best light for police use

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most police departments who equip their vehicles with flashlights select either the Streamlight SL-20 or Mag Charger for this purpose. Why do you need a 3-4 hour run time? Is your need for a public safety application or are you just looking for something similar?

Flash-addict said:
just like the title. looking for either an incandacent or led. has to have a decent runtime of at least 3 to 4 hours or close. rechargeable. up to 150 lumens or close. has to at least be close as bright if not brighter than those darn heavy maglights. dc charger for charging in cruiser. any suggestions.

Flash-addict

Newly Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Most police departments who equip their vehicles with flashlights select either the Streamlight SL-20 or Mag Charger for this purpose. Why do you need a 3-4 hour run time? Is your need for a public safety application or are you just looking for something similar?

3-4 hour runtime is not really needed. just nice to have. two hours is great as long as it performs well. and yes it's for police work. i need a back-up light to clip to or slide into one of the grooves on the tactical vests

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need a 3-4 hour runtime in an urban police department for a back-up light, I'd suggest looking for another job, preferably with a better staffed department :D

Streamlight Stion's would be great for the purpose that you're thinking of, but they don't have a clip, so you'd have to come up with something of your own. Any of the quality 2 or 3 cell CR123 powered lights (Surefire, Streamlight, Pelican) would be good, as would a Stinger on your belt. All of these lights have a usable run-time of around an hour.

Though since you did mention a 3-4 hr runtime light, a 3 cell Mag (C or D cell) with the MagLED module is great with traffic wand for traffic control, and if you have had the misfortune of getting on the wrong side of a superior and have been relegated to a long traffic control assignment, this is a great tool, and you can also marginally use it as a flashlight if the need should arise. On a more useful note, it also works great for traffic control if you happen upon a fatal.

EDIT One other thing that you might want to do is to consult with others within your own department. Sometimes there is a preference that most people use equipment that is of the same model or at least operate in the same manner so that someone else can use that piece of equipment intuitively should there be a need to lend or exchange equipment. As an example, there's nothing quite like the oddball in the bunch that throws you a magazine for a Glock 21 when everyone else carries a 22. :)

Flash-addict said:
3-4 hour runtime is not really needed. just nice to have. two hours is great as long as it performs well. and yes it's for police work. i need a back-up light to clip to or slide into one of the grooves on the tactical vests

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think the Fenix L2D-CE would work well. The low would be usefull helping folks see thier wallet or purse...or glancing around in a car. Probably would be the most used setting. Plenty bright spill beam for finding drugs thrown out the window...looking for tire marks on the road to see if a car had it`s brake on before impact...ect. And the throw is no dog either.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'm not an LEO so I can't speak from experience on this, but I have a feel for what I would WANT in a duty oriented setup.

I would want to standardize on 1 type of rechargable cell for a few lights that see daily use. Probably 18650 size protected lithium ion cells. They offer very high energy density for their size and weight, and there are a number of flashlights available that use them, specifically the Wolf-Eyes lineup.

1. A Wolf-Eyes M90-13V-168R Rattlesnake: possibly with a LumensFactory 700 lumen bulb. This would be used for engagements that require an immediate and powerful source of illumination. It's a little easier to handle than a Mag-sized light, but still fairly large. Runs for about an hour with the LumensFactory bulb. Runs on 3x18650 size lithium ion cells. (LRB-168A in wolf-eyes terminology)
2. A smaller go-to light with incandescent output. A Wolf-Eyes 6 series with your choice of D26 or D36 size head, combined with a 3.7V Wolf-Eyes lamp assembly. Runs on a single 18650 sized cell for about an hour. This is the kinda light you can fit comfortably just about anywhere on your person, in a pocket or on the duty belt. This is the one you tuck under your arm while standing with the clipboard, and take a look around in a vehicle without completely blinding the passengers.
3. A LED backup light. A Wolf-Eyes 6A (non-turbo) with a D26 3.7V Cree Drop-in module. This gives you solid bright output for over 2 hours on 1 18650. You may use this one interchangeably with the #2. Some conditions are better for incandescent light and some are better with LED light. Indoors you may like the LED better where outdoors the incan will usually perform better.
4. An AE-Powerlight. It's a 24W HID in the form factor of a larger bulkier light. (girth is a little bigger than a mag, similar length as a 3D) Runs for almost 2 hours, dishes out over a thousand lumen's. Keep this in the driver seat or in the trunk. Pull it out when immediate illumination is not necessary, but a long running search-light is needed.

Well, there's my thoughts. I could be way off base here. Especially if you aren't interested dealing with loose cells to recharge. You'd probably want to own about 10 cells total, and a home and car charger.

Greenlead

Newly Enlightened
I recommend multiple lights:
  • Mag-Charger for the car; grab it when you need it
  • Streamlight Polystinger; keep it on your belt 24/7, use it primarily.
  • LED Mini-Maglite; for times when you don't need a lot of light
  • Surefire G2 or G3 or other compact Surefire; a CR123 light that you can put in a pocket when you need a lot of light or when your other lights fail.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another suggestion apart from the inova T4, is the Pelican M6 Led, LuxeonIII 3watt. It packs quite a beam and it has got all the specification for all industry standards including Ip65 explosion proof for the oil and gas industry. It runs on CR123s but can also use rechargeables as well.

Supernam

Enlightened
Personal preference IF if I was a LEO-
SF M3 or SL TL-3 on 17500's with box of primaries in the car/bag.
SF U2 w 18650 and/or primaries.

I figure you'd want something with good throw and bursts of light for searching etc, and you'd want something with variable led output for long runtime and low light usage like writing tickets. I'm guessing strong incandescents wouldn't get THAT much use to the point where they'd run out on a single Li Ion charge, so they could be charged after each shift. I honestly don't see any point to the SF L7. Many of the SF led's accept primaries AND Li Ions. I'd rather use a SF L6 on 17500's, or better yet, wait for the Cree powered L5. To each his own, but one thing is for sure, I would not want to be caught without a powerful incandescent that can be carried on the body. I also like the Strion because it's externally rechargable, has wonderful output, and can be docked in its charger in your car or at home.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm not a police officer, but I can say that what you're looking for is not doable with one flashlight. In a few years, should LED technology move forward at leaps and bounds, accompanied by some corresponding advances in battery technology ... maybe.

I typically see police officers with two flashlights on their person and at least one more in the car.

One is a duty light - often a maglite or something similar. Not always overly bright, but enough for non-emergency stuff like traffic stops, searching for people/things at short to medium distances while not under duress, etc. Magchargers and Stingers are popular for this since this light is used quite frequently.

The other is a tactical light such as a Surefire G2, Streamlight TL2/TL3, etc. This is a compact, high-output, focused light used in tense situations. Its runtime is typically 20-60 minutes, they run almost exclusively on 123A cells, and these are almost always incandescent (for ease of replacement and the reliability of simplicity). Another feature is a tailcap switch with idiot-proof momentary switching so it will always switch off without having to think about it or possibly screw something up. Given their short runtimes and high cost of lithium cells and their specialized lamps/lamp modules (oftentimes with fairly short lifespans), these lights will probably not see daily use.

Some officers opt for weaponlights mounted to their sidearm and/or on long-barrelled firearms in the vehicle.

It's entirely possible that police officers carry other flashlights on their person - backup lights or more specilized lights such as the Quiglight (slips in a shirt pocket and points downward and out for filling out paperwork) - I've just not seen them on a regular basis.

In the car is often a searchlight of some sort - either attached to the A-pillar of the car, or something like a 10X Dominator. These are typically used at range for longer durations.

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some great answers from a question asked before:

Here is the link to the original:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1708925&postcount=16
from this thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=142395
and here is a great thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=148264
Dang, my links do not work. I will try to fix it. Above links work to take you to this:
This keeps coming up. I have answered it a dozen times maybe:
Recenty another european officer asked the same question, look at his responses:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ad.php?t=128914
He chose the 7w Gostons on the chargers and batteries on this page:
http://www.szwholesale.com/golstonr...02645fddbf0a5b6
I have 33 years in the blue. Many CPF members can give you opinions based on actual experience, not just suposition.
Here are some of my posts on your very question:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...20&postcount=11
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...165&postcount=3
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...132&postcount=3
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...43&postcount=16
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...95&postcount=10
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ad.php?t=103057

contained in this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...754#post1705754

Last edited:

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a rural - read high desert wide open spaces- law enforcement Chaplain occasionally I ride along for a shift and have somewhat different needs than the patrol Officer.

1. SF M3 because fits in Milt Sparks holster made for it and is thus easy to carry and over 30min runtime. Or 2cROP LE, 2 unprotected 18650, run time longer than M3 and easy to carry.

2. And a 5cROP HO, 6 3800 sub C's over one hour runtime and more than I use. Or 3D M@g 85, less runtime than ROP HO but about as much as I would use. 3D M@g 85 is also the goto light when I'm unexpectedly called out.

Typically I carry spare batteries or battery pak for one of the lights I carry in call out bag.

If call out is a missing person search and rescue mission then same as above plus Atlasnova 45mw laser and more replacement battery paks.

02Scuba

Banned
The cheapest one possible. Over the years, I have had my home broken into, my car broken into, my car stolen, I have been robbed and assaulted. Moreover, I see crack dealers peddeling their product within a block of our local police station. The "perps" (is that the correct cop lingo ?) in my case have never been caught and my property has never been recovered. The Police cannot protect you and they cannot enforce the law. At best, they can keep the peace but in large cities it is debatable whether they can even do that.

The type of flashlight the police carry is like asking how should the chairs on the Titanic have been arranged ? What difference does it make ?

02Scuba said:
The type of flashlight the police carry is like asking how should the chairs on the Titanic have been arranged ? What difference does it make ?

I know what you mean. One time a police officer drove up to me to ask me a question and he shined his flashlight at me. It was a real dim flashlight and looked like it was on its last legs of a rechargeable battery. I'm pretty sure he cared much more about whether his sidearm was within easy reach. :lolsign:

lskov

Newly Enlightened
Greenlead said:
I recommend multiple lights:
  • Mag-Charger for the car; grab it when you need it
  • Streamlight Polystinger; keep it on your belt 24/7, use it primarily.
  • LED Mini-Maglite; for times when you don't need a lot of light
  • Surefire G2 or G3 or other compact Surefire; a CR123 light that you can put in a pocket when you need a lot of light or when your other lights fail.
Use a Mag-Charger, solid, and bright, tested and proven. Use as a backup weapon, solid so you can smash a car window if nessesery, and plenty output.
Both AC and DC charging.
This will serve and protect you!!