best lawnmower

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Whoa! Wouldn't expect this comment from a guy call's himslef "BatteryCharger!" Yikes. No power? I guess it depends on what you're cutting. I'm cutting grass. This thing can't be stopped any easier than the new 5pm Craftsman (whoever makes those) that this replaced.

I mow at MOST 2x per week. On a single charge I can mow four times. Takes about four hours to charge. I have yet to be cramped for recharge time!

Again, I guess it all depends on what your use is. Right tool for the job and all that. If I were a greenskeeper, I guess I wouldn't choose rechargeable electric, ya know? For a typical suburban lawn - nothing better.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how many postage stamps does it take to cover your yard? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif How many amps is the motor? The weakest gas lawnmower you can buy is 3.5hp...which would be over 108 amps for electric. I really don't mean to be rude here, but no matter how you look at it, an electric mower only compares to the bottom of the line gas mowers. That's all some people need, but I doubt raggie would be asking about lawnmowers if that was the case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not taken my mom's(mine now)electric mower apart yet.

she blames me for sugesting that she buy one - she hated it.

yes it is a black and decker mower.

so It has 2 12 volt batterys

it is one of the worst mowers I have ever pushed around a yard.

Darell

Flashaholic
My grass covers about 1/8th of an acre. Big by suburban standards, small by many other standards, I'm sure. I was asking about lawnmowers when I needed one... and the same size was the case then as it is now. So I guess I'm not really sure why Raggie's question in itself means that he needs more Amps? I haven't a clue what the Amp rating is on the mower I have - and it also doesn't matter. Like I said, I had new a 5hp gas mower, and I traded it in for this one... This one does a better job, even if it may be less powerful. I also had a 250HP car at one time. Didn't need the power then either. My 135HP electric car was even quicker to 60mph. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Markdi -

Black and Decker makes several models, from the crappy 12V, up to the decent 12V, up to the good 24V, up to the very good 24V like the one pictured. They are NOT all the same! Trust me on this. The worst mower you've had (in how many years have you been mowing?) and yet the best mower I've had in 40 years. My guess is that we're comparing Geo's with Corvettes. Granted this 1/8th acre lawn is about all the lawn area I've ever had to mow... give me more, and I'd consider killing myself or paying somebody else to mow it. As it is, I've ripped out about 1/4 of my lawn and planted fruit trees so I wouldn't have to water or mow so much! Life is too short to be spending that much time mowing (and changing oil, and buying gas).

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am goimg to be 39 in april
I have been mowing since I was around 11 or 12

it was the most exspensive black and decker 24 volt model
with 5 peak horse power.

my 7 hp big wheel craftsman mower will mow very wet or tall grass. (sharp blade)

I thought my mom would love the electric mower.

DaFiend

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
I still want to use a high power CO2 laser to mow my lawn, with a laser absorbing material serving as flower bed border.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh, check out this funny little thread on Alt.lasers about if its possible for a laser tree trimmer.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BatteryCharger said:
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Whoa! Wouldn't expect this comment from a guy call's himslef "BatteryCharger!" Yikes. No power? I guess it depends on what you're cutting. I'm cutting grass. This thing can't be stopped any easier than the new 5pm Craftsman (whoever makes those) that this replaced.

I mow at MOST 2x per week. On a single charge I can mow four times. Takes about four hours to charge. I have yet to be cramped for recharge time!

Again, I guess it all depends on what your use is. Right tool for the job and all that. If I were a greenskeeper, I guess I wouldn't choose rechargeable electric, ya know? For a typical suburban lawn - nothing better.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how many postage stamps does it take to cover your yard? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif How many amps is the motor? The weakest gas lawnmower you can buy is 3.5hp...which would be over 108 amps for electric. I really don't mean to be rude here, but no matter how you look at it, an electric mower only compares to the bottom of the line gas mowers. That's all some people need, but I doubt raggie would be asking about lawnmowers if that was the case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to split hairs, but I hate to see tech info given that's not quite accurate. Overall, yes, you're in the ballpark. But, some details need to be touched on.

And forgive my.... subtleness? I have the tact of a well-thrown brick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

When running a load such as a mower blade gas engines have to be sized about 1/3 larger than a comparable electric motor. So this automatically de-rates your 3.5 hp engine down to about 2.6 electric horsepower, which is only 80 amps at 24 volts.

Also.... and this is the most important distinction. The torque bands on a gas engine and electric motor are hugely different. Gas makes most torque at mid to high end. Electric makes more toward the bottom. Net effect is that a smaller electric motor will out cut a much larger gas one.

In closing.... yes electrics are really only suited to small yards.

Now, before you think I'm in the "electric" camp. Here's what I cut with.

turftiger1.jpg

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog, my point was that an electric mower only has the power of the lowest gaser you can get. If it runs for 45 minutes and doesn't appear to have two giant trolling motor batteries attached to it, it probably uses closer to 50 amps...or 1.6hp.

Electric might suit some people fine, but go to any forum about lawnmowers and I'll bet you don't hear one good thing about them. When they come out with an electric mower that will run for two hours and cut 6" tall wet grass and cost the same or less than an equal gas mower I'll buy it. Until then as far as I'm concerned they are a novelty...

Darell

Flashaholic
You're starting to scare me Turbodog! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

For the rest - I give up. All I know for sure is that I was mowing with a 5hp gas mower, and I now mow with an electric. The mowing part works the same - the grass is shorter in the same amount of mowing time/effort. What is vastly improved is that I don't need to store or stabilize gas, change the oil or air filter and I don't have to "start" the damn thing or wear hearing protection. I also don't have to breath the stench. A novelty to some, I suppose. But I just call it my lawnmower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Was just trying to point out what makes my life better.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found it...1339 watts, or 1.79hp. For $4-500, I'd rather just hire an illegal immigrant - no gas, no oil, no battery charging. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BatteryCharger said:
... I'd rather just hire an illegal immigrant - no gas, no oil, no battery charging. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought I was the one with the subtlety problem.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
Goats...
Works on brush also
Apple trees, Beans, Tomatoes, Squash.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but I've already surpassed my allocation of farm animals allowed in the homeowner's association.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I used to have a gas mower, but for the past few years I've been using one of the 24V cordless B&D lawnmowers.

Is an electric mower for everyone? No. but neither are Electric vehicles, Suburbans, Corvettes, or ride-on gas mowers.

Our previous yard was very small (lot was 40x120, including hte house and 2 car garage), so I could easily cut both the front and back on a single charge. We have a much larger yard as of last year, so it takes about 2-3 full charges, depending on how tall or wet the grass is. It helps to have a a well tuned blade (Sharpened regularly with a dremel, underside of the deck sprayed with Silicone before each mow.)

It's inconvenient not to be able to do the whole yard at one go, but when I consider the smell of exhaust, the extra noise, extra maintenence and hassle of buying and storing gas, I'm going to stick with this for at least another year. I'm planning to plant more trees/ shrubs / flower beds in the front and a garden in the back so I can reduce the mowable acreage.

Back to my rant about overconsumption - suburban lawns are a huge waste of resources. They're a waste of land, waste of clean water, pollute (via fertilizers, weedkillers and the like) resources (maintenence) etc. There should be a stigma to having a massive manicured lawn the same as there is a stigma to commuting alone in a HUMMER.

newo

Newly Enlightened
I live in one of those developments, fairly common in FL, where the same guys that take care of the golf course do our gardening - built into the HOA fees. I'd rather pay a neighborhood kid, but I don't get that choice.

But, back in the 80s, in a different life, I lived in England for a few years, courtesy of Uncle Sam. The grass that I had was very different than what I've seen in various places in the States - this stuff was pretty fine, and relatively soft and easy to cut. Anyway, I had a lawnmower that was sold under the brandname "Flymo". It was electric (plug-in, not battery), and it was like a hovercraft - no wheels - it just floated on a cushion of air. Other than the fact that I ran over the electric cord once, thus suffering an immediate loss of power and altitude, this thing was terrific. I'm not sure if they could make these in a battery powered version, due to the extra weight, but if they could it would be most excellent.