• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Big Island Pictures

Tim W

Enlightened
My wife and I just returned this weekend from 11 wonderful days in HI.

We spent 9 on the Big Island and 2 on Oahu.

Words don't do justice to the beauty of this paradise.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a couple photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg

These two above are from the true summit of Mauna Kea which is about a 1/4-1/2 mile hike from the observatories, while the one below (That is ONE BIG SNAIL!) was from sea level in Waipi'o Valley.

3.jpg

These are some of the shots I got on a whale watching cruise about 5 miles south of Hapuna Beach State Park. They aren't quite up to the quality of Don's photos, and I didn't want to step on his Maui Time thread, so I thought I'd post them here.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

One other amusing little story: My wife is constantly teasing me about always having a flashlight on my person (especially last fall during deer season, when I had my light but NO KNIFE and was successful!). Well, long story short, when we were at the Volcanoes Nat'l. Park and she wanted to explore the unlit portion of the Thurston Lava Tube, she sure was happy I had it!!!!!

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great shots.
I miss the islands. Been 10 years now :(

thanks for sharing

my wife is the same with me carrying a light but no gratitude when she needs light and I hsve the answer.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool Shots! :thumbsup: Glad you had a good time and saw some whales. Those snails actually get really big!!

Below is a shot of one that is the biggest I have seen. The larger light is a prototype HD45 (~6" long):

snail.jpg

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to do so! :)

And I am not trying to one up you on the snail! The first time I came across one of those snail shells (size of your's) it was empty and I kept it thinking it was a cool seashell. :eek:

Tim W

Enlightened
Glad you had a good time...

Those snails actually get really big!!

Someone told us that later that day, although I didn't think they meant as big as the one in your picture! :eeksign:

Yeah, it was probably the best vacation we've ever taken and we have already decided that it is probably gonna be an every other year event from now on.:party:

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Awesome pics...:thumbsup:

WOW that snail is really big. Never saw this before. :faint: :)

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Yeah, it was probably the best vacation we've ever taken and we have already decided that it is probably gonna be an every other year event from now on.:party:
I opted for an annual visitation which worked for 15+ years but the visits got longer and the separation more painful. :eek:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you enjoyed your visit and thanks for the pics!

The Big Island is definitely my favorite, though I may be biased as I grew up there.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would be happy if the Big Island cut down on its vog output some! :green:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Too true but it would be nice if she used the energy to grow the new island instead! How big does the big island need to get? :D

Tim W

Enlightened
Not the worlds greatest photo's, but not bad for dusk and 3/4mile away:

lava1.jpg

Shortly after dark, we were lucky enough to see a series of explosions that lasted for several minutes. From what we were told, this does not happen on a consistent basis so I felt fortunate that we were able to witness it:

lava2.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool shots Tim! :thumbsup:

Big Honu,
If you are interested in a time share on Lo`ihi, I understand there are still some slots available... :nana: :D

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW!!! I've seen lava flows into the ocean before, but nothing on that scale. It must have really been awesome to see it in person.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool shots Tim! :thumbsup:

Big Honu,
If you are interested in a time share on Lo`ihi, I understand there are still some slots available... :nana: :D

Actually, I already have a spot! If you want to split the timeshare, I'm taking deposits now! :D :nana:

Great pictures Tim! Did you need to walk a long ways to get to the flow? Sometimes it is right near the check station, other times you need to walk 2 miles or more.

Tim W

Enlightened
Great pictures Tim! Did you need to walk a long ways to get to the flow? Sometimes it is right near the check station, other times you need to walk 2 miles or more.

I guess it was about 3/4 mile hike. They told use that 2 months previously it had been only a couple hundred yards from where you park.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it was about 3/4 mile hike. They told use that 2 months previously it had been only a couple hundred yards from where you park.

That is not so bad, and at least it looks like you went when the day was starting to cool down. I made the mistake once of going around 1:00pm, during the summer, and the flow was about 1.5 miles away. DAMN, that black lava can cook you during the summer!

Tim W

Enlightened
... and at least it looks like you went when the day was starting to cool down.

We got there about 45 minutes before sundown.

I made the mistake once of going around 1:00pm, during the summer, and the flow was about 1.5 miles away. DAMN, that black lava can cook you during the summer!

Gave you a good idea how an egg feels, I'll bet!!:crackup: