Best small light for cheap?

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
Long time flashlight fiend but only recently started following through with anything. I love these forums though. I'm trying to find the smallest possible RCR123 3.7V light with decent brightness for a pocket light. If i had $70 to spend i'd get that Fenix P1DCE. But i'm willing to deal with a less powerful and less sturdy light, even an off brand, for the savings right now.

Anyone ever used this one from ledshoppe for $15? 7cm and 60 lumens (i assume some exageration in that lumen rating)

Or the BENO from kaidomain for $17. Doesn't actually say how long it is in small mode but estimates 55 lumen. Anyone know the length? If it's less than 7cm this seems perfect.

The only other one i can find is the DAVIDA from kai. Only 27 lumen but also only $7.

Essentially i'm asking if there is a 'best' mini light (7cm or less) that uses rcr123 3.7V, is as bright as possible and is under $20. And i'm in Canada so that also complicates availability if it isn't from one of those hongkong stores.

Any thoughts appreciated

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $15 shipped they (LED Shoppe) have an MXDL 3 Watt which uses 3 AAA batteries, right now LED shoppe is not opening for me so I cannot show you a link or see yours.

I picked one up and my sister liked it so I gave it to her. She loves it, has had it for about 6 months now and uses it every night when going in on the midnight shift at work.

Not a bad looking light for the price either.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
For only a few bucks more ($20) at target you can pick up an Inova X1, and that is my current EDC. It is a little tank, and throws plenty of light for every day uses. For just a few more than that you can get an Inova X5, and that is an excellant light also, one of the very best close floody lights (in my opinion).

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Davida is the same light as the one at the ledshoppe. I have one, it's pretty crappy. I bought it to mod but thought not worth it. Kaidomain's lumen reading of 27 is fairly accurate for it.

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
For $15 shipped they (LED Shoppe) have an MXDL 3 Watt which uses 3 AAA batteries, right now LED shoppe is not opening for me so I cannot show you a link or see yours.

I picked one up and my sister liked it so I gave it to her. She loves it, has had it for about 6 months now and uses it every night when going in on the midnight shift at work.

Not a bad looking light for the price either.

That does look decent. But i'm looking for as short as possible for portability. This one and the one from target take AAA so they'll be much longer.

I also found this one. SANNI 3W Ultrafire. 7cm long (the grey version specifies 7cm). Just no description of brightness. :-( Kaidomain lists a SANNI 1W that looks the same. I guess this is the confusion i get in buying cheap ones instead of brand name.

stoven

Newly Enlightened
Just buy a cheap Cree or Seoul P4 light from www.dealextreme.com. They have a single AA Cree light for $13.39. They also have a 2 power level Cree that runs off of a 14500 Li Ion (same size as AA battery) for $18.70. They claim to have an output of 90 lumens on high.

Steve

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
One light that is inexpensive, bright, clicky, great tint and can use 3.7v RCRs is a Dorcy Super 1 Watt. It is designed for 3v but I have used 3.7v RCRs in it. It does get warm - I did not run it for more than 10 min., usually 5 min or less. It is a very good light on 3v, and even brighter on 3.7v. I have protected 3.7s and they seem to shut off sooner on this light, probably because of the heat, than on other lights that run cooler on 3.7v. Because of the heat I use 3.0v RCRs in it, they can be had from MattK at BatteryJunction. The Dorcy was $20 at Sears, Sears Online and possibly Target, and at one point was on sale for $15 or $18.

One great light that can be had for ~$30 that runs great on 3.7v and is very durable, has a good clicky and good brightness is the Pelican M1, either the new style [endcap clicky] or old style [body clicky]. It does not increase in brightness much with the 3.7v cells due to the regulation circuit handling the extra voltage well and doesn't get warmer with them than 3.0v cells. I have the old style and love it.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The Dorcy that LED_Thrift mentioned doesn't suck. Mine has a pleasing tint, but isn't quite as bright as I thought it should be.

I don't have any 3.7RCRs, only 3.0. But I'd possibly be EDCing my Dorcy were it not for my Fenix P1 (a simple LUXIII single level P1).

Those (and a Streamlight Twin Task 1L) are my only single 123 lights...

And of the three, the Fenix STOMPS on the other two!

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
stoven said:
Just buy a cheap Cree or Seoul P4 light from www.dealextreme.com. They have a single AA Cree light for $13.39. They also have a 2 power level Cree that runs off of a 14500 Li Ion (same size as AA battery) for $18.70. They claim to have an output of 90 lumens on high.

Steve

If they can sell a 3w Cree 14500 light for $18 with an output of 70-90 lumens, why can they not make the exact same thing for an RCR123 at the same price. It would just have a shorter barrel making it more compact and wouldn't last quite as long. Or is there something else that prevents this type of construction?

Just curious.