BlackDiamond Moonlight Headlamp is awesome!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeLu:
2. Their are several kits to change the Petzl Duo's low beam to led.
One has several white and at least one yellow led (7 all togehter). Another one is available at LuxBrite.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
wow. you're right! Thanks! What are the urls of the other sources of LEDs for converting the Duo's lowbeam???

recercare

Enlightened
I know someone who's just tested the Lupine X-treme beam. He thinks the price is crazy considering the amount of light you get. He considered it to be slightly better than Trek 1900, but not THAT much. So, this is obviously a tech-toy...

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:
I know someone who's just tested the Lupine X-treme beam. He thinks the price is crazy considering the amount of light you get. He considered it to be slightly better than Trek 1900, but not THAT much. So, this is obviously a tech-toy...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Amount of light' is only one of many factors. There are probably lights which are less 'bright' and cost more (for a good reason).
I have a handheld light witha 6V 55W halogen bulb and a SLA battery which gives an incredible bright light. I bought it for less than $19. Is it better than a SureFire 6P?

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
[
Thanks! What are the urls of the other sources of LEDs for converting the Duo's lowbeam???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One is available at Inner Mountain Outfitters

look down for 17-1540

Another one is available at:
[email protected]
(That is a home tinkerer making the 6 white and one amber LED version).

Have to look for the rest.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
so far the Luxbrite version seems most workable - (but I'd still prefer something that would take less installation time...)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just change the reflectors. How could it be less installation time?

And the tinkerer takes some $40 if you send him your Duo reflector, otherwise $4 more.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

oh, right, I see - when they say 'replace the reflector' they mean the whole reflector - I was confused, not sure the assembly came with the reflector for the high beam too -but I see now it's an all- inclusive one-piece thing - thanks PeLu!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

PeLu; I checked IMO (wow they got alot of new stuff since I was there last!) and see the 21 LED conversion for the Duo, for $200 ! (a bit much for me) The only other conversion for the lowbeam of the Duo Petzl is the single LED stuck right into the bi-pin holes - and a dummy battery substituted for one of the 4 AA batteries to bring the voltage down to 4.5 - but then you lose the brightness of your high
beam......so far the Luxbrite version seems most workable - (but I'd still prefer something that would take less installation time...) Are there any others you know of? Thanks!
btw I see IMO says the new ($34) BD Moonlights now have an LED selection option on the switch, you can choose either 2 or 4 LEDs -- this is not an option on the earlier ($27) model -- darn it.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Just browsing through some older topics in search for a headlamp, I came across this one and was wondering if Ted the Led ever sent his Moonlight to Telephony so he can do a review on it. Any chance on this happening?

looking forward to see anything about this
rolleyes.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackBart:
Just browsing through some older topics in search for a headlamp, I came across this one and was wondering if Ted the Led ever sent his Moonlight to Telephony so he can do a review on it. Any chance on this happening?

looking forward to see anything about this
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mmmm..maybe, if BROCK ever figures how to put my ACTIONLIGHT back in it's box and RETURN it, BROCK??? (I'll admit it's tricky, but I guess sinceTelephony/Stingmon/Craig, and I, figured out how to place the components in the box just right, and close the lid, and although I keep telling Brock it's OK, use a different box, he just keeps trying and trying...maybe he'll figure it out some day, and when I get it back, I'll ship the Moonlight to Brock, or Telephony first, then he can send it to Brock, like last time..
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

waumpuscat

Newly Enlightened
Great thread for a holic looking for a good headlamp!! Where is a good place to get a BD Moonlight or other LED headlamp of forum recomendation? Thanks guys, I love the forum!

Phil
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...ok, I've been comunicating with Alex at IMO, and it's begining to look like the dual-brightness BD Moonlight was a dream that has turned into a myth, due to old pre-release verbiage on some websites. At first, the Moonlight wasanounced as having 2 brightnesses, then the production was delayed because of trouble with the switch. Ultimately the Moonlight was brought out with the single brightness switch. Some websites continue to carry the dual brightness information, and along with the $7.50 increase in price, and the 140 hour burntime claim (over the BD 70 hour claim) derived from a review in Backpacker magazine, led me to believe
the "new" dual level had arrived. But all of IMO's present stock is single brightness; either on or off.
As of Jan. 10th the BD staff was at a trade show and couldn't be reached for confirmation...sorry for any confusion...
tongue.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only other headlamp I have is a Pelican 3 led (3AAAs) one, and that's good enough for most of my purposes... until I got my hands on Wayne's Elektrostar. I am still 'blown away' by the brightness of the fella... 1W with optics makes a HUGE difference. I compared it with some of my lights, and found the output (and throw) to be almost equal to my UKE 2L. What's better is that it runs on 4 AAs, not 123s, and no separate battery pack as well. Only gripe I have is that its a little top heavy, and a third over the head strap might be a good addition to it.