Bionic body parts

Poppy

Flashaholic
For those who have issues with lower extremity body parts, it might behoove them to be evaluated by a Chiropractor, Physical Therapist, or a properly trained Athletic Trainer for muscle imbalances. Often as parts start to wear out, or injuries occur, a person will compensate by altering his gait, and or walking with a limp. These alterations to normal body mechanics can put unnatural stresses on other body parts, which may lead to degenerative changes. Unilateral muscle weaknesses often follow.

After being evaluated by the professional, one should do the specific exercises given, on a regular basis. This will usually reduce the rate of degeneration.

One factor often seen in people with degenerative lower extremity issues, is obesity. For those people, one of the greatest improvements, they can make, is to drop weight.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
one should do the specific exercises given, on a regular basis. T

The regular basis is the hard part for most.
And even fewer want to deadlift and work legs
We are mostly quad dominate...so without effort our posterior chain will be weak.

But you're exactly right, the lighter we are the better we feel....muscle gets heavy and lethargic.
I've been 145lbs and I've been 195lbs with a 2" larger waist. I felt way better at 145lbs.
Now with 2 torn meniscuses I'm told to stay as light as I can be to minimize damage 20 years from now.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Many people have back issues from carrying a wallet in their back pocket. It's not unusual to have an over stuffed wallet. That causes a slight change in back alignment.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Many people have back issues from carrying a wallet in their back pocket. It's not unusual to have an over stuffed wallet. That causes a slight change in back alignment.
I've found the best solution to be a minimalist front-pocket wallet. One that is thin and limits what a person can put inside of it. Therefore, only the most important cards get put in. Also, Cash is still King. So, a very basic, thin, brass money-clip or very flat leather I.D. wallet as well.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard users need hard use wallets

56E0AA15-F173-4412-8CF9-4BEA1A8DA503.jpeg

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I never carried a wallet. I don't believe in having everything important in your life in one easy to steal carrier. I like to travel light, so I just take what I'll need. Pre-covid I bought anything except large purchases with cash. So I generally carried around about as much cash as I might need, maybe with a little cushion. If I was planning to use my credit cards, only the one I was planning to use I bought with me. And I had my state ID, although even that I left home for quick, local shopping trips. If I'm using the subway then add a MetroCard to that. You can't lose what you don't carry is my philosophy. So basically just a few items, plus cash. I kept all of them in different pockets also to make it harder for thieves.

Like Monocrom, I go for minimalist solutions in my life. With online shopping the last few years the only thing I go to the store for is groceries.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hard users need hard use wallets

View attachment 32874
If you want HARD, get you a Ridge Wallet. It's literally two slab-sided chunks of metal held together with a bit of elastic! Did a review on it on my YouTube channel. (Well, an honest review. Not that pandering garbage that literally every other YouTuber did on the wallet.) I mean, if you want a wallet that's comfortable to EDC, it's laughable! Just no. If you want something durable enough to throw at a mugger's skull, and put him in the hospital.... Perfect wallet for you! 😆

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Like Monocrom, I go for minimalist solutions in my life. With online shopping the last few years the only thing I go to the store for is groceries.
Yeah, traveling light is best. Locally, I only step outside to walk a bit to do grocery shopping or hit the supermarket. When I do that, I just carry my debit card and cash. (Cash in case the little machine at both places goes down, and they can only do cash transactions until it goes back up.)

Front-pocket wallet for work purposes. Driver's license in the unlikely event I get pulled over. One credit card for emergencies. Bank card for accessing ATM. (Unfortunately nowadays you have to make a special request if you want just an ATM card. Otherwise it's a combo ATM/debit card issued when you open up an account. Didn't feel like waiting 4 weeks to get one of those sent out to me.) Registration for the car. Paper proof of insurance. A couple of hidden high denomination bills for a cab ride home in case of another terror attack. One for the ride, the other to bribe the cabbie. So, just the bare essentials.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have muscle imbalances for sure. My right side is stronger than my left, but my left side has more muscle mass.

I'm waiting around to see if my left ulnar nerve needs moved to ease compression.

About the only 2 things I go minimalist on are my wallet and my shoes. Zero drop minimalist shoes are a game changer for anything other than running. My wife makes jokes at my shoes. She calls them slippers. But deadlift and squat records are set in these style of shoe so there's that

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both lenses in my eyes are replacements; a wonderful thing. One eye got some cloudiness and some kind of laser machine cleaned it right up. 20-15 (almost sometimes) vision.

A well worn digging bar with a few tree bases that were in the way (I busted the tamper end off years ago breaking up concrete:

View attachment 32311
Maybe 4 years ago dug this one out;

58F27FDC-B0C7-442B-BF9E-238255E18B01.jpeg

The complications from damage to left femur resulted in years later issues with right hip joint, because I was taking weight off of left leg and allowing the right hip to articulate too much for too long (if that makes any sense)

Member Poppy is spot on with his last post.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have muscle imbalances for sure. My right side is stronger than my left, but my left side has more muscle mass.

I'm waiting around to see if my left ulnar nerve needs moved to ease compression.

About the only 2 things I go minimalist on are my wallet and my shoes. Zero drop minimalist shoes are a game changer for anything other than running. My wife makes jokes at my shoes. She calls them slippers. But deadlift and squat records are set in these style of shoe so there's that
Powerlifters, when doing squats wear lace up engineer steel toe work boots ~ Dead lifts, some guys wear Vans slip-on, or just go bare foot. Objective is to get closer to ground, less travel for bar to lock-out.
They lift on wood/conveyor belt rubber insert Olympic style platforms, set on concrete slab floors..
Hard core users!

Fyi, low repetition sets = less wear and tear on joints (and your ulnar nerve) I'd stay away from all that body builders high reps bs..
Besides, those guys only do the high reps when getting ready to compete.. just saying

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Powerlifters, when doing squats wear lace up engineer steel toe work boots

The ones I follow use the low-bar and wear flats so there's less emphasis on the quads and more on the posterior.
Alan Thrall does low bar and wears Romaleos...I guess it's all a preference.
Oly lifters definitely wear raised platform shoes to help them get into the bottom position with less ankle mobility.
But I can't go below parallel, so I don't need that extra ankle mobility.

I have a pair of 20mm Romaleos but I ditched then when I started working with someone that pushed wide boxed flat shoes like these:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried squat suits, or a bench shirt?

I do remember a few shoes available, but were intended for Olympic style lifters.

It's been many years since I've been involved..

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried suits...I don't have the genetics or size to lift big.
The spring that those suits provide is like the spring the hamstrings provide in the squat that Platz said was the key to his development.

When you get to that level you need training aids to help you from either the bottom position or the top position. It's a hard nut to crack because to get strong at the top position of the lift you need help getting out from the bottom. And to get strong from the bottom position you have to get help at the top position.

Or do what I do...use dumbbells, mind muscle connection and lot of drop sets. lol

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
When using heavy dumbbells there's a lot of technique that goes into lifting.. and like you said there's also a lot of miss lifts when one gets away from ya.. but that's goes with the territory.

Platz was born for lifting with his short stocky build. I watched him pump up for Bodybuilding Classic show about 40yrs ago. He was the guest poser along with Dave Draper. Fun times!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
When using heavy dumbbells there's a lot of technique that goes into lifting.. and like you said there's also a lot of miss lifts when one gets away from ya.. but that's goes with the territory.

Platz was born for lifting with his short stocky build. I watched him pump up for Bodybuilding Classic show about 40yrs ago. He was the guest poser along with Dave Draper. Fun times!

Platz is pyscho hardcore. His more recent training videos have him yelling "5 more" after pros hit failure and are getting sick. lol
Ben Pakulski is another leg monster that was just gifted with it.

It's crazy what it takes to achieve their physiques.
Not only do you have to be crazy enough to train every day for years....but you have to be able to eat huge portions, digest huge portions, your body must be genetically gifted to use those macro nutrients to build mass...must have the genetics to maximize the muscle-enhancing supplements. Then after all that you must be genetically gifted to stay injury free for the majority of your career. it's like being the 1% of 1% of 1%.