Best headlamp for under $50?

wild68fury

I would recommend the Zebralight H51. I really like the different outputs and it had a glass lens for more OTF lumens.

H51 Light Output
High: H1 200 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 140 Lm (2 hrs)
Medium: M1 30 Lm (12 hrs) or M2 8 Lm (39 hrs)
Low: L1 2.5 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.2 Lm (16 days)
Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries. For me, I get more runtime with AA lithium batteries and I never have trouble in the cold weather.

EOS Output
High: 1 hour 70 lumens OTF ?
Medium: 11 hours ? lumens
Low: 50 hours ? lumens
After that, it goes unregulated. Please see manual for details.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ptec-user-manuals/4645265679/sizes/l/in/set-72157623182689793/

After owning a zebralight, I gave all my other headlights away.

jcalvert

I would recommend the Zebralight H51. I really like the different outputs and it had a glass lens for more OTF lumens.

H51 Light Output
High: H1 200 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 140 Lm (2 hrs)
Medium: M1 30 Lm (12 hrs) or M2 8 Lm (39 hrs)
Low: L1 2.5 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.2 Lm (16 days)
Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries. For me, I get more runtime with AA lithium batteries and I never have trouble in the cold weather.

EOS Output
High: 1 hour 70 lumens OTF ?
Medium: 11 hours ? lumens
Low: 50 hours ? lumens
After that, it goes unregulated. Please see manual for details.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ptec-user-manuals/4645265679/sizes/l/in/set-72157623182689793/

After owning a zebralight, I gave all my other headlights away.

Wild,

In spite of my fondness of my PT Remix Pro, I have been looking at the ZL H31 for those times when I hike/snoeshoe at night in the deep woods of Michigan during winter where 70 lumens works, but I would like more. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that again one day when my hip heels. In the meantime, I have the following observations then questions:

Unlike most traditional headlamps that pivot on a hinge mechanism, it looks like these ZL headlamps simply rotate the whole body w/in the headband's light holder. Is this right? Or does the holder w/ light in it, pivot like traditional methods?

Do these holders eventually lose their hold, thus allowing the light to slip from the position you intended as you move along (especially when the holder's material contracts in the cold weather)?

Also, one feature of my PT Remix Pro that I really like, is how tactile and easy it is to press the switch. Because I would be wearing winter gloves (or at least glove liners), how tactile and easy or difficult are ZL switches to press? Thanks!

John

flatline

Wild,

In spite of my fondness of my PT Remix Pro, I have been looking at the ZL H31 for those times when I hike/snoeshoe at night in the deep woods of Michigan during winter where 70 lumens works, but I would like more. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that again one day when my hip heels. In the meantime, I have the following observations then questions:

Unlike most traditional headlamps that pivot on a hinge mechanism, it looks like these ZL headlamps simply rotate the whole body w/in the headband's light holder. Is this right? Or does the holder w/ light in it, pivot like traditional methods?

Do these holders eventually lose their hold, thus allowing the light to slip from the position you intended as you move along (especially when the holder's material contracts in the cold weather)?

Also, one feature of my PT Remix Pro that I really like, is how tactile and easy it is to press the switch. Because I would be wearing winter gloves (or at least glove liners), how tactile and easy or difficult are ZL switches to press? Thanks!

John

My H501 stays where I've aimed it without any difficulty. It's a pretty snug fit in the headband. The only complaint I've heard is that the H60 bounces some if you're jogging. Don't know if that also applies to the smaller Zebralight headlamps.

I've had no trouble with the switch when wearing gloves, but YMMV.

--flatline

wild68fury

The light rotates in the holder. I think the holder is made out of silicone. It moves around pritty easy when I am not wearing it but holds it firm when I am wearing it. I do not run with it but I heard some complain about it turning so I jumpped up and down and it did not move for me. The switch is electronic, not a clicky, so it is very easy to use. You can to loosen the tail cap if you pack it in a bag to prevent it from turning on.

jcalvert

The light rotates in the holder. I think the holder is made out of silicone. It moves around pritty easy when I am not wearing it but holds it firm when I am wearing it. I do not run with it but I heard some complain about it turning so I jumpped up and down and it did not move for me. The switch is electronic, not a clicky, so it is very easy to use. You can to loosen the tail cap if you pack it in a bag to prevent it from turning on.

Wild,

Thank you for going to the extent of jumping around with it on and the response in general. That was the info I needed.

Although I would like to see ZL make the headlamp holder with a traditional headlamp pivoting design like Princeton Tec's products and a clamping mechanism for the light to more easily install/remove from the holder while also stabilizing it from rough movement, I think I'll give it a try anyway!

John