best key-chain sized light

mr.lumen

Enlightened
so they are made with the xpg2's now? i think the one i have is just and xpg. do you think oveready would do an emitter swap?

The Peak Eigers don't have the XM-L, but the XP-G2 is pretty bright.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
yea that does look like a nice light but it is a little big for what im looking for. thank you

My wife and I both have FourSevens MLR2 lights on our keychains. In my opinion its size defines the outer limit for a keychain light, but the combination of size, brightness, and runtime is impressive.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
thats interesting. my only question is do you know if that company will do that head with the new eiger heads that have the xpg2 in them?

Physically, you could fit a Peak Eiger X (direct drive, 1.7A) to an 10180 Eiger body. Or even an Eiger Ultra X with the bigger head for better throw. Rated 425+ LED lumens on em-mgt.com

Electronically speaking, and someone may/may not correct me on this, I'm not sure a 10180 cell would be happy at that kind of current draw but given that you have the body already, it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of the head you want.

I've a 'normal', neutral XPG head and Nichia 219 mule head for my v.2 QTC Eiger 10180 and 10440 bodies, both heat up very fast on full wack (as expected from such small, high output lights)..

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have the Peak Eiger 10180 body, you can just buy a new head. I have the Nichia 219 mule on the 10180 body and the XP-G2 N large optic on a 10440 body with momentary switch and no QTC.

I also have a Quantum DD - Vinh upgraded to the XP-G2 and is bright. I believe the new DD2 versions not only have the XP-G2, but have move the QTC to the head for smoother control.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
i am interested in getting one of the new 44dd but i cant find a sales page for them, dang it! that looks like exactly what im looking for.

I've tried most of the 10180 and smaller 10440 lights when I was searching for my perfect neck light. The two that got the most neck time were an Eiger 10180 lug body and a DQG AAA Ti. That is until I got my 40DD the ramping is waaaaaay smoother than that of the Eiger and it's much smaller as well. The Eiger was very jumpy and had to be taken apart and readjusted constantly. This was also a Gen 2 QTC Peak.

I'll also say that the DQG Ti is an absolute steal for the price. Wonderful knurling, beautiful beam and tint, the smallest 10440 light out there, titanium, and cheap. If the UI was the twist for low, twist more for high instead of twist on for low, twist off, twist on for high, then this would be my favorite 10440 light.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
thanks for that i guess i will settle for the second generation quantum if i can not find the newest one anywhere. thank you! no maglites for me.

No experience in this arena, except for a maglite solitaire LED. You folks tried it yet? Not bad for running on a single alkie AAA. Also, illumination supply has some Quantum D2 on sale, even.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
i might get the new head for the eiger but i am loving the quantum dd. where do you buy the newest version or are they all sold out?

If you have the Peak Eiger 10180 body, you can just buy a new head. I have the Nichia 219 mule on the 10180 body and the XP-G2 N large optic on a 10440 body with momentary switch and no QTC.

I also have a Quantum DD - Vinh upgraded to the XP-G2 and is bright. I believe the new DD2 versions not only have the XP-G2, but have move the QTC to the head for smoother control.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
ok so your saying i could not use that direct drive head with the smaller 10180 body? it would burn up too quickly?

The Peak EigerX (& related models) are not designed to use any cells other than ICR 10440 .... Smaller Li-Ion batteries would not be recommended, and likely would not deliver the expected current and output.

Probably voltage sag would be the primary limiting factor, but safety could perhaps be compromised.

mudjunky

Newly Enlightened
I had the Streamlight Nano, but found the EagleTac promotional keychain light worked just fine and weights almost nothing. I think it's the same $2 light you can get from FT.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
thanks man. ithink im going to go with the d2 since i cant find the 40dd anywhere.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
i would prefer the 38dd or the 40dd if anyone has one that they could part with. i really want to wear it on my neck and the lightness of the ti is really enticing.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I have a bead blasted stainless steel 40DD and it's very light FWIW. The titanium version would be even lighter but light is so small that the difference would be only a few grams.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
man i did not realize the 40dd was 40mm i thought the only one that was 40mm was the 44dd. im sorry. also i thought it had the xpg2 in it. thank you for your help im going to hold off till i can find one in ti. the weight is a plus but also i like having a ti light. thank you.
I have a bead blasted stainless steel 40DD and it's very light FWIW. The titanium version would be even lighter but light is so small that the difference would be only a few grams.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the new dd, try Ilumination Supply.

The Peak Eiger 10180 is fine for all the heads listed on the Oveready site. The Peak shop may have some heads not intended for the 10180. I live in Switzerland and only buy my Peaks from Oveready. They have great customer service. Peak won't sell to me.

The MBI HF is also very nice.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Any time buddy. I would only get a 10180 sized Eiger over the Quantum DD/D2/40DD if you need a light that's nearly bulletproof.

FWIW, my 40DD came to me with two QTC pieces stacked on top of each other. When I asked the seller why he did this he replied that it made the ramping smoother. I haven't tried the 40DD with only one QTC nor have I tried the Eiger with two.

kukkurovaca

Newly Enlightened
If it's any help, I have a basic comparison (with photos) of the form factors of the 10180 Eiger (with mule head) and the Quantum DD in another thread. I definitely think the Quantum is a better keychain light, but with Peak you do have modularity and more emitter/beam pattern choices, which is nice.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
i agree on both accounts :)

For the new dd, try Ilumination Supply.

The Peak Eiger 10180 is fine for all the heads listed on the Oveready site. The Peak shop may have some heads not intended for the 10180. I live in Switzerland and only buy my Peaks from Oveready. They have great customer service. Peak won't sell to me.

The MBI HF is also very nice.

mr.lumen

Enlightened
thanks man, i already have the peak eiger and i lover it. since i got the flat body i wont be able to hang it from my neck so i think i will just buy the d2 since no one wants to sell me the ti version. oh well :)

Any time buddy. I would only get a 10180 sized Eiger over the Quantum DD/D2/40DD if you need a light that's nearly bulletproof.

FWIW, my 40DD came to me with two QTC pieces stacked on top of each other. When I asked the seller why he did this he replied that it made the ramping smoother. I haven't tried the 40DD with only one QTC nor have I tried the Eiger with two.