BIG SEARCHLIGHT MASTERPIECES by LIGHTSWARD

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
. This is awesome. I originally discounted this design as old and inefficient but overlooked it's actual performance and now realize this ill be a permanent part of my collection now strong.
Thanks

For Halloween, the Monster..!

Made some adjustments on the massive 50 inch Monster searchlight, to help better focus and center the split reflected image of the arc chamber back through the center of the arc chamber between the electrodes. Over all made about three millimeters adjustment moving the over all arc center two millimeters away from main reflector. The image and resultant beam is awesome..!

Here is a quick look at three basic searchlight reflector designs I've used. Three main reflector designs using the deep, most efficient but worse focal length design, common with flashlights and car headlights, a second design is medium high efficiency reflector with split reflector and good compromise on focal length and the third oldest design using a shallow plate design common with telescopes. This flatter reflector has been used the longest by the military for it's very long "through", but is the least efficient gathering light from source but with the best focal length, is resulting in a long narrow beam for long distance..

22269849629_9cca38e103_b.jpg

There are variations and other combinations that utilize lenses either alone or in combination with the reflectors in some of today's searchlights.

Side and front views of upper deck I will position the searchlight a surround with scrim to block excess light.

22456656675_c4b54f4b95_b.jpg

Happy Halloween..!

b
p.pl
b
p.pl

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted everyone to know this MONSTER 50 inch searchlight is a winner. So many cars came by and used up much of our trick or treat candy..! Met many people from far away towns and small cities. People from towns twenty miles distance said it was bright where they were located.

Here are some quick photos, (better ones to be transferred soon), of the awesome Halloween night 50 inch MONSTER searchlight Trick or Treaters flood and hundreds of vehicles on our private street to see what the "Big Light", was all about.. Awesome. Met many great people.

This is a shot I need to download from this hard to digitize access camera, but takes great pictures:

22666443195_e8dd8fc0f5_b.jpg

Another shot taken from a camera hard to transfer photos from. Looks great, will get it in better quality soon.

First photo of the night my cell phone camera could actually take.

22676486651_fbdf7149b5_b.jpg

Halloween begins with this brilliant beam that could be seen twenty miles in distant small towns.

My 385,000 lumen Four thousand watt, HMI high efficiency, medium arc, 50 inch diameter MONSTER searchlight drew in Hundreds and hundreds of vehicles, multiple dozens of "Trick or Treaters", more than all other years here combined. One photo is from cell phone and one with a rainbow vein, like a rainbow caught in the light beam.
(You can see the high tech light bulb cooling down next to the air cooled 'split half reflector', which redirects otherwise wasted back light, back through the arc chamber, and onto the main reflector.)

22477318670_80c840393a_b.jpg

Had to take this off one of my other cameras. I'll transfer some of these soon for better quality.

Cool photo showing beam splitting raindrops up into colors like a rainbow.

22639262836_010b3e12dc_h.jpg

While the rain was falling heavily, rainbow patterns were visible at various parts of the light beam. Looked real neat.

4,000 watt, 385,000 lumen HMI High Tech bulb cooling down.

22477334790_f26cb0f84b_b.jpg

The split reflector cooling system has reduced the tarnishing effects of the intense heat assaulting the back split reflector.

Beam was bright enough for the my cell phone to capture the beam in rain

22676491331_d2ab64aa6c_b.jpg

Very impressive. The beam could be seen for many, many miles. People from many of the small and large towns and small cities scattered in the area, came for some candy and to see a searchlight, many had never seen one in person before. The look on many people's faces was like they had just seen God, or were otherwise spiritually lifted.

Way worth the effort. Now we get many Trick or Treaters when in the entire history of our small part of town, we had almost no people come by on Halloween...ever. I'm stoked....don't have to eat so much left over candy now....HA.:cool:

Will have to do this again. Originally I was going to make this the last appearance of the light, but due to high public approval, I may do it again, next year..!
b
p.pl

b
p.pl

b
p.pl

b
p.pl

b
p.pl

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The telescope reflector version of the 36 inch Gorilla is moving along. Not sure what to call it, Monster Jr., the New Gorilla, etc. Bottom picture you can see the two high powered searchlights together before beam shots are taken soon.

High powered stuff..!

More progress:

26725790955_a6692ae9c1_k.jpg

Searchlight reflecting sky to light

Nice view of the searchlight and cooling equipment.

A little closer to see the cooling fans

26119380804_2f5394eba3_h.jpg

Close-up Searchlight

Searchlight getting closer to completion.C ooling fans installed. My usual Home Depot $15.00 bath fans. To get twice the CFM capacity, most fan makers charge up to 10 X higher, so I just buy two.

Will fire up both of these at the same time for a total output of 8,000 watts HMI, equivalent to 24,000 watts incandescent of Xenon. 385,000 lumen output each for a TOTAL: 770,000 LUMEN..! That's bright..!

26122135423_ce5b3363e0_b.jpg

Old and New generations:wave::tired:
The old and new high powered telescope style searchlights.:) Notice the difference in the mirror orange peel effect from fibergalass to aluminum with it's much smoother finish. Hopefully makes a nicer beam..!

Will keep things posted as I make progress.

b

b

b

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:naughty: Here is part of my new line of all aluminum searchlights.

Here is the new line of aluminum searchlights, this being a new aluminum version of the 36 inch Gorilla. I've made deep dish reflectors too, and am fine tuning them. Hoop shape and calibration very important. I paid the machining price not realizing just how important those were.

After fine tuning several reflectors and even making a deep dish reflector to be revealed soon;, I've more or less gotten better at these aluminum reflectors
picture shows: Searchlight coming to life during daytime test

30594516741_a48bc86dca_b.jpg

New all Aluminum 36 inch 4,000 watt HMI Searchlight for Halloween

:cool:
Powerful beam as seen from behind searchlight. Beam can be seen for 5 miles distance.

30050759954_7edfef91a5_b.jpg

New all Aluminum 36 inch 4,000 watt HMI Searchlight for Halloween⤡

Beam from behind searchlight. Beam can be seen five miles distance or more
30048812653_4f7aa80576_b.jpg

New all Aluminum 36 inch 4,000 watt HMI Searchlight for Halloween:candle:

Powerful 380,000 lumen beam stabbing the night sky for five miles and can be seen all over town
30050731904_0d79148042_b.jpg

Beam seen close by as cars started rolling by.

Beam seen half a block away
30594479451_936b8af6b3_b.jpg

Light can be seen almost focused, yet hard to do with such hot equipment

Searchlight seen across the street warming up with color bands formed by camera interaction with 60 hertz / 120 flickers per second.

Click here to view the original image of 1376x963px.
30050770574_6d95c57bcc_h.jpg
36 inch aluminum searchlight warming up

Searchlight as seen from a couple blocks away as seen through trees and rain patterns

Click here to view the original image of 1376x980px.
30382296890_ee050c4f5b_h.jpg

Light beam looks incredible during rain...rainbows and different light patterns. :):eek:

Searchlight cooling down.

Click here to view the original image of 1376x777px.
30050782174_cce66b4cfd_k.jpg

Cooling down bulb takes about a minute to stop making any light.