Best Low Lumen Flashlight?

Fovea

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a flashlight with good lower lumen settings. I would like to find something that has an ultra low (~.05) bottom end, and has either an infinite increase, or a multiple step up in the lower range i.e. 1lm...3lm...5lm...10lm...etc. I already have a high lumen flashlight, but I would like to get a separate one for very low output.

I have read reviews of the Sunwayman V25C and many people noted issues with this model having output drift.

Any suggestions for a flashlight that operates exceptionally well in the lower range?

Thanks.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a flashlight with good lower lumen settings. I would like to find something that has an ultra low (~.05) bottom end, and has either an infinite increase, or a multiple step up in the lower range i.e. 1lm...3lm...5lm...10lm...etc. I already have a high lumen flashlight, but I would like to get a separate one for very low output.

I have read reviews of the Sunwayman V25C and many people noted issues with this model having output drift.

Any suggestions for a flashlight that operates exceptionally well in the lower range?

Thanks.

The same lumens from a wide beam could look a LOT darker on a wider area, and, a LOT brighter on a smaller area, etc.

Do you have a budget number/range?

What lux level do you want on the surfaces you are shining the light onto?

How large a spot do you want the beam to illuminate at one time?

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
If priority is at the lower level where you don't want just one level down there, then your best bet is one of the infinite variable controlled lights like the Sunwayman V25C you mentioned. The output drift is mostly on the higher output from what I remember. I can't remember how well the resolution was down at the low end. The only thing I did not like about that light is the 360 deg rotation without any detents so you could know where you are at. I prefer the Nitecore SRT6 over the V25C.

Then there is the Sunwayman V11R. I have both of those and those are the ones I use when wanting a very low mode......pretty easy to adjust whatever output you want down on the low end. The V11R probably has a little more resolution with the dial down near 0 lumens. I guess it depends on what battery type you want.

Last edited:

unnamedny

Newly Enlightened
Sunwayman is an option, but I would not recommend it. I had one and it just fell apart within a year. Magnetic ring lost it's stiffness and was rotating without any effort. Button broke as well.

edit:take a look at JETBeam RRT-0

Also take a look at programmable lights such as HexBright FLEX

Last edited:

cyclesport

Enlightened
My mag-ring light experience is limited to the "pocketable" size EDC variety, but I've had many of the current smaller 16340 lights and the one that exhibits stable output, and the most absolute control over incremental lumen change is the Jetbeam RRT-01...still one of my favorite UI's. It will dim to (the lowest level of any light I've used) virtually unmeasurable levels (probably .001 lumen range) and everything in between up to around 600+ lumens using 18350 IMRs.

Parasitic drain is an issue with mag-ring lights, so run times will be noticeably less than their clicky counterparts, however the RRT-01 does not seem to be nearly as bad as others...particularly the Sunwayman V11r/V10r series.

*IMO, mag-ring lights are especially well suited for use with tinted and diffusion filters. I use both on most of my mag-ring lights to get a very nice Nichia 219'ish tint with slight diffusion...truly makes a great EDC light with a very useful diffuse beam pattern and better color rendering.

ven

Flashaholic
:welcome: an infinate control ring sounds a good solution so you can dial in exactly the right output. I have the v11r and been issue free ,lowest

Good options on fuel too,from aa/14500 with extension and 123/16340

Not saying best as subjective,but imho a contender............

Love the question by the way,beats the best or highest lumen one and makes a refreshing change :laughing:

Also check the HDS rotary out too:)

Fovea

Newly Enlightened
The same lumens from a wide beam could look a LOT darker on a wider area, and, a LOT brighter on a smaller area, etc.

Do you have a budget number/range?

What lux level do you want on the surfaces you are shining the light onto?

How large a spot do you want the beam to illuminate at one time?

I hadn't really thought about lux levels or width of beam. But I don't need anything too wide, I'd just be using it for a night light or reading at night or looking at something close up without the light being noticeable to others around me (i.e. playing night time war games).

What is your budget for this flashlight ... ?

I would say under $150.