lumen model), which I really like in the winter because you can use Li ion batteries which work better in cold weather and store longer than standard batteries. Energizer has AAA Li ion batteries readily available, at least in the U.S. But they are costly, relatively speaking.

I also have the Remix (AAA) in both the 50 & 70 lumen models and I like them better than the EOS because they are smaller, lighter, have both a single, distance throwing Maxbright LED and a set of three smaller Ultrabright LEDs that create more of a close range flood beam that I personally use for reading in low mode. Both LEDs have high and low mode settings, but no emergency strobes (if that matters to you).

Finally, I have my new favorite, the newer Remix Pro (70 lumen) model that uses a single CR123 Li ion battery which is even lighter yet than three AAA Li ions and again does better in cold weather, and which I assume might be readily available in Canada (Duracell, Energizer, etc.).

I bought mine online for $44.99 + $4.90 shipping at BrightGuy.com. http://www.brightguy.com/products/Princeton_Tec_Remix_PRO_LED_Headlamp

As a Michigander, I'm in Canada regularly to visit family, not that I've gone out to buy batteries. However, if you go with the single CR123 route, I would definately buy online from companies like Lighthound.com or Battery Junction.com. They're a lot cheaper that way, even with shipping, at least within the U.S. Canada may have it's own discount battery/electronics supplier/online-retailer from which to order. Doesn't Canada Tire carry everything including the kitchen sink?

Getting back to the Remix Pro, unlike the standard Remix or the EOS, the Pro's two LED lighting group's start out on low mode. That way you don't have to cycle through the high modes first to get to the low. This is very important for tactical/military purposes, but for me, I like it so that I don't wake up my wife when I read in bed.

So, armed with this information and depending on how much BrightGuy.com charges to ship wherever you are in Canada, my extensive price searches indicate that BG has the lowest everday prices on the PT Remix Pro. And since BG is based in Ohio, maybe the shipping won't be too bad

I hope this helps!

All the best,
John

jcalvert

I love the PT EOS too but I hate carrying around AAAs.

Because all of the flashlights I carry when I go outdoors are 123s I'll usually take my Streamlight Argo HP. I think it's a nice balance between throw and flood and the UI is very straightforward.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

FYI, (posted earlier)

>>>And now, earlier in 2010, PT came out with the 70 lumen Remix Pro (ratail $60) which uses a single primary CR123, is regulated and starts out on low mode instead of high like all the other PT models I have (EOS, Fuel, Scout). Now that I have purchased some tactical flashlights (with the education I have aquired on CPF) that require CR123's or 18650's and the fact that I want to limit the types of batteries I purchase and store, the Remix Pro has become my favorite. And I have yet to pay more than $45 w/ shipping.

When the cold weather hits in Michigan, between fall/winter camping and taking my evening walks in the dark and cold, I'm counting on the Pro to perform as the Remix and EOS have.

By the way, in addition to all the uses I have found that are helped with handsfree lighting, as a night owl, I use my headlamps every night to raid the fridge, read a book, etc. so as not to disturb the rest of my household.<<<

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Princeton_Tec_Remix_PRO_LED_Headlamp

All the best,
John

MIKENC

I'll throw in a vote for the Argo HP. It is a good value at $25-$30, that is simple,dependable,bright,well regulated,and only weighs 4 oz. w/batteries. Although I do like my Zebralight H31w better(great tint), but it is more than $50

tritan

what about the Fenix HL20? I have seen them online for $40

I was also looking for a light in the range for price. Looking for lightweight headlamp for backpacking. I have heard there are issues with the Petzl E-lite so I was looking at the tikka plus and XP models along with the PT Byte. Any ideas on these compared to the EOS everybody is recommending? This Fenix looks great does the head swival?

tritan

Anyone know why the Princeton Tec EOS is cheaper in black (@ $35 shipped) than at least some of the other colors including orange and blue (@ $45 shipped)? I am leaning towards the Princeton Tec EOS, but I am still happy to have any other recommendations and appreciate those I have already received.

Thanks,
Chad

Found the black one on Amazon for 29.95. strange deal with the color price differences.

tritan

Hi Chad,

Believe it or not, after many, many months of researching flashlights, camp lanterns and headlamps, this is my inaugaral post on CPF. So here we go!

I must agree with the majority that the PT EOS is great and one of my favorites, in fact PT's products in general are my go-to brand for performance and value. I recognize that there are a lot of great product brands out there, but PT is where I stumbled and have been brand loyal ever since. However, ever since the PT Remix came out last year, my 50 lumen EOS's have been relegated to sitting in our vehicle's glove boxes in case of emergencies because they can use Li Ion batteries which remain relatively fresh for a long time in dormant storage. But the Remix has been my exclusive headlamp since I first picked one up at a REI in Michigan. I don't think I have ever paid more than $25 on sale.

And now, earlier in 2010, PT came out with the 70 lumen Remix Pro (ratail $60) which uses a single primary CR123, is regulated and starts out on low mode instead of high like all the other PT models I have (EOS, Fuel, Scout). Now that I have purchased some tactical flashlights (with the education I have aquired on CPF) that require CR123's or 18650's and the fact that I want to limit the types of batteries I purchase and store, the Remix Pro has become my favorite. And I have yet to pay more than $45 w/ shipping.

By the way, in addition to all the uses I have found that are helped with handsfree lighting, as a night owl, I use my headlamps every night to raid the fridge, read a book, etc. so as not to disturb the rest of my household.

I sincerely hope my first post becomes a help to you!
wink2.gif

All the best,
John C

You look like you have tryed all the PT lights . How about the Byte? I am looking for a really lightweight headlamp for the price and 30Lum it looks like a good deal. I am using a micro squeeze light now for backpacking and anything brighter then that will do?

jcalvert

You look like you have tryed all the PT lights . How about the Byte? I am looking for a really lightweight headlamp for the price and 30Lum it looks like a good deal. I am using a micro squeeze light now for backpacking and anything brighter then that will do?

tri,

The fact that it's after 1:30a.m. and I'm at the computer (serial insomniac) is at least some testimony to the Remix Pro. I use this lamp for everthing where I need to be handsfree. But I haven't tried the Byte and I doubt I will, with the versatility of the RP.

Between the fact it's super light weight (only 2 grams more than the Byte) due to it using a single CR123, it's regulated, and that it's very, very versatile with 2 throw modes and 2 flood modes, this model is what I would recommend for your needs. Here's the PT Remix Pro link: http://www.princetontec.com/index.php?q=remix-pro.

The website doesn't provide the lumen output for any other than the MaxBright high mode which is the advertised 70 lumens, which BTW is more than enough for my nights walks/hikes. In fact I usually use the Maxbright low mode for that purpose. I always carry a flashlight if I need more throw. As for a 30 lumen level, I'd guesstimate that the 3 LED Ultrabright cluster on high puts out somewhere in that vicinity.

Additionally, if you like the single red led on the Byte, you can get the Remix Pro w/ red or green LEDs in the Ultrabright clusters. I only use the all white.

Lastly, the feature I really appreciate over any other headlamp I've ever used is that the switch is both very tactile and easy to push, even with winter gloves on. This light is just so awesome for my purposes.

If you decide to give it a try, the best price I've found is from BrightGuy.com at $45 + shipping, which came to $49.90 (USPS Priority Mail in two days).

I hope I've helped! :thumbsup:

John

tritan

I bought the byte today had to get some other batteries for my pocket lights 2016 coin batteries. 31.00 bucks with 16 2016 batteries and a headlamp . We will see if PT quality is alll its cracked up to be. I can't find a review on the byte any where but for 17 bucks its worth a try.

jcalvert

I bought the byte today had to get some other batteries for my pocket lights 2016 coin batteries. 31.00 bucks with 16 2016 batteries and a headlamp . We will see if PT quality is alll its cracked up to be. I can't find a review on the byte any where but for 17 bucks its worth a try.

Good attitude tri!:twothumbs

One of first PTs I purchased was the Scout that uses coin cells also, and it's a feather. The output is ideal for reading in bed or tent w/o disturbing my wife. The cost and runtime of coin cells eventually made me want more, so then I bought the Fuel, then EOS, then Remix and now Remix Pro. Each new product has been an evolutionary advance.

FYI to potential PT buyers: I don't see that the Byte will be anything more to loyal PT customers than having been designed for filling a small market niche. Since weight and size are strong considerations for backpackers, the Remix Pro at 2 grams more, gives you so much more IMO, but you pay for it as well.

tri, if my experience w/ PT counts for anything, the quality has been very good, but not perfect. One complaint I have is that the couple of times I had to send a headlamp in for warranty work, although it gets done eventually, it can take weeks to receive a replacement after they receive it. Of course I have plenty of PT headlamps, so I really don't miss it.

BTW, I for one would like to get your impression of the Byte after a trial period. Thanks!

John