Black Diamond Icon vs. Princeton tec Apex

N

npkeith

Newly Enlightened
Which would you choose and why? My trusty Princeton Tec matrix (with the three 5mm whites) has finally bit the dust. My wife has a BD zenix and loves it, but now I need a new headlight, I *have* to go a step up (we wouldn't want to get them confused now, would we...).
-Keith

F

filibuster

Enlightened
I have the PT Apex though I looked long and hard at the Icon. What made the difference for me was regulation, which the Apex has and the Icon appeared not to have. I've also modded my Apex with a Seoul emitter to give it a much brighter beam, marvelous!

Other threads have compared the two here on CPF as well:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=149957

Last edited:
C

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an Icon for about two days. The PWM drove me crazy. It seems to be less than 100 HZ. Very noticable on low and Med.

acourvil

acourvil

Enlightened
I have the PT Apex though I looked long and hard at the Icon. What made the difference for me was regulation, which the Apex has and the Icon appeared not to have. I've also modded my Apex with a Seoul emitter to give it a much brighter beam, marvelous!

Other threads have compared the two here on CPF as well:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=149957

[The new version of the Icon is regulated.]

Edit: Ooops, I was thinking of the Xenix, so I don't now if there is a regulated version fo the Icon or not.

Last edited:
crislight01

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
the icon is lighter, the apex might be a bit bulky after all it has 4 AA! think about having 4AA's in the back of your head, the throw of the icon is amazing and it uses a reflector, the apex uses that glass colimator thingy wich i think is pretty lame