Best Small Flashlight

wakesnowb

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am looking for your recommendations as to the best small flashlight I can buy. I would like it to be small, bright, and a decent battery life. Possibly one that runs on 1 D battery with a good LED light bulb? This is primarily for looking under cars with so it needs to be small and bright. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
where are you located?
are you ok with buying online?
what is your budget?
how long is "decent battery life" - an hour? 24 hours?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me thinks: Gonna be hard these days to find a single D cell light. Any other batteries ok?? So, once you respond to cland72's questions, it will help others guide you.

wakesnowb

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I will probably buy online.
Budget is up to $60 or $70, preferably less.
I do not have a criteria for decent battery life so 24 hours sounds good if you think that is decent.
Other types of batteries are ok, just would like to keep the light small and bright.
Thanks!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go to Costco plenty of decent lights for your application in there,you will find it hard to find a single D cell light though.The automotive trade do not go for D cells.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only know of one 1xD light: the Lumintop SD10. It's actually quite a versatile light, and is able to run on 1xD, 3xAA, 1x18650, 1x26650, or 1x32650. As far as size, keep in mind that it can't be any smaller than a D cell. So it's certainly not SC52 small.

wakesnowb

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys have any preference to a 1 - D cell flashlight compared to a 4-AA? What battery configuration do you prefer in a small flashlight?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks StorminMatt! I couldn't remember what light it was. But that is it. Cool light for sure.

wakesnowboard, I prefer 18650 lights or 26650. A regular charger likely won't work. You would need something like a Nitecore I4 or the like to charge the cells. But the 26650 battery is a Lithium Ion cell about the size of a standard D cell. It has crazy run time. A standard D cell is around 1.2 volts, the 26650 is around 3.7. Plenty of lights out there that run one 26650. The 18650 has the same voltage, just smaller in size and capacity.

Just throwing that out there as food for thought.

search up that Lumintop. That is a neat rig. Or search up lights that run on the above mentioned batteries and tell us what you think. 1000's of lights to choose from that run the 18650.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys have any preference to a 1 - D cell flashlight compared to a 4-AA? What battery configuration do you prefer in a small flashlight?

They both have their advantages and disadvantages. 1xD is a simpler setup. And battery changes are easy. Furthermore, you can use an alkaline D cell in a pinch and let it taper for hours of low level lighting. On the other hand, 4xAA has the advantage of higher voltage. Because you are not limited by a boost driver with a single D cell,nthe SD10 only produces around 200 lumens on one D cell. However, output with that same light is MUCH higher with 3xAA or 1xLi-Ion.

wakesnowb

Newly Enlightened
I looked up that 26650 battery and it looks like a pretty badass battery. I like it, however, that involves getting a charger set up for the battery. I saw on Amazon that a lot of lights include the charging gear which is cool. Just not sure what one to go with. The bright and durable ones all look to be $100 dollars. Is there a known small light that uses the 26650 that everyone loves?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, I am looking for your recommendations as to the best small flashlight I can buy. I would like it to be small, bright, and a decent battery life. Possibly one that runs on 1 D battery with a good LED light bulb? This is primarily for looking under cars with so it needs to be small and bright. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

If you are just getting into LED flashlights, I'd skip the lithium ion for the time being and just go with an AA flashlight. Later you can get a 18650 lithium ion setup but I wouldn't bother with the other sizes. I think the only reason someone mentioned the 26650 was because you mentioned the 1-D size. But since you mentioned the 1-D size, that is only 1.5v..........so basically the only difference between a 1D light and a 1AA light is just run time........not brightness. D cells are kind of out dated in the LED flashlight arena..........you won't find many.

A 1AA light will get you up to approx 140 lumens. A 2AA light will get you upwards of 275 lumens and the 4AA lights can get you up over 900 lumens utilizing the XM-L2 LED. Running the light on max on any of those lights will only get you an hour to 2 hours run time so don't count on using the light in the highest mode all the time. And you won't need it for looking under cars. What you will find is that the 75 to 150 lumen range will be adequate for looking under cars and for distances fairly close.

I'd get a couple of different lights. One for the pocket such as the Fenix E12 single AA light and your main work light that is bigger. I'd also get a light that has a plastic case (non-aluminum) or carbon fiber composite body so that it won't scratch as you bump it around and set it on the ground. The Jetbeam PA40 is one such light. It has 4AA's and would be a good fit in my opinion. There are a couple of lights similar to this one. I think Streamlight may make some lights that are plastic bodies. If you go the AA battery route, I'd recommend some Eneloop batteries and a charger. Just start with the kit you can get at Costco that has the batteries plus charger.

There really is lots of choice for you.

slindsay02

Newly Enlightened
A single D cell flashlight seems a bit odd. Have you considered an AAA or AA LED? You will get the light you want without the bulk

wakesnowb

Newly Enlightened
If you are just getting into LED flashlights, I'd skip the lithium ion for the time being and just go with an AA flashlight. Later you can get a 18650 lithium ion setup but I wouldn't bother with the other sizes. I think the only reason someone mentioned the 26650 was because you mentioned the 1-D size. But since you mentioned the 1-D size, that is only 1.5v..........so basically the only difference between a 1D light and a 1AA light is just run time........not brightness. D cells are kind of out dated in the LED flashlight arena..........you won't find many.

A 1AA light will get you up to approx 140 lumens. A 2AA light will get you upwards of 275 lumens and the 4AA lights can get you up over 900 lumens utilizing the XM-L2 LED. Running the light on max on any of those lights will only get you an hour to 2 hours run time so don't count on using the light in the highest mode all the time. And you won't need it for looking under cars. What you will find is that the 75 to 150 lumen range will be adequate for looking under cars and for distances fairly close.

I'd get a couple of different lights. One for the pocket such as the Fenix E12 single AA light and your main work light that is bigger. I'd also get a light that has a plastic case (non-aluminum) or carbon fiber composite body so that it won't scratch as you bump it around and set it on the ground. The Jetbeam PA40 is one such light. It has 4AA's and would be a good fit in my opinion. There are a couple of lights similar to this one. I think Streamlight may make some lights that are plastic bodies. If you go the AA battery route, I'd recommend some Eneloop batteries and a charger. Just start with the kit you can get at Costco that has the batteries plus charger.

There really is lots of choice for you.

Thank you for the great input. The Jetbeam PA40 is a rather nice light. This is the one I am currently leaning towards. Looks like a rugged light with a strong beam. I was also looking at the Coast HP7 that Costco is selling but the PA40 looks like a bit better light. Coast also makes the Polysteel 600 that looks cool. This is a light for my dad for Christmas so I think the idea of a 4XAA setup is pretty good since he could use the rechargeable AA with it as well if he wants to go rechargeable.

incd

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Take a look on a new Thrunite 4A, small & decent price.

wakesnowb

Newly Enlightened
The below search tool may be of assistance to you.

http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index.html

Wow that website is amazing! Thank you for sharing the link. I have looked at most of the 4 x AA lights on there and leaning towards the Jetbeam PA40 still. It has the XM-L T6 and I prefer the newer XM-L2 however the T6 should be fine and might be floodier which would be good for working in the garage and under cars (but who knows, might use it in the backyard also etc..) Anyhow the plastic body of the Jetbeam PA40 is appealing to be able to throw it around and not worry about it. The Fenix LD41 seems like a good choice also but even though it has the XM-L2, I think I am leaning for towards the Jetbeam with lower lum because of the plastic body. Just my current thoughts. I need to finalize this decision and find a good place to order soon so it arrives before Christmas.

wakesnowb

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know the best place to buy the Jetbeam PA40? I don't recognize any of the places I found on the web. Thanks.

The PA40 also looks to be the same light as the TerraLux Colorado. Cool light but the grey with black head is not so appealing.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's also the Jetbeam SRA40. This one has a little more kick than the PA40, and uses the newer XM-L2 emitter. It is, however, a more stubby light like the Nitecore EA41 and Sunwayman D40A. It does feature onboard charging, which may or may not be a good thing. And, as far as I know, it has an aluminum body, which may not be good for heavy use.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

:welcome:

I recommend this light a lot especially people new to the forums. Its solid its $63.00 and its reliable with decent runtime.

Surefire G2X Pro runs on 2 x CR123 cells. 320 Lumen High - 2.5 Hrs / 15 Lumen Low - 45Hrs

CR123 batteries must be respected.

Buy made in the USA cells only, don't mix and match used and new cells, different brand, or different batch, keep them dry. They have excellent shelf life and don't leak.

wakesnowb

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

I recommend this light a lot especially people new to the forums. Its solid its $63.00 and its reliable with decent runtime.

Surefire G2X Pro runs on 2 x CR123 cells. 320 Lumen High - 2.5 Hrs / 15 Lumen Low - 45Hrs

CR123 batteries must be respected.

Buy made in the USA cells only, don't mix and match used and new cells, different brand, or different batch, keep them dry. They have excellent shelf life and don't leak.

This G2X Pro looks like a great light. Maybe I should go with that one instead of the PA40 since it is smaller. Uses different type of batteries but I dont think that is a big deal. Any thoughts on where I should purchase? I live in California and need it to arrive in time for Christmas. Thank you.