Best price on diodes?

Ashton

Enlightened
I'm looking to build an ellaser (see thread "DX ellie turned into high powered laser") and after testing, my DVD diode is useless (I hooked it upto the power suply and aimed it at a black-headed match at focal length (pinpoint) and after 5 minutes I turned it off, no effect (if anyone really wants to see a video, I can oblige, but it's rather pointless) I've seen flashlights that were brighter... hell the little "button LED" on my keyring is just as bright...)

So... I'm asuming I need a 500ma diode for an ellaser, what's the best price? can I get one with a decent heatsync/lens or am I gonna have to go order and gut some pointers to get the lens and syncs?

erckgillis

Newly Enlightened
Dude,

That laser diode is likely IR. Find the specs from that DVD you disassembeled (destroyed)...

Also make sure it was a high speed DVD-R/W and not ROM. Lower power lasers are used to read DVD. Higher speed (16x) and Re-writeable require higher power.

These are usually mounted with optics and prisims to get at DVD drive from below. So ....carefully.... remove all components and PCB's.

Start at 1.5v at 50ma on you power supply and work up ...SLOWLY...

Do NOT look near or at laser output while hooked up to power. Use a Video camera with CCD and "nite" or low light capailities to see IR laser.

Some vendors, like HP, have part depots and you can get bare diodes & replacements for stocked parts and components...hehe...

Also distributors sell bare diodes from Allied, DigiKey, Mouser and others.

Good luck
E

Ashton

Enlightened
no, I have the right diode, this one _was_ almsot blindingly bright, I just made the mistake of hooking it straight upto 2 AA batteries and it degraded fast. now, at focal point, with a lens, it will *barely* smoke a match.

I have not tired any expariments with the other diode, as it puts out a dim red beam, so I assume it's not IR (is it? if it is, is the IR focused just like the red so I can aim it VIA the red dot and still get full IR power?)

I'll check and see if there's a way to get a replacement diode from a computer company, that sounds like the cheepest solution, thanks!

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Ashton -

I'd guess you "smoked" the red LD. It's hard to believe that the output now is enough to do anything. Are you measuring the current ??

The other diode with the "dim" red beam is probably a near IR diode and you may be able to see a bit of the output BUT it can burn your eyes. From my experimenting with these, keep the current around 200 mA Max. They burn out easily. Wear eye protection.

Mike

Latest posts