Better than Modamag's Draco?

mailint

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know lights that compare in brightness and size (ignoring runtime, weight, cost, etc...) with the Modamag's Draco?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lummi Wee, maybe.
Dont think so, the Draco sports a Flupic with level adjustments and drives the Cree hard..The Wee is cute and small but lacks brightness in IMHO... Mailint stop asking so many questions and just get a Draco...It will put a smile on your face for a long time

Last edited:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a Raw TI or NS Close in size, 2 stage. You won't regret either the Draco or Raw (or Wee for that matter).

I have a new Raw NS, it is 160lum for 25 mins and 10 hours on low (15L). But I will be getting a Draco as well.

Last edited:

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
Dont think so, the Draco sports a Flupic with level adjustments and drives the Cree hard..The Wee is cute and small but lacks brightness in IMHO... Mailint stop asking so many questions and just get a Draco...It will put a smile on your face for a long time

Yea, get the Draco. I have a AlTiN Draco with a Q5 Cree and nothing else compares.

Story - I went to get my car smogged. It was broad daylight. We were in the mechanics garage with the garage door open, and he took out the 3D maglite out to check the smog connections under the hood. I was behind him and turned on my Draco (burst) to help him. He turned around 5 times to look at my hand and finally said, man that little light is really bright! I said, "yea, its bright". I know it took alot for a guy like that to say something, but, mechanics like really cool tools. :twothumbs

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing compares, I have (2)

105986935-M.jpg

Sandwich Shoppe normally has them "in-stock".
123584856-M.jpg

131198062-M.jpg

Last edited:

mailint

Newly Enlightened

Cuso, the problem is that cpf totally lacks of direct comparisons of the Draco with other sub CR123 size category lights.
Furthermore, the numbers said about the Draco are confuse. Modamag says that he put out 160 lumens out of the front (the Drake 100 lumens), when another person talked about 110 real lumens.

I don't want to spend $200 just to discover that another flashlight of the same class is better. Even because Modamag (absurdly imo) prohibits to re-sell the draco within 6 months from the purchase.

Why is it so difficult to see comparisons of Raw, Wee, Mule, PD-S, Exolion and Draco? why there are persons who are still not convinced that Draco has the highest total output in the sub CR123 size class?

Last edited:

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
Cuso, the problem is that cpf totally lacks of direct comparisons of the Draco with other sub CR123 size category lights.
Furthermore, the numbers said about the Draco are confuse. Modamag says that he put out 160 lumens out of the front (the Drake 100 lumens), when another person talked about 110 real lumens.

I don't want to spend $200 just to discover that another flashlight of the same class is better. Even because Modamag (absurdly imo) prohibits to re-sell the draco within 6 months from the purchase.

Why is it so difficult to see comparisons of Raw, Wee, Mule, PD-S, Exolion and Draco? why there are persons who are still not convinced that Draco has the highest total output in the sub CR123 size class?

Don't worry, the Draco is easily upgradable. In 8 months, you can buy an S - bin Cree Xre LED, install it in the Draco, or have it installed, and the 180 lumens output will almost double. The key is that the Draco is a 3.7 volt light. This voltage will allow it to push new Cree LEDs hard for years to come. :twothumbs

In addition, the flupic programmability - 10 levels, makes the Light alot more versatile than anything else its size. Depending on the situation, you can turn the light into the right tool for the job. Add the AAA lithium option for runtime, and you get even more flexibility.

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
hy is it so difficult to see comparisons of Raw, Wee, Mule, PD-S, Exolion and Draco? why there are persons who are still not convinced that Draco has the highest total output in the sub CR123 size class

I have had a Raw, have a Mule (all flood), PD-S, had an Exolion and have all iterations of Draco.

I don't have beamshot comparisons, but in my opinion and with my old eyes, Draco appears brighter that all: I just did a white wall comparison with a Draco (much used battery) and a McLux PD and the Draco is at least as bright to my eyes. Draco (chrome) has been on my key chain for nearly a year and still looks as new.
105987015-M.jpg

Many have had for more than 6 mos, have only seen one for sale.........Sandwich Shoppe http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=43_88&osCsid=719fa99aa9eec7264ca41a104639c77c
carries Aitn (not LightHound.........sorry)

jeffb

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
no clue if it's better than draco, but without getting into hand made Larry lights.

IMHO one of the best tiny light you can actually purchase is a Miller Mods ARC AAA two stage Cree mod.

everyone is taking about brightness.... but what about runtime? what kind of cell does it use?

there's no such thing as a free lunch! burn bright... burn short
there's only so much current available in a tiny cell. it's just as much how you use that current as how bright light is.

form factor is really important on tiny lights. ARC AAA is of course one of the best ever. combining a cree with ARC AAA's super coool form factor. I ordered my miller mod with the lower output option. still plenty bright and loong runtimes using std AAA alk cells.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cy is absolutely correct............"better" in what way? I like the brightness for such a tiny light, the multiple levels, rechargeable and extreme durability. I really don't use the brightest, often, however, I really like having it when I need it.

There may be a better light (key chain category) in someone else's opinion..........not in mine!

I rotate the Draco with cree and longer body (lanyard attached) as a pocket carry light, because I like it so much.

jeffb

mailint

Newly Enlightened
I have had a Raw, have a Mule (all flood), PD-S, had an Exolion and have all iterations of Draco.

I don't have beamshot comparisons, but in my opinion and with my old eyes, Draco appears brighter that all

Great! This is what I needed to read. THANKSSS JEFFB!

IMHO one of the best tiny light you can actually purchase is a Miller Mods ARC AAA two stage Cree mod.

do you mean that used in the comparison at http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144766?

On the left: Draco. On the right: Arc AAA.
7arcaaalt6.jpg

"two stage Cree mod": how much is the difference?

"The ARC AAA-P is more comparable to the Draco in diameter, but is whole lot longer (and not nearly as bright). I replaced the AAA-P with a Draco on my keychain."

everyone is taking about brightness.... but what about runtime?

I don't need runtime of many minutes and, anyway, since the Draco has 10 levels of brightness I think that it can have runtimes similar to all the "competitors" at brightness parity.

I ordered my miller mod with the lower output option. still plenty bright and loong runtimes using std AAA alk cells.

Did you follow the "stop asking so many questions and just get a Arc AAA!" strategy or you got informed about the Draco and the other alternatives before the choice?

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to figure out if CR2 lights are too big for your purposes. For a keychain they were too big for me and that eliminated most of your list. AAA was to long, which at the time left only the Raw NS/TI. Now you can get the Wee, but you've already said you didn't like it.

So your options if CR2 and AAA are out are the Raw NS and the Draco. I've had both and like the Draco better mainly due to it's smaller size and Flupic. I like the NS alot though too.

Personally I like the ti finishes on the Draco alot more than the chrome and am perfectly happy with spending the extra money for that upgrade.

FWIW the NS is noticably heavier than the Draco and it bugged me in my pocket. The Raw ti might be nicer in that respect.

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did do some beam shots before I switched both Draco's to upgraded Cree.

Note that you cannot use the Turbo Head with Crees.

The Cree's are much brighter than my review.

Click Here

For me, materials used, circuit and regulation, build quality, size, twist or click and other factors are important to consider for light purchase and THEN, what purpose it will serve.

Just my 2 cents worth and not worth that :D

jeffb

mailint

Newly Enlightened
I did do some beam shots before I switched both Draco's to upgraded Cree.

Note that you cannot use the Turbo Head with Crees.

The Cree's are much brighter than my review.

Click Here

Very beautiful. Thanks! it's a pity that they're not done with the new Cree version..
A question: how does compare the "normal" head Cree XR-E Q5 with the "turbo" head Seoul P4 (the two current best options, right?)?
and does the AAA Li-Ion battery (called 10440 if I remember well) add brightness?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

I beleive the only way your gonna find out if a light is suitable for your needs( if there is any) is by actually getting it. People have theyr own favorite lights and tastes. The light variety in this place is huge and putting one light against another just to c which one comes out the top, is gonna get you nowhere. Ive been reading some of your post and I find them amusing , specially what you did in the custom builders section. I've seen people give you some very good advice on what to buy.. Light-wise and battery-wise. You even managed to alienate some of them in the process. Trust me there is no "perfect" light, you do what everybody here does, buy the thing.. and if you dont like it there is always the B/S/T section. Now this is my opinion and I could be wrong.... take care :wave:

cy

Flashaholic
again... better depends upon what criteria you chose.

for me... don't like electronic interface like fluidpic. much prefer mechanical interface like PD and two stage miller mod ARC AAA. different strokes for different folks.. is one better? depends on who you ask.

comparisons posted for stock ARC AAA has Zero bearing on two stage Cree mod, output approaches any other Cree mod driven at similar current levels.

Miller mods ARC AAA uses std alk AAA cells vs fluidpic is dependant upon li-ion. again depends upon criteria...

both lights when driven in low have long run times. so that's a toss.

form factor again is personal choice. ARC AAA's form factor has set the bar for many years.

TNC N cell was the original Ncell light (notice any resemblance?) drove that with a N sized li-ion cell many years back. one of my favorite lights! wish I had #002 back.

note I never claimed one was better than other. just stated another option...

didn't order draco because I've already got a Li14430/CR2 :D

tnc 002.JPG

Great! This is what I needed to read. THANKSSS JEFFB!

do you mean that used in the comparison at http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144766?

On the left: Draco. On the right: Arc AAA.

"two stage Cree mod": how much is the difference?

"The ARC AAA-P is more comparable to the Draco in diameter, but is whole lot longer (and not nearly as bright). I replaced the AAA-P with a Draco on my keychain."

I don't need runtime of many minutes and, anyway, since the Draco has 10 levels of brightness I think that it can have runtimes similar to all the "competitors" at brightness parity.

Did you follow the "stop asking so many questions and just get a Arc AAA!" strategy or you got informed about the Draco and the other alternatives before the choice?

Last edited: