Best Incan Bulb for 9 volt applicaiton

daBear

daBear

Enlightened
I have a old 1185 in a Mag 3D and some new batteries. These are D cell Li-Ion and are rated a 3 volts not 3.6. What is a good incan bulb for a 9 volt operation? Thanks

darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Are they LiFePO4 cells? If so, I believe their nominal voltage is 3.2, which puts you at 9.6 volts nominal. That's tough, as the voltage is too high to overdrive a 6 volt bulb, and you'd be driving the 1185 at spec. You might be able to run a 7.2 volt bulb off of them, but that is still a 33% overdrive, which is likely pushing things. If you still have the stock bulb tower, I imagine you could run a 6 cell mag krypton bulb off of them. A 6 cell xenon may survive as well. The other thing is to try to find a 6 volt bulb with a long (2000) hour predicted life span; it would likely be able to survive pretty significant overdrive. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful; hopefully someone who knows more bulbs than I do will chime in!

daBear

daBear

Enlightened
Thanks darkknightlight. These are LiSO2, PTC-protected cells from HDS Systems.

I have the 1185 bulb in the light right now and it looks like a regular mag light. I have a couple of other bulbs in my tool box and I am going to give them a try. This is a tough voltage to deal with. I need a nice 8 volt 25 watt bulb.

daBear

daBear

Enlightened
Much appreciated 5M. Glad to see you are still around. It has been quite a while since I have been here and I still recognize some of the old timers. Actually, I feel like the largest dummy around. I just found out these fine Li-Ion cells are primary cells and that is not what I wanted at all. Shame on me for not reading all the way through the description before I ordered them.