Best high current Nimh AA's for 8-2D found?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best high current Nimh AA\'s for 8-2D found?

I just got a complete mag85 and love it when loaded with alkline AA's.
But most anyone else who has used nimhs probably knows it's brighter with the right battery setup.

Most of my nimh AA's don't seem to want to fit in there.
Lenmar2000, Nexcell 1800's, www.spiketronix.com 1900's.

Ideas?

Edit!:

Look what I found. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2 4 packs of humble Rayovac 1800's at The Home depot for under 20 after taxes.
These appear to be the winning ticket for an unbored 2D Maglite with 8 AA's.
I'm getting 3 amps out of these, and they are not fuly charged yet.
The WA 1185 can do more, but for work, this is the 2D sleeper I was looking for.
I just got the neighbor's attention with this outside a few minutes ago by accident /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best high current Nimh AA\'s for 8-2D?

Alkalines, you must be kidding! Please measure how much current it pulls. Runtime cannot be very long.

Modamag may be going to create some bored out mag bodies so that you can use any type of cell. Keep an eye on Groupbuys in the future.

The CBP1650 sold at www.cheapbatterypacks.com is claimed to be one of the best cells (or maybe the best), it will handle up to 15 A. But it is fat so it wont fit in a non-bored body, at least that is what Ginseng wrote. The alternative is to use Fivemega's 9AA-3D adapter instead.
I will send some of these cells to Silverfox for testing.

Also check out Modamag's 8AA-2D battery compatibility matrix:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/printthread.php?Board=groupbuy&main=736404&type=post

Sigbjoern

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I measured 2.55 amps and 11.2 volts with the alkalines running this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif
The even bigger surprise is that these are some of those $7 for 24 pack Everactive Walmart branded AA's doing this.

Thanks for the links. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not as bad as I thought, but I don't think it will hold that current for long. The nominal current for the 1185 in that setup is 3.15 A, so you can just imagine how much brighter it can be. Btw, I only got 2.77 A using rested Energizer 2100. But this was totally new batteries and on the first cycle, so they may improve. It will be interesting to see how much better and brighter the CBP1650 will be.

Sigbjoern

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

2 3toD's with six nimhs = 2.5 amps and still a nice white light output.
Wierd. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

juancho

Enlightened

Ginseng don't recommend using CBP 1600 in 3 to D's in a 3 D (9 batteries) because of the possibility of an intaflash.
Consequently if we get a modamag 8 2 D and have him bore out one 2 D flashlight!!! we can put 8 batteries CBP 1600 with an 1185 and get the same amount of lumens or more in an smaller body!!!
Modamag adaptor have even less internal resistance than three 3 to D's.
I am into something here???
Juan C.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
juancho said:
Ginseng don't recommend using CBP 1600 in 3 to D's in a 3 D (9 batteries) because of the possibility of an intaflash.
Consequently if we get a modamag 8 2 D and have him bore out one 2 D flashlight!!! we can put 8 batteries CBP 1600 with an 1185 and get the same amount of lumens or more in an smaller body!!!
Modamag adaptor have even less internal resistance than three 3 to D's.
I am into something here???
Juan C.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I saw him write that if you let them rest for a while, then they would work fine and not instantflash it, but you always have the risk when overdriving.

Sigbjoern

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
Anyone try some of those 15 min charge NiMH in there?

[/ QUOTE ]

In another thread litho123 wrote that the Mag85 was much brighter when using these cells compared to the Energizer 2100. Not strange when the Energizers was just capable of delivering 2.77 A and the bulb is rated at 3.36 A. It appears internal resistance in the batteries have everything to say here, I looked at the datashet for the Energizers and they can have up to 40 mOhm internal resitance and that will result in a voltage drop of 1.2 V.

Sigbjoern

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, 8 CBP 1600s ought to be a safe way to drive a WA1185?
Can they fit in an 8aa-2d adaptor?
If all above is true, I'm getting them.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
3rd_Shift_Lights said:
2 3toD's with six nimhs = 2.5 amps and still a nice white light output.
Wierd. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it is good at being underdriven. It should deliver 300 lumens with this setup. I guess this is still a big step up compared to the Lux III mods you are used to. Btw, I just tried this to see how it looked and I also got 2.5 A and white nice output, but noticable dimmer than my 1274. But then I finally tried out my 18 AA adapter from Fivemega, that is 2 stacks of 9AA running in parallel, now my Energizers was finally able to deliver the needed current, and I measured it to the exact rated value of 3.3 A, and boy was this a huge difference. I cannot belive how it lights up buildings at several hundreds yards (I also have the FM 3" head). You really need high current cells, or to run this parallel setup to take full advantage of the 1185 bulb!

Sigbjoern

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
3rd_Shift_Lights said:
So, 8 CBP 1600s ought to be a safe way to drive a WA1185?
Can they fit in an 8aa-2d adaptor?
If all above is true, I'm getting them.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is safe to run the 1185 on 8 of those cells, but as mentioned earlier, I don't think you will get them into the Mag body unless it is bored out.

Sigbjoern

juancho

Enlightened

Lurveleven, tell me some more about the 18 batteries set-up,
what Fivemega body I need for this? how long it is? you have any pictures? do you use the bi-pin socket or potted bulbs? how you protect the bi-pin plastic adaptor from melting?
I am happy with my '85, but I want to be happier!!!
Juan C.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Juancho, you will need the FM 6AA body with the 120mm extension. You will find the information you need about it here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=groupbuy&Number=787888&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

With the extension the body is the exact same length as a Mag 3D.

Currently I use potted bulbs.

I did some more testing, and it appears that the Energizers wasn't that horrible after all. When just running one of the stacks in the 18 AA adapters, I got a reading of 3.19 A but it was dropping fast (when running both stacks the current was much more stable, as expected). My previous testing when I got 2.77 A was with the EL 3AA adapters. It appears the internal resistance in those adapters is so much higher that it causes this.
Using the 18 AA adapter you get good runtime, but the light will be big and heave, especially with the FM 3" head (it weighs 1.5 kg/3.3 lbs).

Sigbjoern

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, news really travel fast in CPF.

Steven, definitely agree with many previous post about CBP1650 they will definitely give you ALL the current you want plus some. They however wont fit in ANY Mag body.

I'll try to provide bored service for $10-$20. Still working on the quote.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whew. Breathing a sigh of relief.

Upside: I was surprised to see the Sanyo 2100 do so poorly contrary to my experience. Glad they are not deficient as previously reported.

Downside: I'm surprised to see the 3-D test so poorly.

I tested the EL V2 3-D when they were in prototype and they did very well. Resistance was as low as 30 milliohm. Addressing two potential problems might lead to the restoration of performance.

a) Rub all contact surfaces with some 1500-2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper stuck to the end of a pencil. Do not use a pencil eraser as the rubber contains all sorts of binders in addition to the gentle abrasives you're trying to access.

b) Swab all contacts with a cotton swab dipped in 90% isopropyl alcohol. I have found that these surfaces often come with processing oils and some degreasing is beneficial.

Wilkey

larryk

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
Anyone try some of those 15 min charge NiMH in there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Newbie, the Rayovac 15 minute batteries are the brightest of many NimH batteries in my Mag85. I am using Fivemega's 9 cell holder with the charging plug. The Rayovac's do not seem to work charging all 9 cells in the holder using a SuperNova 250 charger. must be something with the batteries protection circuit ? Larry.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best high current Nimh AA\'s that fit 8AA-2D?

I guess what I'm looking for are some nimh AA's that can cough up enough current and still fit in a 2D maglite in an 8AA-2D.
It's looking like the Rayovac 1800's are one way to go at present.
These were apparantly made for the Rayovac 1 hour charger, and may come close to handling high discharge as gracefully?

The batteries have to be disposable spec 14mm OD to fit right, like the Wallymart Everactive alkaline batteries appear to be.
(perfect and fightless fit)
Battlebot grade, or high performance flat tops are fine too.
I can add nips to those.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
a) Rub all contact surfaces with some 1500-2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper stuck to the end of a pencil. Do not use a pencil eraser as the rubber contains all sorts of binders in addition to the gentle abrasives you're trying to access.

b) Swab all contacts with a cotton swab dipped in 90% isopropyl alcohol. I have found that these surfaces often come with processing oils and some degreasing is beneficial.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where to get this where I live, mainly because I don't know what it is called in Norwegian. But I will see if I can find something else that will do the job, and retest afterwards.
But it is of course better to get adapters that doesn't require this kind of work.

Sigbjoern