Best single 18650 thrower?

Waspy

The best single 18650 thrower is the Lumapower D-Mini ,R2 pill, and the TurboForce head. Nothing else will touch it.

Interesting kengps, that you are so emphatic and no-one is contradicting you, so I'm guessing there must be something in what you say.

Also interesting is the R2 pill which (apparently) out-throws the SST-50 (and others) but is half the lumens.

My local stockist ( ledfiretorches.co.uk ) does not list a D-Mini R2 Turboforce but it does list a Signature Tactical (ST-01 and ST-03) With OP & Turbo-force Heads with a Cree XR-E R2 LED pill.

What is your opinion on that one please?

dsc_0010_3_1.jpg

Last edited:

kengps

You have to buy the "D-Mini VX" flashlight, and add the "Turboforce" head seperately. However Lumapower has recently switched to an XPG-R5 LED on the -VX so you must buy the flashlight directly from Lumapower with a special request for the R2 pill. You can also buy the R2 pill from them seperately. I would reccomend you buy the "D-Mini VX Ultra" (SST-50) and "Turboforce" head from your local dealer, and then get R2 pill from Lumapower. That gives you two lights basically. The pills are interchangeable. The Signature series are good lights, But don't have the throw of the D-Mini Turboforce reflector. The "D-Mini" Turboforce is bigger than the "Signature" Turboforce reflector.

DMini Turboforce
IMG_6724.jpg

Last edited:

kengps

Interesting kengps, that you are so emphatic and no-one is contradicting you, so I'm guessing there must be something in what you say.

Also interesting is the R2 pill which (apparently) out-throws the SST-50 (and others) but is half the lumens.
Thats because I am into throw lights. Have owned, and modded them all. You can see the results in my signature line. I also have one of the good AEMC CA813 Light meters to test them all.

The R2 LED out-throws the SST-50 because it has higher surface brightness than the SST-50. The SST-50 is much bigger, and delivers "More" light, but not "brighter" light.

nutcracker

Lol, every time I see a picture of a d-mini VX with turboforce head like in post #25 it makes me laugh so hard.

It is like a dog with dinosaur head ^^

Waspy

Thats because I am into throw lights. Have owned, and modded them all. You can see the results in my signature line. I also have one of the good AEMC CA813 Light meters to test them all.

The R2 LED out-throws the SST-50 because it has higher surface brightness than the SST-50. The SST-50 is much bigger, and delivers "More" light, but not "brighter" light.

Kengps,

I want to use all the knowledge you have gained to make the best single 18650 thrower.

I can source a D-mini Vx Ultra from one source here and the Turbo-head from another source. However no-one sells the R2 pill. Do you think Lumapower will sell me one? And ship it to the UK?

Also, I have absolutely no clue how to switch pills, is it easy? Do I need tools?

Thanks in advance.

kengps

Lumapower will ship you one. The last one I bought was $24 shipped. I think I heard somebody say recently that LP was selling them for $28 USD shipped. The pill just screws out from the battery tube. No tools needed.

Matt7337

First of all, hello to another UK member! :wave: We seem to be in the minority here :)

Secondly, thanks for pointing out ledfiretorches.co.uk, I had completely forgotten about them. Also keep flashaholics.co.uk in mind, if you didn't know about them already. They have fantastic CS and a great range. I believe they're the UK dealer for all the big names like Fenix, Nitecore etc.

Thirdly, I want to give you a friendly warning about the Dereelight DBS V3. I got one earlier this year and was extremely disappointed with the build quality. The glass used for the window was very cheap, and some of the AR coating was scratched on it. The clip mounting mechanism is rubbish on the DBS as well, and my clip was loose when I got the light. I took it off the same day and it's been off ever since. Finally, somewhere between the V1 (which I own as well) and the V3, Dereelight seem to have lost their ability to machine a good reflector, because the beam pattern of my DBS V3 is really ringy and was a complete disappointment. Changing the reflector to a spare that they sent me didn't change this.

Waspy

Thanks Matt7337 and greetings from Wiltshire,

Yes I have seen (and ordered from) flashaholics.co.uk and very good they are, however they do not carry Lumapower products.

Thanks very much for the warning about the Dereelight DBS V3, I'm sorry you got burned. This torch has been on my shortlist, it is no longer.

Although I have a KD RQ Q5 on its (bloody slow) way, my quest for a quality 1x18650 thrower continues.

Thanks to all posters in this thread, my revised shortlist is now:

Tiablo A9 with possible aspherical
Tiablo A10-G
Jetbeam RRT-1
Solarforce Skyline
Solarforce Masterpiece PRO-1 (head only)

But following kengps's knowledgable input, the current leader is the Lumapower D-mini VX Ultra with optional Turboforce Kit.

There is the option of Luminus SST-50 or Cree XP-G R5 LEDs (which do you prefer kengps?)

Then there is the option of writing to Lumapower for an R2 pill and trying to 'upgrade' it. A bit worrying for me because I have the 'Reverse Midas Touch' i.e everything I touch turns to siht!

Last edited: