Best/strongest Spotlight bang for the buck

kevin2

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a strong spotlight for shinning deer in fields. We used to do it as a kid with parents friends and families, was a lot of fun in the summer, and then I did it with my own kids when they were young. Mostly need it to be strong and reach out far. Seems like they used to be rated by candlelight power, not sure now what is super powerful. My local sporting goods store only had them to 4000 lumens, which seemed whimpy to me, but not sure.

fulee9999

Enlightened
4000 lumens is 10 times the amount of a light of a bulb in your house, also currently ( and usually ) an unsustainable output for handheld LED lights.
also lumens does not define throw, that would be lux or candela. 1 lux 1m away is 1 candela. flashlights used for hunting are usually somewhere around 55.000-72.000 candela with around 700-1200 lumens, and they light up objects 100 to 400 yards/meters.

what's your budget for the light? also, you want something that illuminates things in the distance, correct?

kevin2

Newly Enlightened
I don't want to spend a mint, I've seen some very powerful spots at $300-650.00 that might be a bit more then I want to spend. Perhaps $100-200? This will be spotting deer from a good long ways away, 300-1000 yards.

Saw the ThruNite TN42, nice BUT a bit much at $300. Found it on ebay for $175, not sure it is legit. Is this a pretty good light? Seems a bit old though?

Last edited:

fulee9999

Enlightened
I don't want to spend a mint, I've seen some very powerful spots at $300-650.00 that might be a bit more then I want to spend. Perhaps $100-200? This will be spotting deer from a good long ways away, 300-1000 yards.

Saw the ThruNite TN42, nice BUT a bit much at $300. Found it on ebay for $175, not sure it is legit. Is this a pretty good light? Seems a bit old though?

for short bursts that's not a bad choice, but what will be your average usage? light up the field, look around, turn it off? because all these superthrowers are actually pretty fun and great at for short bursts but they ramp down really quickly and get uncomfortable to the touch fast

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
check out the line of Convoy lights. Several to choose from. Very reasonable lights in your price range. Built very solid. Fairly popular. I have a few myself. Also look over on budgetlightforums. Really good info over there on lights that won't break the bank. U can also surf the for sale threads. I'd maybe check out the Convoy L6 or L7,lights. Here's a review of a few models. https://1lumen.com/review/convoy-l7/

This is a good place to start. Just too many to choose from. Only budget determines what you and afford. The most expensive aren't always the best. Mist of mine are under $300 or less. Hope this helps.

fulee9999

Enlightened
any other suggestions?

if you need sustained output, you can go with a Malkoff Hound Dog Super:
( $226 with the 20% first purchase coupon )

Or with the Modlite PLHv2 ( $309 ):

Everything else with a stable high output will be in the thousand dollar or more range as you previously mentioned.

If you don't need continous output, just for a few seconds, then Convoy, Klarus, Acebeam, Lumintop, Sofirn, Manker and so on make great throwers, you might even want to look at LEPs, those can throw a mile or two comfortably. Only caveat is that they will be in the 200-300 dollaridoo range as well.

kevin2

Newly Enlightened
if you need sustained output, you can go with a Malkoff Hound Dog Super:
( $226 with the 20% first purchase coupon )

Or with the Modlite PLHv2 ( $309 ):

Everything else with a stable high output will be in the thousand dollar or more range as you previously mentioned.

If you don't need continous output, just for a few seconds, then Convoy, Klarus, Acebeam, Lumintop, Sofirn, Manker and so on make great throwers, you might even want to look at LEPs, those can throw a mile or two comfortably. Only caveat is that they will be in the 200-300 dollaridoo range as well.
Thanks

hsa

Enlightened
If you don't mind the size and a conventional pistol grip spotlight them a Streamlight Waypoint 300 will serve you well.
Advertized 1000 meters of throw with only a thousand lumens it has good run time. About 700 meters on medium will give you hours of run time.
I have seen hundreds of sets of eyeshine with it. I have probably seen a thousand with a Nitecore P30 because it is easy to carry but doesn't go quite as far.

Magio

Enlightened
Firefoxes FF5. 10k lumens and probably about the smallest light that can actually sustain it for a significant period of time. Or try something like the BLF GT94 or the Astrolux MF05 but those lights are pretty big.

brachypelma44

Newly Enlightened
How has the thread gone this long without anyone mentioning the Noctigon K1?

It's basically what you're describing, and it's in the price range you specified, even with the most expensive emitter.

fire-stick

Enlightened
They sell hid spotlights on ebay with 9 inch reflectors for $90.
They run off 12v so maybe an external SLA battery...
I'd imagine they aren't "1000 watts" prob 35 watts at least?
Even a 35 watt hid spotlight with a 4" or 5" reflector will do 225,000 lux.