Best lightweight headlamp

see level

Enlightened
I am looking for a headlamp for my mom. I want it to be real lightweight. Maybe rechargeable or 1 or 2 AA ? Mainly want it to be real bright, at least a few hundred lumens, have a good tint. Would high CRI be good? It will be for seeing things 1 to 15 feet away so a floody beam maybe with a bit of a hot spot? I don't want it reflect back and blind her. It will mainly be used for looking for slugs and snails in the garden at night and inspecting some vegetables before eating in the daytime. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Lexel

Enlightened
Forget 2AAs

the skilhunt H03R weights 138g with headband, 18650 battery
44g for the light, 48g battery and 46 for the straps and silicone holder

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I have an NU20 CRI on order, and I think it's going to be a great fit for this. Super lightweight, decent output and runtimes.

I bought it for my wife who is a runner but not a flashoholic. I hope it will be light, easy to use, and she won't even notice it on her forehead.

The NU20 is 47 grams total--light, battery, and headstrap. That's less than one 18650, or about exactly the weight of two AA cells (23 gms each).

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would only suggest the NU20 if you can wait until it comes out. The original estimated shipping date from nitecorestore.com was November 15. Last week, it was December 15. Now the website says, "This product's shipping has been delayed. Current ETA unknown." I want this headlight as well. I ordered 4 (3 as Christmas presents). Now it seems there's a chance I might not even get them this year. With this delay, you may want to look at other options if you plan on giving the light as a Christmas gift. Lights are starting to come out that have the Cree XP-G3 in them. I'd start looking there.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also waiting for an nu20 here. The nu10 seems ok though and i have just recieved a olight h05 which is small, light , easy to use .

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
h600. it weights less than 18650 battery, brighter than any aaa,aa light. of same weight.

see level

Enlightened
Thanks for all the input. I don't want to give her a 18650 headlamp. The NU20 sounds good but I would prefer to get something right away. I will check out the HL10. Something with only 2 modes, low and high would be good. It has to be lightweight and easy to use or she won't wear it. Are Petzel any good? I have only heard about them.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
H600 + Battery + Headband = over 2.5x the weight of the Nu20.

It's lightweight for an 18650 product, but definitely a different category of torch. The upside is the high output and long runtimes it offers.

Zebralights AA headlamps are a lot closer in weight. The H52F / H52Fw with battery and headband is just under 2/3 the weight of the H600 and has a floody beam, with the option of cool white or neutral white tints. Unfortunately, there's no high CRI version anymore.

The Olight H1 Nova is also very small and light, and the few users here who have one so far have been thrilled by them, but it runs on CR123A batteries. I doubt most casual users want to pay $5 a battery in a brick and mortar store, or buy them 10 at a time online to get decent pricing.

The Fenix HL10, like any 1xAAA light, has limited output and runtimes. For up close work like gardening, it may be enough, but it wouldn't personally be my first choice if I couldn't wait for the Nu20. From Fenix, I'd probably be more inclined to recommend the HL15 or HL23, which should be comparable in weight to the Zebralight H52.

I haven't kept close track of Petzl's products recently, but most of them in the past have been non-regulated, so the output is not very consistent over the course of the battery life. That said, they work ok, are usually lightweight, are easy to use, and are affordable, so Petzl and Black Diamond have been pretty dominant in the mainstream outdoors market.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
Could this be being overthought a bit?

The answers so far seem to be appropriate for the thread title, "best lightweight headlamp". But maybe it should be titled "best lightweight headlamp for my mom"? My point being, though the plethora of flashlight-philes on this forum may direct you to the best of the offerings, your mom may not appreciate the difference over some cheap impulse-purchase-bait headlamp in the checkout lane at Home Depot. Yet the pricepoint difference is at least double, likely more.

I'm not saying buy a cheap one. I'm just suggesting you consider your audience, how much the performance difference made by the extra investment will be noticed by a novice. She'll love you the same either way.

see level

Enlightened
Yes, that is a better thread title, and this is being thought about a lot but not over thought. Here is why... I live in Puna, on the Big Island, Hawaii. It is basically ground zero for Ratlungworm, which can be very serious. You get it from slugs or their slime trail. Eating fresh raw vegetables is one of the most likely ways to get it. If you thoroughly inspect your vegetables and wash them really good( which she does) you will not eat anything that is contaminated. She is 67 and she eats lots of things from her garden every day so I want her to have a very bright , lightweight headlamp for inspecting things before she eats them. I know an 18650 headlamp is far superior to a AA or AAA headlamp, and I JUST realized what I am going to get her. A HP25r. Thanks for all the help. I wouldn't have came to that conclusion without all the different responses.

The answers so far seem to be appropriate for the thread title, "best lightweight headlamp". But maybe it should be titled "best lightweight headlamp for my mom"? My point being, though the plethora of flashlight-philes on this forum may direct you to the best of the offerings, your mom may not appreciate the difference over some cheap impulse-purchase-bait headlamp in the checkout lane at Home Depot. Yet the pricepoint difference is at least double, likely more.

I'm not saying buy a cheap one. I'm just suggesting you consider your audience, how much the performance difference made by the extra investment will be noticed by a novice. She'll love you the same either way.

YahFargo

Newly Enlightened
How about the single AA Thrunite TH20? Good brightness, neutral white, simple UI, on amazon for 30USD. Seems to hit most of the requirements.

Edit: I now see you've chosen a light already. Hope she likes it!

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
Yes, that is a better thread title, and this is being thought about a lot but not over thought. Here is why... I live in Puna, on the Big Island, Hawaii. It is basically ground zero for Ratlungworm, which can be very serious. You get it from slugs or their slime trail. Eating fresh raw vegetables is one of the most likely ways to get it. If you thoroughly inspect your vegetables and wash them really good( which she does) you will not eat anything that is contaminated. She is 67 and she eats lots of things from her garden every day so I want her to have a very bright , lightweight headlamp for inspecting things before she eats them. I know an 18650 headlamp is far superior to a AA or AAA headlamp, and I JUST realized what I am going to get her. A HP25r. Thanks for all the help. I wouldn't have came to that conclusion without all the different responses.

For inspecting vegetables in a garden you should probably get the colors right too, which is why high CRI is important.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast

The answers so far seem to be appropriate for the thread title, "best lightweight headlamp". But maybe it should be titled "best lightweight headlamp for my mom"?

Almost certainly. Good point.

I know an 18650 headlamp is far superior to a AA or AAA headlamp, and I JUST realized what I am going to get her. A HP25r.

USB rechargeable should be a good choice for casual users. That's definitely not a lightweight headlamp, however, even though the rear-mounted battery pack probably distributes the weight pretty comfortably. Just making sure you're aware of that.