Best Replacement Bulbs for 2007 VW Passat 2.0T

MarkIAlbert

My VW goes through bulbs WAYYY too quickly and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions?

When I change the bulbs, I'm always careful not to get anything on the bulb (I always make sure not to even touch the glass part of the bulb), but they still only last for a few months, regardless (it would seem) of what brand I use.

I don't imaging that anyone has yet come up with a clever SST-90 H7 or 9006 bulb (that focuses properly)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Qship1996

If you are really going through bulbs every few months, might want to check output of alternator to be sure voltage is in spec as over-voltage will dramatically shorten the life of any bulb.

-Virgil-

Staff member
Not sure what you mean by "SST-90", but it makes me think you have been buying Sylvania Silver Star bulbs. Also not sure how 9006 enters into the situation, since H7 is the type of bulb your headlamps take and 9006 isn't compatible. "Every few months" is too often, but relatively short bulb life is to be expected; H7 is optimized for high luminance rather than long life, and your VW runs the low beams as daytime running lights. So, your effective bulb life isn't going to be very long. You can get long- or ultralong-life H7 bulbs, but their performance is considerably poorer, which materially reduces your seeing distance at night. You mention trying several different brands of bulb, but keep in mind that no matter what brand, if you're buying so-called "super white" types of bulbs (Sylvania Silver Star, Wagner TruView or LazerBlue, Philips Blue Vision), they aren't going to last -- those types of bulbs are a real swindle; you get less light over a very short lifespan.

It's a good idea to check system voltage, though if you're not losing other bulbs around the car it's less likely that your problem is being caused by high output voltage. I don't recall how the daytime running lights are set up on the Passat, but if they are wired so as to come on whenever the engine is started and the parking brake is released, if you don't use the parking brake they'll come on as soon as the ignition switch is in the "on" position. There's usually a voltage spike when starting or stopping the engine, so if the lights are on during engine start and/or stop, that's going to take a big chunk out of bulb life. If you start using the parking brake, releasing it only after the engine is running, that may gain you an improvement in lifespan.

Headlight bulbs, no matter what brand, are relatively expensive. If you check the electrical system and find no faults, you may want to move the daytime running light function from the headlamps to the front turn signals (turn signal bulbs are much cheaper and you can get super-long-life versions that really do last a good long time). This mod isn't very difficult, but requires a special computer to interface with the vehicle's own computer; see here. The turn signal DRL module is described and available here.

irsa76

I would actually suspect there is a problem with the car, or you are using poor quality bulbs. I've been running my Toyota Rav4 with it's lights on all the time, they come on with the ignition, and after 18months still haven't had an issue with my H7 bulbs in that car. That said, Scheinwerfermann's idea of using the parkbrake and releasing it after you start the engine may help, VW wires the DRLs to come on with parkbrake release. Do not do what some people have done and fiddle the wiring to trick the drls into thinking the parkbrake is always on, it apparently causes problems with the ECU. Personally I would prefer a seperate, dedicated DRL light rather then the reduced power lowbeam, if you desire to delete DRL there is a simple mod but it requires the euro switch, which is better anyway.