Best Trips For Flashoholics?

a4d

Enlightened
I remember my college had something setup to go to that on halloween, but i was WAY to buisy. I was only here in ohio for about 2 weeks and was still to buisy getting settled in my apartment. Maybe i'll grab a freind this spring or summer and drag him along. I should have enough lights to get us through. Well if i need a big light there is always the 10 MCP light. Hopefully by then my collection of smaller lights will have grown.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Ah, yes, please do report back.

We'd love to hear about it.

:wave:

_

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of great places to go camping, if you like that. Always need lights for that.

Caving is great for using lights, but many caves take some commitment - it's not as easy as hiking in the dark. It does open up a whole new way of exploring the earth, though, and can be very interesting.

rodmeister

Enlightened
I took a Caribbean Cruise on Princess that stopped at Bardados. I took a tram ride through Harrison's Caves. My E2 with a new L2 LED head came in handy for looking at underground features that weren't well lit. When the tram lost power and stranded us for a half hour, the light was a comfort.

Any cave would be a great flashlight trip.

clg0159

Enlightened
IMO you should find out what public land you pay taxes for at the BLM website and plan a truly secluded camping trip. Or go trek through the rockies from one side to the other. The tourists don't make it more than ~5 miles in so you can get into some good flashlight territory for the night!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
How about that old, abandoned building in Ohio ?

Believe it had been a prison, or perhaps a hospital.

They were allowing visitors to tour the place AT NIGHT !

There were even some reports of ghostly encounters. :drool:

I saw it discussed here on CPF, but alas, can't seem to find it now. ( sigh )

:candle:

_

Somewhere I have the contact info for a guy who runs tours there. I'll see if I can dig it up.

a4d

Enlightened
Somewhere I have the contact info for a guy who runs tours there. I'll see if I can dig it up.

That would be great.:party:

Also anyone know of any good places to go camping near north east Ohio. I'm staying in Parma while at school, (right near Cleveland)?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howe Caverns in New York state. You take an elevator down 156 feet into the caverns, then are led on a guided tour of the caverns. Awesome.

There is lighting, but bring your flashlights and aim them where the dim lights won't reach.

mspeterson

Enlightened
That would be great.:party:

Also anyone know of any good places to go camping near north east Ohio. I'm staying in Parma while at school, (right near Cleveland)?

Within about 1 hour drive, give or take, I've been camping at:

Mohican State Park
Findley S.P.
West Branch S.P.
Portage Lakes S.P.
Punderson S.P.
Mosquito Lake S.P.
Pymatuming S.P.

My favorites are Findley and West Branch, as long as they aren't too packed...which they often are in the summer. For more local hiking areas, try the MetroParks system, AKA Clevelands Emerald Necklace....lots of great bike trails as well. North Chagrin Reservation and Brecksville Reservation are my personal favorites, but there are several closer to parma.

As far as great places for flashlights, I had a great time caving at Laurel Caverns in South Western PA. Lots of great places to camp, white water rafting/cayaking, and Fallingwater for you house nuts, not to mention a deep and very dark hole!!! No lighting in the lower areas, so backup flashlights are required!
http://www.laurelcaverns.com/caving.htm

Spelunking in Jewel Cavern wasn't too shabby either, and my next trip will to Carslbad....

NextLight

Enlightened
Anywhere in the Arctic or Antarctic circles, during their respective Winters should allow adequate opportunity to utilize your flashlight and battery collections.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about King's Canyon or Sequoia National parks. All those tall redwood trees can make it pretty dark at night. Maybe Jennie Lakes Wilderness. It's between the two parks, is more secluded, and has few if any rules. Campfires are allowed there for backpackers. I don't think you even need a permit there to hike or go backpacking.
Another good place would be the wind caves in South Dakota. Flashlights are needed in them as any light source with a flame will blow out.