Best infinite light adjustment led flashlight recommendations

LIGHTSMAD

Enlightened
I had jet beam rrt-0 which I loved but had tail end switch problems twice....any more of these type of lights out there with regulation and good Reliability .... I recently purchased nitecore Mh23 but realised it was not regulated So would like a regulated and infinite brightness flashlight that is super reliable

Thoughts appreciated

tnks

Gary

parametrek

Enlightened
The most reliable would be an HDS Rotary. They only have like 20 levels but it is close enough to infinite for most purposes :)

How do you feel about infinite ramping? Most of the 158 lights with an infinite number of levels in my DB use ramping. But I'm guessing you really want a control ring. The $300 HDS Rotary still counts as a ring UI btw :)

Though sadly control rings aren't as popular as they were a few years ago. Now most control ring flashlight now are made by Nitecore or Acebeam. The Acebeams are probably better constructed but they are also huge megalights. Maybe the Nitecore SRT3?

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's too bad Sunwayman kinda dropped out. An updated V11R with newer emitter and a modern driver that has low voltage protection / battery check would be killer.

The HDS commands a high price but it is no doubt a premium product. Best overall light I own.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Love my HDS lights, my favorite. If reliability (not budget!) is your main concern, this is it. Look no further than an HDS Rotary.

I own an Emisar D4 (40$)with a great ramping UI but it's quad-led hot rod that needs some careful attention to locking out. If that thing comes on in high while pocketed....get on the pain train! I'm too forgetful so I don't carry it much so really can't speak to reliability. It does have legions of fans, however.

colight

Enlightened
I had jet beam rrt-0 which I loved but had tail end switch problems twice....any more of these type of lights out there with regulation and good Reliability .... I recently purchased nitecore Mh23 but realised it was not regulated So would like a regulated and infinite brightness flashlight that is super reliable

Thoughts appreciated

tnks

Gary

Try the FD series from Fenix: FD30, FD41 and FD65. Fenix is well-known for reliability, and you get a peace-of-mind warranty as part of the deal. Their CS is top notch IF you encounter problems with any of their lights. I have a few, including the FD41, but never have I encountered any problem whatsoever. The FD45 unfortunately doesn't have the infinite brightness. Some people find the revolving ring too tight, but I found that it becomes more flexible with continued use. I heartily recommend these!

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
I really like my thrunite neutron. It seems to have a good CRI from what I can tell, a nice beam not too floody not too much throw, good build quality, a cool battery indicator light, satisfying click....

mulletbay1

Newly Enlightened
Hi

For photography and light painting in photography, I would like to know if there is an led light that has both: infinite output adjustment(or close to) and a focus zoom?

Thanku,
Bill Perrelli

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
Try the FD series from Fenix: FD30, FD41 and FD65. Fenix is well-known for reliability, and you get a peace-of-mind warranty as part of the deal. Their CS is top notch IF you encounter problems with any of their lights. I have a few, including the FD41, but never have I encountered any problem whatsoever. The FD45 unfortunately doesn't have the infinite brightness. Some people find the revolving ring too tight, but I found that it becomes more flexible with continued use. I heartily recommend these!
I used to like Fenix a lot too, until I had problems with a PD31 and a 2AA. I was told by their "warranty" department on both to ship them back to China, and they "may" repair on their cost, or bill me. Either way, shipping was on me. That caused me to be Really disillusioned with their warrantee and customer service. Never had that kind of problem with Malkoff, Surefire or now, Cloud Defensive.

That experience was not unique to Fenix. I've been flash-lighting a good many decades now and have had "throw-a-way experiences with many electronic switching Chinese-made lights including Olight, EagleTac, Fenix and others (just did a recent thread where I gave away four more totally dead ones). So, now if i buy one, it is with the understanding that the risk is all mine. That doesn't stop me from experimenting, only that I know the risk going in. While that sounds like a blanket bad review, I must also report very good service from several Wuban models including the C3, the 6P clone by KDLITKER (but NOT their pills), a Supbeam K40M, a Nitecore HC90 and a couple Trunite 101V2s

As far as infinite switching, just bought a highly rated one: Sofim SP10 Pro V2. It works well, much but not all of the time. Sometimes the variable output is simply stuck one way or the other. Or, just shuts down. And, yes, it is sold as being 14500 capable. So, because of it's lack of consistency, it will be either given to a grandchild, or mostly used for experimenting or just as a hanging backyard light.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as infinite switching, just bought a highly rated one: Sofim SP10 Pro V2. It works well, much but not all of the time. Sometimes the variable output is simply stuck one way or the other. Or, just shuts down.
sorry you seem to have so many warranty issues with so many different brands,

I wonder if you are running the batteries too low?

I have never had an Anduril light get stuck, nor turn off.. I make sure to keep my batteries charged.. and do not wait for LVP to kick in..

My favorite Infinitely Adjustable light is the 2011 Jetbeam RRT-01. (with LED and lens upgrade)

Rqsrgbf.jpg
(there is also a 2020 version with the same UI)

The RRT-01 has the following favorite features:

UI, smooth ramping Rotary, with firefly lows
LED, High CRI sw45k with tint below the BBL
pocket clip attachment, held with screws,
weight, under 100 grams (weighs 72 grams w 18350 battery),
lens material, sapphire
beam style, tight hotspot from single LED in reflector
nightstand locator, glow in the dark tail marker:

qUjBUbx.jpg

---

I also enjoy Anduril lights, their 150 step smooth ramping looks stepless. Im especially fond of the Sofirn SC21 Pro.. (with LED and optic upgrade)
AlJp4yD.jpg
because it has the following favorite features:

UI, smooth ramping Anduril 2, reflashed with firefly lows
LED, High CRI 3000K 219b with tint below the BBL
pocket clip position is deep carry
there is a tail magnet
weight, under 100 grams (weighs 57 grams w 16340 battery),
built in charging
lens material, Pebbled Tir
beam style, smooth gradient narrow flood for glare free beam
nightstand locator, illuminated switch button

EP1kNYj.jpg

Last edited:

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
sorry you seem to have so many warranty issues with so many different brands,

I wonder if you are running the batteries too low?
Hi Jon, Nope, not running batteries too low.

But, the fact that I have run into many faulty lights (maybe 15 or 20 bad lights over the course of more than 40 years (yes, pre-LED)) may be because I have had a large collection (in my 70s) myself. I helped many officers of local departments obtain or repair their lights. And, I really enjoy giving flashlights for Christmas and birthdays. My wife and I have 24 grandchildren ourselves. And, more than that, I am the oldest of 10 children and my siblings have lots of children too. Can you imagine how many flashlights, batteries and rechargers that I have bought for Christmas presents over the past 40+ years? It boggles even my mind.

Given that I have handled such high numbers of lights over many decades, I know first hand that there is a huge difference between "duty" quality lights that someone might be risking their life or their families lives with, and the vast number of otherwise useful, fun or even well made lights.

Besides having high quality reliable lights, One other remedy for potentially having a bad light in an emergency situation is to have more, or even way more if flashlights are your hobby too;) backups.

lolol. Lets see how many flashlights (or lanterns) does each house really need: one in each car. One on everyone's keychain. One in each bedroom. One in each bathroom for nightlight or backup. One in the kitchen misc, drawer. One in each backpack or fanny pack. One at each desk. One with each firearm or safe. One in the shed. One in the garage. Another one at the workbench. One in the portable tool box, One in the large tool box. Three in the backyard lighting box. One for the attic. One for the basement. At least one for low lighting in the emergency kit in the house. Three in the camping gear box. One or two just for long distance home defense. Three or four that are new but haven't been tested yet, so can't be put in circulation. Half a dozen that are older versions stored away that are not quite as useful, but have sentimental value. At least six that the grandchildren can use on night walks when they come to visit grandpa. Maybe more in the Christmas gift box for someone who likes to give them as gifts.
😊

EDIT: I forgot this category: Once all those "needs" are covered, there may be one (or more) light that you enjoy so much that you have to have a backup just in case you loose the one you are using now.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats a beautiful range of experience.
What a wonderfully large family to share it with too..
many blessings.

I wonder if the lights that failed more often, were the unpotted ones. Which tend to be the ones made overseas.

Do you think it is fair to say that the USA made lights are more durable, partly because they are potted?

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
Thats a beautiful range of experience.
What a wonderfully large family to share it with too..
many blessings.

I wonder if the lights that failed more often, were the unpotted ones. Which tend to be the ones made overseas.

Do you think it is fair to say that the USA made lights are more durable, partly because they are potted?

Hi Jon,

Yes, absolutely many Blessings! Thanks be to God.

And, yes, the heat transfer qualities, and the physical support given by full potting is one thing that helps with reliability/durability. I tend to think that the biggest problem was with electronic switching for either on/off or output level. Next would be LED issues. The lights that used actual mechanical circuit connection completion (like the 6p and Malkoff MD series) have an unquestionably better long-term stability.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights that used actual mechanical circuit connection completion (like the 6p and Malkoff MD series) have an unquestionably better long-term stability.
great info.. Malkoff are very basic and literally solid lights. A couple of modes, extra thick bodies and heads, mechanical switches, and potted drivers. Great to hear your impressions.

What are your impressions of some of the infinitely variable models? Any experience w HDS? They use potting, but the switch is electronic, and they have a rotary tail that steps through 24 modes (not infinitely variable, but at least they have a Rotary UI).. Did they survive duty carry and grandchildren too? ;-)

My favorite Infinitely Variable Rotary is the Jetbeam RRT-01.. any experience with their reliability?.. they are not potted, but also have no tailswitch at all? (Im not a hard user, my lights get pampered, in a dedicated pocket). I confess I have damaged the driver wires during some LED swaps. Fortunately replacement drivers are still available. They currently offer a model that includes a mechanical tail switch, though the driver is still not potted..

And the other infinitely variable light, the Sunwayman V11r, any experience?.. They have mechanical switches, but are not potted, and have a sad reputation of not working after being dropped... and replacement drivers are NLA.

Thanks for your thoughts.. Have a great weekend! ;-)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some believe the term 'infinite ramping' is more promotion than useful term. 12 ramping steps for the range of light intensity coming from an HDS sounds like plenty of options.

Hot Rod Anduril lights really only get used perhaps a dozen or so approximate levels, maybe quite a bit less. After all, human eyesight is not able to discern small differences in overall lumens, right? Maybe about 6 useful levels with actual outputs varying in light level but close enough?

Having an early SureFire U2, the range from lowest setting to 100 lumens was really not a lot to work with. For me it was about 3, maybe four levels used, with minimum and maximum used most of the time.

Zebralight showed many of us how useful the really low lumens can be, opening up more range.

This is not at all a criticism of ramping lights. They are wonderful for many of us frequent users.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Infinitely Variable was a term coined by Jetbeam, for their RRT-01 with magnetic rotary dial. They now call it stepless dimming. There are no discrete modes, as used in clicky lights.

fwiw, the HDS is a 24 step clicky. When we change modes we see discrete visually brighter hops in output (in the case of HDS each step is 50% brighter). The Zebra uses a 12 step clicky UI. They are not stepless, nor infinitely variable. The Cool Fall Spy uses a 7 step dial, also not stepless, nor visually smooth ramping.

Anduril lights use 150 steps, we can ramp up or down in a visually smooth manner. This is different than stepped mode lights that do not ramp along a visually smooth output gradient.

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
great info.. Malkoff are very basic and literally solid lights. A couple of modes, extra thick bodies and heads, mechanical switches, and potted drivers. Great to hear your impressions.

What are your impressions of some of the infinitely variable models? Any experience w HDS? They use potting, but the switch is electronic, and they have a rotary tail that steps through 24 modes (not infinitely variable, but at least they have a Rotary UI).. Did they survive duty carry and grandchildren too? ;-)

Thanks for your thoughts.. Have a great weekend! ;-)
My experience is that frequently the lights with multiple steps did not stand up to long term hard use. Or, they were to complex to use in stress situations. Including the Surefire U2.
Here are some lights that I currently have and a report on how they have stood up to actual use. All were new from authorized dealer and unmodded unless noted.

Vinh-modded Supbeam K40M. 7 total steps with rotary dial. In the about 6-7 years of ordinary household use, it has performed flawlessly every time.

EagleTac M2C4. was supposed to have about 7 total steps with rotary dial. The dial has become loose, and one or more steps are missing. This light was returned to me by the LEO who initially used it and found it unreliable. (He traded it to me for a Surefire 6P bored for 18650s, UCL installed with McClicky switch and Malkoff M61. That light has been totally reliable for him day in and day out for years now.)

NiteCore HC90 Green, red and blue led, plus lever adjusting out put. I don't remember what the factory said, but it appears "infinitely adjustable" output with no visually apparent changes in level. This light has worked great for years with one exception: It drains batteries when in the off position. So, i have to keep the batteries out of it until use.

Sofirm SP10Pro. Electronic switch adjustments, also such small output steps that it could be fully adjustable. This is only a month old. It is rated for 14500 which is one of the reasons that I wanted to experiment with it. Unfortunately, the step frequently does not want to move. That is, button pushed properly, but no change in output. It is a fun light and I will use it to finish off old Alkaline batteries.

So, as I review the above 4 lights, three of them have problems of one sort or another. And, these are the ones that I have kept, not the ones that over time I either returned or discarded.

IMG_1260.jpg

Now for another category: the manual output controls:

Here are three at my desk right now:

Malkoff MD2 with hi/lo switch. That adjustment is made mechanically. And, has worked flawlessly in many dozens of Malkoff lights that I have owned or obtained for others.

Surefire EDCL2-T and Tactician. Both have mechanical adjustment, the first in tailcap and the other in head tightening. So far in only months testing, both have worked flawlessly.

Well, with one proviso: The EDCL2-T works flawlessly with CR123s. It also works with 16650 batteries but with a noticeable reduction in output. (It does not work at all with RCR123s)

The Surefire Tactician on the other hand works great with all three types of batteries. I've removed the clip because I don't like lens up carry and it is getting a lot of pocket time in the house.

IMG_1259.jpg

One more: The brand new Cloud Defensive MCH with 4 programable levels. I have been testing two of these for about a month and am not prepared yet to recommend it for duty use, but so far, they both have worked flawlessly over many hours of testing and programming changes. This may be the very first light with electronic switching controls that I will be willing to recommend to my LEOs for duty use.

IMG_1261.jpg

I hope that these real world experiences help.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the low-cost end of things, an 18650 headlamp selling for $10 or less here is useful as a sort-of flashlight (as well as mini worklight) when detached from its band/clip. It has continuous dimming control on both spot and COB flood; press/hold. It's available under Olympia and Farpoint brands.

I realize this is probably not what the OP (and perhaps majority of people) want as it does not give instantaneous control of a rotary control or slider; especially that it needs dim up/down or down/up to get to desired setting. However, it has this capability, and at low cost.

Dave