Black Diamond Headlamps FYI

Inconceivable

Newly Enlightened
Black Diamond headlamp info. I contacted BD inquiring about Lithium non-rechargables in there Apollo lantern and this is the response (same day) I received.

"Thanks for checking in with us. Though it is ok - and does not void the warranty - to use Lithium Ion batteries in our headlamps and lantern, we only recommend doing so in colder temperatures (32 degrees F or colder) as this offsets the amount of heat produced by the batteries themselves. Use of Lithium batteries in warmer temperatures could (read: possibly) result in the damage of your lamp, and thus we recommend not using them as your "everyday" battery. I hope this information is of help."

Marduke

Flashaholic
Someone doesn't know what they are talking about. e2 L91 lithium primaries are not Li-Ion, as stated in the reply. Since when would the batteries in their lights produce any appreciable amount of heat??

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
ignoring the obvious "mis-speaks" in BD's reply pointed out by a prev. Poster who has addressed them quite adequately, this appears to be a somewhat similar situation to some Petzl HLs. it appears that the Petzl and BD HLs with LEDs that can't use Li Primary cells as a power source have at least one thing in common, viz. they are not unregulated.

approx. two wks ago, when calling BD and asking to be xferred to someone who was knowledgeable about their '08 lineup of HLs, i was connected w/someone who, while being very helpful, also confessed to not being overly technical. i appreciated his honesty. he answered some of my questions satisfactorily, but others, involving technical details, he was unable to answer. at his request i put my questions in an email to him and he was going to forward them to BD engineering staff for answers. i've yet to hear back. i did however, order three of their upgraded '08 HLs (viz., an Icon, a Spot, and a Cosmo), two of which (the Icon and Spot) use Cree LEDs and are much brighter than the '07 versions of these HLs.

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black diamond's got Cree's now! alright!!!

they do. the Icon and Spot, that is. this puts the Icon right up there w/the '08 Myo XP, '08 Primus PrimeLite Race (Rebel based) and a small number of other Rebel and Cree based HL's.

the Icon is SO MUCH brighter in '08 v. '07. also, GONE is that oh so teentsy weentsy spot that almost made the '07 and prev. original PTec Eos look like a flood light (ok, i'm exaggerating here, but it's just hyperbole for the sake of effect). now the central hotspot is much larger and there is plenty of spill, IMO, and the main beam is now VERY USEFUL.

the smaller 1W Spot has a beam that rivals pre-07 3W LEDs in terms of LUX and throw. it's overall field of illumination is wide enough (MUCH wider than the original 1W Luxeon based PTec Eos) to be easily useful for hiking at night.

the Cosmo now has 1x0.5W + 2x5mm instead of the '07 version's 4x5mm - it is a big improvment on the Cosmo. the 1x0.5W has much better throw than 4x5mm on HIGH. for task/proximity lighting, 2x5mm serves just fine. the only improvement i would have made is a way to allow BOTH 1x0.5W *AND* the 2x5mm to be ON at the same time, sorta' like the Mammut Lucido TX1 HL does.

this is the first time since the old BD SuperNova hybrid and the Spaceshot II hybrid that i have really liked any of BD's LED HL's more than PTec's current offerings [Note: i own every BD HL, sometimes two of them, since the first year the single-LED Gemini hybrid was released w/the exception of the Soliras and the 4x5mm Moonlight]. i really like all three of these HL's (though my excitement is much more subdued regarding the 0.5W Cosmo). the '08 Cree-based Icon excites me as much as the '08 Myo XP did some months earlier and the '08 Cree-based Spot is now my favorite 3xAAA HL (it's even better than the MUCH, MUCH improved, IMO, PT EosII - though the EosII is wonderful also). i must say that my first BD pre-Cree Spot (purchased perhaps the very first week after they were introduced in the good ol' USofA) was a great disappointment to me. after that first set of cells was burned through, i only used it once more time some months later to remind myself of why it was such a disppointment. the '08 Spot is fantastic by comparison.

for my personal tastes in HLs, i thought BD had lost their way. yes, i still purchased all of them, hoping to be wowed by them the way the SpaceShotII wowed me, but i was always disappointed except by the tiny BD 2x5mm kiddie's HL called the Wiz (my expectations were very low for this one, so it was a bit better than expected).

fr/my perspective BD is BACK!!!

the only thing which i'm NOT sure of at this point about these three new BD HL's is something that i've complained about b/f regarding BD's LED HL's, viz. their INFLATED burntimes. i've almost never been able to get close to the burntimes that BD claims. the jury is still out on this point.

also, the hard plastic may be subject to cracking/failure in rough use. this is just something that i suspect MAY happen; *NOT* something which has ever happened to any of my BD HLs.

obviously, i don't have a lot of time on either of these two new BD HLs yet, so something else may surface. furthermore, some of my excitement may be due to these new '08 versions being SO MUCH better than prev. model year's HLs, that it has taken me by surprise and some of this excitement may wear off. however, be that as it may, the '08 Icon and '08 Spot, IMO, are some of the VERY BEST HL offerings available anywhere at this time. factor in the price for these two (both together just under $100 w/o shipping) and purchasing both might be very tempting.

my two shekels. YMMV.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
Hei Half-watt - thanks for the views. I was checking out the headlamps
at REI (san jose) yesterday. Curiously the wall of headlamps has been moved
so its the first thing you see when entering rather being hidden near the backpacks.
The petzl myo xp's were all the new 08's. Could not tell from the BD packaging
if the spot or icon were the new 08's.
The claim of 'hands free lighting' was prominent on some brands which
hit a chord as we've been blitzed in California with the new law for 'hands free' cell phone use while driving. -hopkins

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Could not tell from the BD packaging
if the spot or icon were the new 08's...

one can clearly see the LED die in both the '08 Icon and '08 Spot. just look at the LED and see if it's a Cree. it looks just like the LED in a Fenix [Cree-based] flashlight - if that helps any.

nzbazza

Enlightened
Half Watt

Thanks for the heads-up on the new '08 BD HL models.

After a couple years of EDC use I found the hard plastic case on the front has developed a lot of fine cracks particularly where it mates with the clear reflector cover and along the edges of the molding. Superglue has fixed all the cracks fine.

Over time my "05 BD Spot has grown on me (with its RX0H-bin Lux1), I've always liked the beam profile from the its reflector, but disliked its flimsy feel, lack of waterproofing and regulation, and the PWM drove me crazy on the med and lo levels. I hope they have chosen a higher frequency for the PWM in the '08 model.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
... the PWM drove me crazy on the med and lo levels. I hope they have chosen a higher frequency for the PWM in the '08 model.

I could never get over the low frequency PWM either. I think it was less than 100hz. Very noticeable.
:thumbsdow