Beware the new USPS self service machine

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Post Office just got them and being fond of gadgets, I volunteered to tbe the very first user.
I had one of the small Priority Mail boxes with the pre-printed Click-n-ship address label and all I needed was to actually pay for the postage.
The touch screen transaction went without a hitch but instead of printing out a standard 1-1/4" tall postage meter label, it printed out a full 6"x5" sticker.
I was literally the first user and I had a postal employee right by my side observing everything.

Remember this was one of the small Priority boxes.
"How am I supposed to stick that on this?"
She had no idea herself.
She had to go in and ask one of the counterpersons.
And then they both had to ask the Postmaster.
The postage part at the top of the sticker is standard but then a bar code is printed out at the bottom.

"Can I just cut off the postage mark and put that in the postage section of the Click-n-ship label?"
No.
"Can I put the sticker upside-down so that the postage mark is in the normal place but the bar code wraps around to the back?"
No, that would confuse the machines.

They ended up crediting my money and reprinting a standard Postage label at the counter.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the new UPS self service station. It said my parent's address was not listed (it is valid with a street number) and that delivery might cost extra but it didn't.