Best LED light for under $50

lights-out

Newly Enlightened
Looking at getting some presents (under $50) and wanted to get the CPF take on it.

There are tons of brands out there that all claim different things regarding lumens and distance. I want a good throw and very bright, and something I can but locally (would like to try before I buy) - even though it will be more expensive.

I would say my favorite lights for under $50 that I own are:
  • Most of the COAST lights with the TIR Optics (great throw and normally a very white LED)
  • ICON Rogue 2 - like it better than the Rogue 1 because of the power and the throw. Found it at Radio Shack and really like it. I think it compares to the INOVA branded lights, but a lot cheaper price
  • The Energizer e2 Light (blue packaging)
Am I missing a light that I should consider for a gift?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a local buy a good choice might be the lows task force 3C or the rayovac sportsmen extreme 2c. Both are good cheap throwers. I've also heard that dorcy has a pretty deceny budget thrower right now but I dont know much about it.

lights-out

Newly Enlightened
Wow that was a quick post

Based on who the gifts are for, here is what I am looking for:
  1. Alkaline batteries
  2. Good throw and good flood - can I have my cake and eat it too? Would rather have a good throw I think - they will use it out in the country
  3. Something that has a good battery life
Hope this helps - thanks for your help in advance

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that was a quick post

Based on who the gifts are for, here is what I am looking for:
  1. Alkaline batteries
  2. Good throw and good flood - can I have my cake and eat it too? Would rather have a good throw I think - they will use it out in the country
  3. Something that has a good battery life
Hope this helps - thanks for your help in advance

If you are willing to buy a light online, either the MG RX-1 or the MG PLI might be really good choices. They are quad die LED lights, 4 emitters, so they have a good amount of flood and throw combined and are both around your price range at about 60 bucks. Oh but they use cr123's, so maybe the lowes taskforce or the sportsman extreme are better.

lights-out

Newly Enlightened
I see the C cells batteries - is there anything smaller like AA or AAA that will get a good throw? I guess I should add one more feature - compact.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see the C cells batteries - is there anything smaller like AA or AAA that will get a good throw? I guess I should add one more feature - compact.

Hmmm, again if it has to be from a store your options are much more limited. Maybe the duracell daylite 2AA? Not sure though

If you buy something online, maybe just something that is bright enough to have a decent throw or something with an aspheric. For example, the romisen rc-n3, a very popular budget light online, is not at all a "thrower" but I can still see the beam it throws at least 100 yards away, maybe more.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK20, got mine for $48.90 after using "CPF8" discount code from 4sevens. Uses 2xAA, has 2 modes, built like a tank and has a very nice neutral tint which would be better for outdoors IMHO. Just makes it for your budget.

4sevens has free international shipping too. Don't get too fixated on buying locally, this is one fantastic light, do a search and you will see.

edc3

Enlightened
With the "secret Quark sale code" I found on 4Sevens Facebook I got a Quark AA Tactical for $48.45. I think this is a heck of a light at regular price and a great deal for under $50 shipped. Definitely recommended if you decide to order on the internet.

edc3

Enlightened
:laughing:

Is shows you how much I like the light that I bought another aluminum one AFTER winning the Ti set. But yeah, the Ti set for $0 shipped is a little better deal.

Luminesce

Newly Enlightened
lights-out penned: I want a good throw and very bright, and something I can buy locally (would like to try before I buy) - even though it will be more expensive.
------------

The advantage is that you probably can try and then return the light to stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, Wally-Mart, Sport Authority, ****'s Sporting Goods, Eastern Mt Sports, REI, etc... Also consider any private or regional sporting goods store in your area. There is a sporting good store local to me that has been around for decades and prides itself on great service. Anything I can buy, I can return. Downside is it will dramatically limit your choices of lights.

You did say alkalines and that will limit your choices a bit more. Generally the alkalines lights are not going to be the brightest lights but alkalines are easy to find and almost always on sale. For the best of both worlds, throw and flood, consider an Eagletac P10A for 1-AA and the P10A2 for a 2-AA. I use the P10A when I have a jacket pocket to place it in. Not too heavy, big or bulky but not as compact as my EDC Fenix L1D (1-AA). The P10A has a bright hotspot and on high is a little brighter than my Fenix L2D (2-AA) on turbo, both also have a decent flood area. The L1/2D line has interchangable parts so you can use them as a 1-AA or as a 2-AA light, something to consider. Also Keep in mind the line of alkaline powered lights that 4-Sevens has out, not very familar with them myself but the business has an excellent reputation. I agree that the TK20 is a nice light to consider. You do have choices, which "IS" the problem, choosing!

As for Target and HD, Lowe's. I picked up a River Rock 2-C light that Target discontinued last month, 7090 cree, smaller than 2-C Maglite, some folks got it for ~$13, good light for duty in the car and very good for lighting a room up. Lowe's is going to have a sale on 2D or 3D LED Maglites for $14.97, 11/26/2009 - 11/30/2009 http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...category=Black+Friday&N=4294893155+4294961544 Nice gift and can be modded.

Make a point of reading the reviews like https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224932 and https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235473 and https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229430

The reviewed lights may not be the ones you want but they may give you an idea of how the lights compare to what you do want. I am giving a bunch of AAA lights to friends but none of them will be great outdoor lights for brightness, just convenience, a small light that can be carried on a keychain everyday. I bought a bunch of each type and will let the person getting the light decide which one he/she wants. Hopefully I can sell the leftovers here on CPF.

Your biggest problems will be the $50 tag, use out in the country and bright, if you want one to do it all it ain't gonna happen, you're going to have to compromise.