Bike helmet mounts: ideas, pics, etc.?

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
I've never given thought to that. :thinking: You'd have to be using 2 lights at the ends of the handlebar, which I don't think is wide enough to create such an effect.
The person who had that problem was using a recumbrent trike and had the lights on teh side of the fairing. my lights match many motor bikes for light output, my horn is much loader

greenLED

Flashaholic
AndrewL said:
The person who had that problem was using a recumbrent trike and had the lights on teh side of the fairing.
Ah! That does make sense.

Yup, bike lights can get pretty bright if you want them to. I've actually thought about using my Pila GL4, but I've held back thinking that might be a little too bright and really confuse oncoming traffic. :grin2:

greenLED

Flashaholic
From this post.

mypalthetortoise said:
DSC01734.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

I tried the same on my helmet using the largest o-rings I could find, but later realized that those elastic bands people use to tie their pony-tails work just as well, and are cheap and readily available.

Those colored silicone "support-my-cause" wrist bands also work well, but they are larger than necessary (at least for my helmet - check on yours before abandoning the idea), and the light I was trying to attach (AA-based) wasn't secure enough for my taste. I'm sure it wouldn't've falled off my helmet, but I'd rather have a tighter attachment.

ringer9cs

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a Fenix L2D CE and found it is very easy to mount on one of my helmets.

630cml3.jpg

The L2D body is thin in the center, so I can easily use a strap (yellow) to fix it on a groove of my helmet:

4koz14i.jpg

It costs 2 cents and it's pretty stable!

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I'm building a 2-LED bike light and a 3-LED bike light. The 2 will be finished first and will likely migrate to my helmet after the larger light is finished. The shape is such that I don't think a velcro strap would hold it very well... I am trying to figure out a way to mount a bracket to the helmet, but I think it will be too unwieldy and too heavy.

I am thinking velcro is the best solution after all... I will have to give it some more thought.

mosport

Enlightened
Here's my current brain bucket mount, a U-bin P4 with Khatod 17mm reflector swap in a PT EOS. I've tried mounting flashlights but was never happy with a fixed angle, this setup allows for pivoting and does not block airflow through the cooling vents. Industrial velcro fastens the light to the shell and is secured with another velcro strap, batteries can be changed out without removing the light.

img1118cp7.jpg

img1117ed9.jpg

img1120wn6.jpg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
when I read the thread title, I thought you needed a place to set your helmet when you reach your destination. I usually just dangle it from my handlebars.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Here's my current brain bucket mount, a U-bin P4 with Khatod 17mm reflector swap in a PT EOS. I've tried mounting flashlights but was never happy with a fixed angle, this setup allows for pivoting and does not block airflow through the cooling vents. Industrial velcro fastens the light to the shell and is secured with another velcro strap, batteries can be changed out without removing the light.
That's my current setup as well, mosport (except my Eos is stock, I kinda like the collimated beam of the stock optic), and I did it for similar reasons. Something I discovered is that you can't tighten the Eos' base plate too hard, or the little tabs will break... :green: PT was kind enough to send me a replacement, but I thought I'd mention it.

mosport

Enlightened
Hey Migs :wave:

Thanks for mentioning the over tightening issue, good to know with a out of warranty light :sssh:!

I've also converted a few for local friends - the latest being CPFer 'KIT' here in Toronto. Left the stock optic in place with a P4 for another riding buddy and he prefers the collimated beam as well. Bang for the buck, the P4 is a great mod and biking bargain! Costs $10 for the P4 + $5 if you opt for a reflector, the mod performs nicely against commercially available lights double times its cost.

Here's tibim's detailed thread on how to convert yours, or mail it over and I'll do it for free (if you can do without your light for week!).

:)

Derek

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've also converted a few for local friends... Left the stock optic in place with a P4 for another riding buddy and he prefers the collimated beam as well.
Heya, Derek, thanks for sharing that link and you offer. Very tempting indeed. It's been a while since I've fired up my soldering iron, so I might take you up on it, at least for my riding light - those can't be too bright. :devil: For my night-reading Eos (yeah I got 2), I think I'll just swap the optic for a reflector but not do the P4 replacement - I don't want to lose the very low level.

In my mind, I see the collimated beam as more suitable for riding, as you can "spot" drivers from greater distances. What would you say is the estimated throw of the P4 with the stock NX-05? Is the pattern similar to that of the stock Lux + optic?

That said, I can see the advantages of using a reflector as well. :thinking: Tempting indeed.

mosport

Enlightened
EOS P4 optic and reflector mods have roughly the same throwing distance, with the collimated NX05 having less spill and the 17mm having a smaller hotspot. Both patterns are useful on 2 wheels, also building a handlebar light right now so maybe my setup will change again when that's completed. I'll try to grab a EOS P4 with the stock optic and take beamshots, if not then I could also convert back to stock optic temporarily.

Noticed the stock Lux-I has the typical faint X crosshair artifact with the NX05, IIRC that seemed to be fixed with the P4 conversion. Not sure if that's because of the increased beam intensity disguising this minor artifact, or if the change in die height affected the focus and eliminated it - an underexposed beamshot will reveal the answer...

In any case, it was only noticeable with the Lux up close ~2m from a white wall and hopefully we won't be riding into any of those on our bikes!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Some pics I took of my current setup:

pteosonhelmet1au3.jpg

and some closeups of the velcro attachment (I used a long strap from a spare TwoFish lockblock):

Derek, notice how the velcro strap is positioned towards the top of the base plate. The angle of my helmet's vents is such that if I tighten the velcro on the lower "tabs" of the attachement plate, they'll break... :green: That's the black replacement base plate I got from PT (stock is grey)

Incidentally, I got that Eos at an REI "scratch & dent" sale. IIRC, it was about $4 and still had the brand-new batteries in it. :)

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm not familiar with this reflector. Can you give a source... and if it had to be modified? Thanks much!
To answer the first part of your questions, I *think* Photon Fanatic has'em; I haven't checked at the Shoppe. They're spec'ed for the P4's.

mosport

Enlightened
Howdy Darell, hope you don't mind me answering your PM here :)

PhotonFanatic is the only source I know selling the Khatod reflector line, he has both stippled and smooth versions for $4 each. The textured reflector really kills throw, the 17mm smooth one works best for the EOS mod. Since they're designed specifically for SSC P4, there's no need to shim or mod the reflector to re-focus, it's ready to go!

If you have one, the unmodified IMS SO17 reflector will also work ok with the P4, just cut off the fins. If that's what you already have, try that combination out first and see if it suits your needs before ordering the Khatod (Fred's away on vacation till June 21st anyways).

Reflector gets held to the emitter in the same way as the stock optic, by the black plastic optic (reflector) holder. There's a little bit of rattling around, so here's instructions on how to fix that problem. An old bike tube, or even cut up dish washing gloves would also work fine, basically anything you can find around the house.

Migs, $4 is a smoking deal for an EOS, you paid for a 3 pack of AAA Energizers and got the light for free!
:sold::lolsign:

Nice helmet too, wish Giros fit my head. Used the strap from a lockblock as well, it's really high quality velcro and just the perfect length - wish I could find another one! Try re-wrapping the strap so that there's no pressure on the tabs, this lets you cinch everything toight without risking breakage - check the pics in post 47 above and see if that works any better. Wanted to ride trails tonight but won't anymore after Toronto posted a smog alert for today's 31C+ temps. Will try and grab my buddy's helmet with P4 optic EOS for those beamshots soon.

Think I'll go jump in a pool instead tonite...

HTH,

Derek

Last edited:

Darell

Flashaholic
It is threads like this that restore my faith in the CPF brotherhood! Group hug!

Thanks tons for all the leg work and reflector/optic info. I didn't realize that the factory optic would even work with the P4, so that's my starting point. Then I'll give a try with the legless reflector and see how that does for me.

Fantastic! My goal here is to use my older helmet as my "night riding" lid. I'll outfit it semi-permanently with lights, and leave my lighter, more expensive lid alone.... for now. ;)

Oh... and yes - not using PM is just about always my preference!

There's nothing better than finding a good product that can so easily be made better.

Darell

Flashaholic
Way back when I first got one of THE first EOS lights, I tried to put a Lux3 in there. But the extra thickness of the sink wouldn't allow room for the optic. Bummer! So I instead used the best Lux1 that I had at the time. That's my only mod on these up to this point. I just popped a P4 in there behind the factory optic. The pattern is NICE. No real defined hot spot. One big blob that just tapers to the edges. The Lux1 beam is a definied small spot, with a defined corona. The small hot spot is about as bright as my much larger blob with the P4... just not nearly as much of it.

Sure am glad that SSC decided to use the thinner sinks so this works so easily. Now, if they made a helmet mount that would snap on and off the helmet, we'd be set!

Totally simple mod this way (using the factory optic). Thanks again guys. Now I just need to find those $4 EOS's!

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
$4 is a smoking deal for an EOS, you paid for a 3 pack of AAA Energizers and got the light for free!
Try re-wrapping the strap so that there's no pressure on the tabs, this lets you cinch everything toight without risking breakage - check the pics in post 47 above and see if that works any better.k

I *love* REI's scratch & dent sales. It's crazy the stuff people will return for no valid reason - I've gotten brand-new gear for a fraction of the original price.

DD, I'll keep my eyes open for an Eos next time I hit one of the local sales. Anything else you might be interested in?

...oh, and that's a *brilliant* way of rethreading the velcro strap. That's what I call "thinking outside the bucket"...
:lol:

Darell

Flashaholic
DD, I'll keep my eyes open for an Eos next time I hit one of the local sales. Anything else you might be interested in?
When I went to school in Berkeley, I'd visit the discount area quite often - and found some great stuff! Now, they only have it available on specific days, and it is a mad-house around here... plus I usually can't make it anyway. :(

...oh, and that's a *brilliant* way of rethreading the velcro strap. That's what I call "thinking outside the bucket"...
:lol:
Ah... and now I finally figured out that you were still going outside the little wings and pulling down on them. Couldn't figure out how you broke the thing at first! You had it threaded as if you were wearing it on your head. Took me a while, but I figured it out! Wouldn't it be great if it could snap in and out of the hinge area easily? Could just leave the base on the helmet and snap the light out when you didn't need it. Velcro only does and un-does so many times.