Bike helmet mounts: ideas, pics, etc.?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a short strip of velcro (less than 6 inches I think) to weave it thru my PT EOS, and then thru the gaps on the the front of my helmet, just above the sun-visor thingy, then velcro tight together. The EOS is pivotable anyway, so angle of light is no problem.

Another light i use on my helmet is my E2e/KL1 or E2e/McLux PR DB700, depending on how much light I need. I put some bike inner tubing (road bike tubing) over the body of the E2e, and it fits very tightly. This is my EDC light mind you, so I leave the tubing on all the time. So anytime I need to, I just strap on the same velcro strip thru the clip on the light body and thru the helmet and it fits snugly and doesn't slip cos of the tubing on the body of the light. This method usually puts the light on either the left or right side of the helmet, but still gets the job done...

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using a modified ratcheting helmet light mount for 3 years on my helmet. BB500 minimag variations have been used until I settled on a BB500 R2H Fraen LP version I used until this week. Modified the copper plate I formed to fit the minimag barrel to fit my new Fenix L1P! :) Since copper is soft, it reformed with no problem and I am back to pointing it at drivers on side roads and looking at animals at the side of the road.

Green,
I PM'ed you back about the night rider mount and how to mod it from supergo.com. It costs $13 but I don't think it ratchets.

My BB500 R2H Fraen LP minimag will be mounted under the front boom of my recumbent. I'll use a flat metal piece, bend it to fit the barrel and point it at the correct angle. Then I'll drill the two holes at the end of the flat bar to fit the water bottle mount holes in the frame. The minimag served me well but I prefer the waterproofness, lightness and tiny size of the Fenix. Drivers respond almost the same when I point it at their eyes and take notice.

Sprocketman

Newly Enlightened
When you attach anything to a helmet it is important to remember that when you crash you want that helmet to slide on the hard surface you are hitting, not snag and jerk your neck. Velcro helps, but make sure it will actually pull off when you crash.

I don't use a helmet mounted headlight, but do use an Innova 24/7 velcroed onto the rear--the pattern of flashing leds is great. It's light and will come off easily.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm now attaching the minimag towards the back of the helmet. Depending on how much I slide the light back/forth, I get the beam to aim where I want it. I still have to play with the setup until I find the sweet spot. At least now I know how to do it, so it's a matter of trying a sligthly different position every night for a couple of days.

I hadn't thought about the velcro being to tight, Sprocketman. I was more concerned about the light falling off my helmet. Lemme tell ya, that strap is not coming undone! :thinking: :crazy:

I also use an Inova 24/7, but clipped to my pack/bag/back pocket. The strobe is whickedly bright!

hookoo

Newly Enlightened
Ok this is what I finally came up with. I bought one of these for $4.99 at locally Gi Joes. Not from that site.
Figured out the length I need for my particular helmet. Removed the Velcro, cut the strap to the needed length, and then melted the ends of the strap on a red hot stove so the ends don't fray (sp). And sewed the Velcro back on so it never comes off unless cut off. It works really well for $4.99 and it can be customized considering the length of the original strap. The elastic seems to be very sturdy. It also has to separate elastic loops for two sizes of lights.

Here is the strap

a.JPG

b.JPG

c.JPG

d.JPG

Last edited:

aosty

Enlightened
I just attached a Fenix L1P to my helmet using a regular non-parallel TwoFish block.

1) Feed two straps through *one* slot.

2) Wrap one around a helmet slot/vent/rib.

3) Place the light perpendicular *on* (versus in) the U of the block... squish it down and cinch the other strap. The flexible rubber U will flatten out and provides a long grippy surface - about half the length of the Fenix. It seems to be very stable.

Someone brought up safety in a crash (helmet snagging, not sliding, etc.)... I worry about this as well... looks like the rubber block and straps are compliant enough to twist/deform/squish in the event of a crash.

Sorry, no pic handy.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I lost the helmet and the minimag show on the first pic. I'm not riding without a helmet light and it's a completely different feeling. I miss being able to direct light sideways and signal oncoming traffic. The good news is, the helmet I have now is much more "lockblock friendly" than the first one I had. Now all I need is a new helmet light. I'm thinking some type of FluPIC mod so I can use the strobe, etc.

Banshee

Enlightened
I've opted for the HD45 on a Lockblock for my morning ride to the train station...works quite well!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
greenLED, hookoo, your solutions are actually quite elegant for this and thanks for posting.

I have tried to accomplish the same thing as I've started to mountain bike at night in preparation for night races, but I wanted to attach my PT Apex to my helmet and I managed to do so using an old Petzl strap and Petzl Bike Helmet clips: http://store.karstsports.com/03902.html.

The clips are made of a very soft metal encased in rubber and can be bent quite easily to a U-shape that just fits around the bottom edges of a helmet. The two straps on the Petzl then provide upward tension so the whole thing stays in place.

I have had this rig setup for about 2 weeks and it's great on the trails as well as commuting. Some issues:
- Power cord from Apex battery compartment is short, so compartment is not quite at the back of the helmet - it's more on the right side
- I have used 2 bungie cords to secure the top strap more firmly to the helmet
- The whole rig is a little heavy so those long rides home at night can create a sore neck

Another potential issue, as pointed out by Sprocketman, is that this rig is attached pretty firmly so a spill in the wrong angle may cause some serious head injuries - will have to think about that one. Pics below...

The bungie cords are a bit ghetto but they work - will likely substitute velcro straps for a cleaner look.
img1209wincebd2.jpg
img1204wincece2.jpg

img1207wincelk7.jpg
img1211wincekj7.jpg

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much any headlamp can attach to your helmet by removing the headstrap and sliding velcro through the slots and around the vent holes. Although I wouldn't want 4AA weighing down the back of my helmet.

What 10,000 posts and you dont have a headlamp? :eek: For Shame! How dare you call yourself a flashaholic.

Might as well get one of the best. APEX PRO:
under $100 even with LiIon kit from AW. The EOS is nice too. With a headlamp the optic works well if you have a flood on your bars.
34nmj3t.jpg

*EDIT* The protected LiIon will die with no notice whatsoever and you have to use protected with this setup. Be prepared by having a handlebar light on as well.

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Thanks cave dave and greenLED, I took your advice, removed the straps, picked up 2 velcro straps and remounted the light. It was amazing how simple this solution was and it's also cleaner and more secure.

One note; because the power 'cord' on the Apex is a bit short, I still had to mount the 4AA battery pack on top of, and towards the back of, the helmet. I went for a 2 hr. ride a couple of nights ago and, honestly, the weight was not really that noticable at all. Plus, the runtime of the 4AA's definitely makes up for it as the main LED light was on (low) for the entire duration of the ride with no visible diminishing of output.

Granted, the 2 R123's would make it less obvious but it wasn't that bad at all - maybe I'll just end up with stronger neck muscles...

greenLED

Flashaholic
RGB_LED said:
Thanks cave dave and greenLED, I took your advice, removed the straps, picked up 2 velcro straps and remounted the light. It was amazing how simple this solution was and it's also cleaner and more secure.
We need pics! :)

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a L&M HID which can be mounted on the helmet.

Looking at the comparison on this board between a 10W HID and the new CREE XR-E,
I'm wondering why I'm lugging this boat anchor around when I spent $$$$ to get a
lightweight bike.

Looks like a system built around an XR-E would be as good as an HID at 1/3 the power consumption.

Even one of the little lights they're selling on this board would be good when one
of my sunset rides takes a bit longer than I planned (like tonight -- it gets dark
so early once daylight savings time goes away). Don't need a lot of runtime for that.
Also good as a backup on longer rides. I have been clicking the sandwich shop link often, but they're always sold out.

I also want to mount lights on my fairing. Small and aero is good.
Mounting on the handlebars and aiming through the windshield
illuminates the inside of the fairing as much as the road.
I'm thinking something could be attached to the fairing mount bolts,
but it would have to be very light, as those bolts are plastic.

stiletto-faired.jpg

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
AndyTiedye said:
That's an interesting bike you have there; doesn't make attaching a front light very easy... :thinking: Could this reflection/glare from the windshield affect your ability to see past the windshield? I'm concerned that if you use a really bright light, much of the light would trasnslate into internal reflection/glare instead of illuminating ahead. Does a helmet light sit above the windshield enough that this wouldn't be a problem? (I still like a fixed light and a helmet light.)

I gave up last night and ordered some Cree XR-E's, see what kind of helmet light I can come up with. I was thinking about modding a Fenix look-alike mod host I have sitting here, but I haven't had much time to mod anything serious in ages, so don't hold your breath on me.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a modified bicycle helmet mount for 4 years now with either a BB500 minimag or my present UWAJ MillerMods 1.7 watt L1P.

On my wife's helmet, she uses a stock Fenix L1P with strapped on with a velcro strap and a layer of rubber above and below the strap to lock it on the helmet. Two black plastic cable ties hold it all together. A very compact and bright enough for cars to see.

Now to figure out how to put a (hopefully Q3 bin) XR-E on the MillerMods 1.7 watt 500+ mA regulator and stuff it in the L1P. McR17? Mod the light to hold a larger and extended head? Ahhhh, the thrill of ever increasing lumens out of a single AA self-contained helmet light.

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
Great Bike!

You could always consider mounting on your fork, and wiring a switch to your handlebar, but this may provide too many shadows on your ride, and won't give you the ability to illuminate the direction you're looking

.... maybe even some cheezy suction cup mount on the fairing which would make the light more portable.

just thoughts.

How fast can you get'er going on the flats?

AndyTiedye said:
I have a L&M HID which can be mounted on the helmet.

Looking at the comparison on this board between a 10W HID and the new CREE XR-E,
I'm wondering why I'm lugging this boat anchor around when I spent $$$$ to get a
lightweight bike.

Looks like a system built around an XR-E would be as good as an HID at 1/3 the power consumption.

Even one of the little lights they're selling on this board would be good when one
of my sunset rides takes a bit longer than I planned (like tonight -- it gets dark
so early once daylight savings time goes away). Don't need a lot of runtime for that.
Also good as a backup on longer rides. I have been clicking the sandwich shop link often, but they're always sold out.

I'm thinking something could be attached to the fairing mount bolts,
but it would have to be very light, as those bolts are plastic.

stiletto-faired.jpg

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
just a thought with mounting lights on that bike. I've heard of people having trouble if they mount the lights on the sides as it can look like car lights that are a long way away

How much do you mind modifying the fairing? You could for example fix a small bar (off cut of a shower curton rail) onto the front of it and use standard bike lights bolted onto that. the only one I've seen with lights didn't have a fairing as large as that

though I don't normally use a head mounted light I use this as a back up
QIII2.jpg

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
AndrewL said:
just a thought with mounting lights on that bike. I've heard of people having trouble if they mount the lights on the sides as it can look like car lights that are a long way away
I've never given thought to that. :thinking: You'd have to be using 2 lights at the ends of the handlebar, which I don't think is wide enough to create such an effect.

That said, I used a combination of my Pila GL3 and my SF U2 a few times, and my wife did mention I looked like a motorcycle as I approached home. ...Guess those 2 lights are a little bright? :grin2:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the same strap as hookoo, which is made by Nite Ize. By winding the strap around the various stanchions of styrofoam of my helmet it is possible to get a good fit, and the strap will hold any AA size light. I've mostly used my L1P or if very dark, my modded 667mA ARC LS with the 2AA body. Both very good for aiming at oncoming traffic for maximum visibility, I don't know how I managed without a helmet light before. Basically a good idea...

Be lucky....