Best source for LED lightbulbs?

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Colors of most objects look fine under this bulb.
Try a red rose with green leaves. Then compare to incandescent. I think the difference will be clear. Or skin tones (assuming you are of European ethnicity). Skin tones look rather greyish under LED.

Use a standard medium base 750 hour bulb or an energy saving halogen. Do not use a "rough service" bulb or any other shape for this comparison, as the color temperature will likely be much lower than normal. And do the comparison at night, because a little ambient daylight sneaking in the house can really skew the results.

LED light has a different spectrum of frequencies, so certain colors may look a little different (reds, bluish-greens, certain bluish-purple/violet colors). If you are concerned about the red colors and appearance of skin tones, you can at least get the LED down lighting that has a CRI above 90, since these are enhanced with additional red frequency.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Try a red rose with green leaves. Then compare to incandescent. I think the difference will be clear. Or skin tones (assuming you are of European ethnicity). Skin tones look rather greyish under LED.

Use a standard medium base 750 hour bulb or an energy saving halogen. Do not a "rough service" bulb or any other shape, as the color temperature will likely be much lower than normal. And do the comparison at night, because a little ambient daylight sneaking in the house can really skew the results.

Sitting here under a bunch of warm white LEDS (1 Cree, 1 Philips, 1 LG --- don't ask) .... and my skin tones actually don't look too bad at all. I certainly don't look grey. No roses though and I agree deep reds would likely be off.

Semiman

raptechnician

Newly Enlightened
Phillips 6W 300 lumen gen 2 LED bulb.

dscn0488p.jpg

dscn0503cv.jpg

dscn0493e.jpg

dscn0492th.jpg

...bought at Home Depot. $$

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phillips 6W 300 lumen gen 2 LED bulb.

That's close to the size bulb I've been looking to replace R14 bulbs in some of my furniture. I don't recall seeing it around here. Do you have the product number from the back of the package?

carnal

Newly Enlightened
I found it!
Interesting, Canada Home Depot gets different choices.
it is model PHILIPS 6W LED GU10 Indoor Flood

Model: 420646 SKU: 1000744311 Their price is $27

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/6w-led-gu10-indoor-flood/812283

They get the soft egg yolk light also...
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/4w-led-a19-household/952871

A variant of this one. Naked egg yolk--Cool streamlined shape. Wish I could post the photo...
http://www.moebelmarkt-shop.de/led-...7w-designer-e27-2700k-230v-dimmbar/a-1023992/

I WANT one!

And Paul, what are you hanging over in your profile photo? I LOVE it!
Brian

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need the medium screw base version pictured, not GU10. My avatar comes from the fifth element movie, check it out and you'll understand. Thanks for your post!

wws944

Enlightened
Phillips 6W 300 lumen gen 2 LED bulb....bought at Home Depot. $$

I have six of the GU10 version of these in the track light over my dining room table. They easily replaced the 50w halogens in brightness, and dim really well. My only compaint is that occasionally they will randomly flicker a bit. Usually a slight movement of the dimmer setting will work around the problem. Another work-around is to reinstall one of the halogen bulbs. Folks without dimmers won't see the problem.

Some notes here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?327481-GU10-LED-recommendation&highlight=gu10

Latest posts