Big Blades (That's a knife!)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That cavalry sabre I showed in my oping post is about 2 pounds at a blade length of 34", so that machete would indeed be "a beast" to say the least. My guess is that its probably closer to 700g (1.5 pounds).
I think the cavalry used to call those things "wrist breakers" and seldom actually used them, relying on their Spencer carbines and Colt's revolvers instead.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the cavalry used to call those things "wrist breakers" and seldom actually used them, relying on their Spencer carbines and Colt's revolvers instead.
Absolutely. The US cavalry diddn't often use their sabres from horseback, despite that, they were still designed as proper cavalry sabres & as such weren't well balanced for use on foot.

Cavalry swords tend to be longer, weightier & more forward balanced compared to infantry swords. Often infantry sabers weigh about 7-800g with a blade length of 30-34" & a POB under or around 5". (Heavy) Cavalry sabres often weigh about 900g to over a kilo with blades at or over 34" & POBs out to 8". Additional reach is important on horseback but makes one handed swords more unwieldy on foot.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today Ive put down a order at Kailash blades in Nepal for one of their Mutity Kukris. It'll probably take a couple months until I have it in hand & will keep you guys updated.
Im not planning to do any serious chopping with this, the plan was to simply add a historical Nepalese Kukri to my collection. Really no idea what to expect in terms of balance & handling since its gonna be my first Kukri. Very excited!

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on options ordered, and if I was located on your side of the globe, I can see owning a few for users. M43 Martial is interesting 👍

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
They make some very tough options, even with full tangs like the M43 you mentioned. I was specifically looking for something more traditional, tough its still a full length tang which is peened instead of a partial tang. I see that as a good compromise.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blackie Collins
12 inch including ricasso

Attachments

• 89C092F6-B68A-4B46-A155-DD2D8EDEF561.jpeg
    89C092F6-B68A-4B46-A155-DD2D8EDEF561.jpeg
    678.4 KB · Views: 100

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
Blackie Collins
12 inch including ricasso
For many years in the 80's and early 90's a 12" machete (mine didn't have the handguard) was my "survival knife". I carried it in a Brigade Quartermasters Jump Sheath (there's a blast from the past) with a small file, a match safe full of weatherized strike anywhere matches and a small lock blade knife. I ended up gifting this outfit to a good friend of mine who was moving to Alaska and would probably get more use out of it than I did - for the last 4-5 years of owning it the kit rode in the trunk of my car. I never got around to replacing it, although it's a great choice!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Truly a great choice! The hand guard can hurt when grip is reduced and the base joint of the little finger gets squished.

How many hours were spent scrutinizing Brigade Quartermasters catalogs? So many.

Before each Christmas, 13 year old son and I split lighter pine (we called it fat pine growing up in the south) for friend and family gifts. I use this blade, slamming (batoning) it with a suitable cut branch.

Removing thin branches near a tree trunk is what this tool gets used for mostly.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the third world process..
Maybe the knife maker while swinging that sledgehammer was wearing sandals, and slipped.. Oops, that could cause a slight delay

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering its Nepal, Id bet on barefoot actually, haha. But at least no one can say its not historically accurate.
I believe they said in their email the delays had to do with workshop shutdowns due to renovations & upgrading some equipment.
They're supposed to be among the best, with a very good reputation, so I dont worry about it.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my shipping information + a couple more pictures from Kailash of the finished knife. I have to say, just judging by the pictures, the blade is exactly what I wanted it to be. I couldn't be more happy with it. But of cause Ill post more pictures and share my thoughts once I have it in hand.

KaiMu1.jpg
KaiMu2.jpg

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive just stumbled across the successor of the Böker El Gigante. Apparently there is a 2.0 version of the stag one now. They gave it a more aesthetically pleasing guard, but also a softer steel and a higher price tag to go with it. I always liked the El Gigante, very similar to the Trail master, but much better value. A 9+ inch distal tapered blade & tapered tang, with a nice leather sheath for just under €200 (250 for stag) I considered a good deal.

If you like the stag one, maybe see of you can get the old version with the steel guard in N690 somewhere, or go with ebony or micarta instead. I will probably pick up the ebony version myself sometime.

Edit: New version is "ACX 390", something like 420 steel with a hardness of around 55 or 56hrc. Old one is N690, or N695 (440c).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ive just stumbled across the successor of the Böker El Gigante. Apparently there is a 2.0 version of the stag one now. They gave it a more aesthetically pleasing guard, but also a softer steel and a higher price tag to go with it. I always liked the El Gigante, very similar to the Trail master, but much better value. A 9+ inch distal tapered blade & tapered tang, with a nice leather sheath for just under €200 (250 for stag) I considered a good deal.

If you like the stag one, maybe see of you can get the old version with the steel guard in N690 somewhere, or go with ebony or micarta instead. I will probably pick up the ebony version myself sometime.

Edit: New version is "ACX 390", something like 420 steel with a hardness of around 55 or 56hrc. Old one is N690, or N695 (440c).
Not surprised it has a higher price-tag. Genuine stag prices are through the roof now! Ironically you can thank all the trendy folks out there who are buying up stag to give to their dogs as natural chew-toys, for the price hikes. :rolleyes: