Best Urban Light

I

ibisman

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a quality urban light for my wife and son as well as myself.
Been looking at the Klarus XT11 and the EagleTac D25C2.
I like the fact that the Klarus can use rechargeable batteries as well as CR123's.
Your thoughts?

Thanks

T

TheVat26

Enlightened
The XT11 is one of the most, if not the highest regarded tactical light (turnkey) around for the past couple years. Every site that sells a lot of them has user reviews raving about its performance. Myself, I love Klarus products, especially the XT series. I have the XT2C 470 and 580 version, XT2A, RS11, and the glorious XT11 820 version. A quick search can pull up tons of accounts regarding ease of use, durability, and performance.

I feel like the D25C2 seems to complicated for a novice user. Most care little to none of hidden modes, twisting heads, and programming some lights have now. I would go for the XT11 and XT2C. Both take cr123 (long shelf life, good for emergenices) and 18650's (long runtimes, money saver if used regularly).

You may have some chime in on the importance of low on first, and dire need of moonlight levels. Favor mode memory, etc. I don't have any problem with the 4-10 lumen lows "destroying" my night vision. Many do not prefer the tactical interfaces of high always the first activation, and its understandable as the edc function is usually filled nicely by sub 100 lumen levels. I need high at first activation, on and off duty. Always need to be at the ready to ID whatever is around. If a lower output is needed for upclose jobs, then I simply place the bezel against my leg, click on, then press the mode switch to medium or low. That way the blast of high wont make me see spots at close range.

You need to determine what your and your family's use will be. If its for their situational awareness in dark parking lots, then they will want as much light as possible right now. If its for power outages, then a tactical interface isn't so much an issue. I beyond pleased with the XT interface because it is perfect for tactical use, yet simple enough as an emergency or close task light (cover bezel with shirt or pants, click on, then press the mode switch with same thumb once or twice).

I prefer to error on the side of caution, or say rather have more and downscale versus have less and not be able to upscale. It's too time consuming to make a mode memory or low first light work for tactical use. Great example is the Fenix PD35. Has a fantastic 850 lumen burst mode that would serve for tactical use, but you left it on low for some upclose work, and because of mode memory, it stayed on low. Now you're walking around and hear some rustling going on around you. Get an uneasy, nervous feeling snd pull out thr light. You're not going to remember you left it on low and can't see what's going on. You think your battery might be dead, click it a bunch of times with the same result. Maybe you do see a dim output and try to cycle to a brighter setting, find the setting that gives you the light you need. How much time did that take? Could be fast, could be slow. Do you know how you or your family will react if faced with this scenario? Probably not.

Anyway, it's easier for a tactical light to switch roles to a general purpose light if needed. That is truly MY opinion and if this rant helps then great. In short, the XT11 and XT2C are sized well and perform when and how you need them to.

Poppy

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
regarding the EagleTac D25C2, I would get the slightly larger D25LC2 which could take a single 18650, or 2 CR123s. I prefer the single 18650 because I distrust CR123s in series.

At a much lower cost you might consider the Convoy S2 series of lights which are about the same size as the Eagletac

R

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll +1 on Poppy's recommendation of the D25LC2 over the C2 if you want to run rechargeables, and would also suggest looking at the Foursevens Quark QP2L-X Burst mode light. Both are significantly smaller than the XT11 (more likely EDC carry), have a tight bezel "tactical" mode giving you immediate access to max and strobe, will be floodier which is better for general purposes use, and are current regulated (I don't like PWM for visual and efficiency reasons). I personally prefer the Quarks for their great low modes (easier on the eyes, esp indoors, longer runtimes), US style warranty, HQ and CS location but the downside is that 18650 cells don't fit, you need to use smaller 17670s. I think the XT11 makes the better tactical light though.

R

rje58

Enlightened
The D25LC2 is one of my favorite lights as well.